PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Lurker

B96v6 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Any hope of GPS unlock for Verizon Omnia?

Ok, those two things didn't work either, so I guess it's time for a new one.

Ted (xPOSTech) - how do I get a new phone w/o charge if I bought it online?

Thanks, guys.

Brandon
Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola droid, droid eris for a backup
Carrier: Verizon

phullofphil is becoming a great contributor

Did you compare the size of the file or have a bumch of stuff in the backround running. Go to a friends house and try downloading it from a different computer and flashing there. But i agree that if you bring it in make sure that they cant read the hardware. Wouldnt be suprised if there was some sorta logthat records everything. I personaly never take them in. Most people down at the verizon store are salesmen more than tech so they might just take care of you esspecially with a bunch of costermers wanting phones in there. But i find that calling in over and over again intill you find someone that will help you unfortunally works. Main thing is when you here a no don,t give up never get angry act professional. learn from what just happened hang up call right back you never talk to the same person. They are human and moody answering calls all day long. Try talking to a manager. That being said the best thing i like to do is pay for insurence and pay the 50 dollars. You get a brand new phone instead of a refurbished one. All my refurbished phones were junk. Just like what they will do with your phone when they get it back. Kinda fix it and give it away. I have dropped my omnia so many times falling out of pocket or off my lap on surfaces such as marble concret an steal. I work at the docs and i bring it every where i go. If i wipe my phone of ther is only a scratch barley seen on the upper left corner by the cammera. Had voyager for two days and broke the screen, Dare two weeks broke the screen and almost took a corner of. Eather i am the luckiest omnia owner or they are built really well. Wow sorry of topic to much coffee. Any way If you read all that i am sure you will figur it out. I would make sure its not the files by comparing them. You might not like your refurbished phone. Plus its a chalange. I took a week trying to fix my computer just to say i know better next time. Was nuckle deep in to every folder file on that thing. I could have just put my Restore disks and probley fixed it in a hour.

Last edited by phullofphil; 06-01-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910 Verizon

RGressick is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to RGressick Send a message via MSN to RGressick

your using version 1.0. i have version 10 of that ROM, that may be what your problem is.
do a search again, and if you can't find anything. i can try to find the link where i got Version 10 from. I do wish there was even a newer version because the bit that converts a picture to make it MMS ready doesn't work.

Does anyone know of a newer version than version 10?

i910WM6.1.REV10.CC20.VZW.img

Last edited by RGressick; 06-02-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 PM
N00b

RGressick is a n00b

you have to turn your phone off when you do it.
when you hit Detect, your phone needs to be turned off and i recommend unplugged.
Once you hit Detect, then plug your phone in and Turn it on. It should automatically pull up the stuff and start doing its thing.

Make sure though that you have USB Connection Disabled in Active Sync "FIRST" though
Old 06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
N00b

RGressick is a n00b

Ok, i just had a GAY moment here.
So, i got a link for a Program that will allow you to see and change the settings for the Windows GPS Intermediate Drivers.
So, after having the CC20 update, i ran this and Change the Settings to Port 8 for Program, None for Hardware, and 57600 for BAUD from its 300. and BOOM, it work PERFECTLY with Google Maps AND Live Search. Live Search just grabbed it right away and used it when i changed the setting into it to use GPS Intermediate Drivers. It was like BOOM and it works. So i recommend doing that and the GPS will work fine. Yes, i only got between 3-5 Satellites here where my Bluetooth Adaptor would get my 8, but still, the fact i don't have to haul that around makes me happier.
Now when i am stuck in a City and don't know which way to go, this will SOOOOO help.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=...=post&id=23385 for the Program
http://www.modaco.com/content/smartp...on-smartphone/ and the Page it comes from
Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Lurker

B96v6 is a n00b

All the files I downloaded were about 153 megs, I believe. And I always had the phone off and unplugged when i went to detect PDAs. I then plugged it in and turned it on.

Well, after running out of options, I bricked the phone this morning and brought my Moto Q out of retirement. Dropped by the store this afternoon and my new phone will be here Thursday. I'm on the fence about trying this flash again on the new one. If it fails again, it will probably raise some flags if I try to get another one. I want GPS, but not sure what i'll risk to get it...

Thanks again.

B
Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: bb storm
Carrier: verizon

theidoctor is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by B96v6 View Post
All the files I downloaded were about 153 megs, I believe. And I always had the phone off and unplugged when i went to detect PDAs. I then plugged it in and turned it on.

Well, after running out of options, I bricked the phone this morning and brought my Moto Q out of retirement. Dropped by the store this afternoon and my new phone will be here Thursday. I'm on the fence about trying this flash again on the new one. If it fails again, it will probably raise some flags if I try to get another one. I want GPS, but not sure what i'll risk to get it...

Thanks again.

B

actually it should be even easier to flash now because your phone will have original settings.

To be extra safe, download the files on a cd or flash drive, take it to a different windows xp computer and redo the steps....

i bricked my first phone, got a new one the next day, went home to flash without chaning any settings on the phone and it worked.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

integralaction is a n00b

Anyone try this flash from Samsung yet? Does it unlock the GPS?

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...0&AT_ID=157996

Interesting thread. I must say that I declined the extended warranty so I am hoping for a foolproof solution. Me being the fool. Speaking of foolproof and showing my ignorance, having synced the phone using active sync. do I need to do anything special to get all my downloads, contacts, notes etc. back? I've seen recommendations to use third party backups, but why is that a better solution than active sync?

Thanks for all the info!

Integralaction
Old 08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Yes, this is the ROM update you want for the GPS unlock. It isn't 'perfect' (AGPS needs work) but it is most likely the best we will get. It has been out for a few months now (I see they finally released a Vista version) and is pretty stable. Once you flash to this one, you can go to the Omnia upgrade section and flash to a custom cooked CF03 ROM (I am running WM6.5 now).

As for backing up your info, when flashing all you want to backup and restore is your PIM (contacts, calender, email.....) info. If you do a full restore from a previous ROM you risk negating or at least hurting a lot of the improvements the new ROM is supposed to make.

I use SPB Backup, but if all your backing up is PIM info, a free app works great, or just syncing your contacts to your PC with activesync and syncing them back after flashing.

It gets pretty confusing at first, but it gets better. Just let us know if you have any more questions and someone will chime in with info, answers, links.....whatever you need!

Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia