PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

sharpe4 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Haus Intrepid Tips and Tricks

I feel like the proverbial infant trying to take baby steps when still learning to crawl in the “geek” world.

I went to the “ghisler.com" website to download Total Commander.

• Selected ‘Pocket version’ from the left column tree
  • Selected ‘Pocket PC’ from the left column tree
  • Selected ‘beta cabs’ from the ‘Download the Pocket PC version (Freeware!):’ graph center column (CAB) recommended for Windows Mobile 6.5
  • Selected the ‘arm’ version from the ‘Devices with touch screen (Total Commander Pocket+PocketPC Phone):’
  • Downloaded the cecmd.arm.cab file using my Intrepid
  • After download process I used file explorer to locate the downloaded file in ‘my documents’ as indicated during the download process.
  • I selected the downloaded file using the center button (Enter/Settings key in Intrepid manual), answered yes to whether I wanted to install the file/etc
  • It appears to go through most of the installation process and then I get the error message: ‘Tcmdpocket252_armbeta2’ is not a valid pocket PC application

I tried the same thing as above but with the ‘arm/xscale/pxa’ download which successfully installs. I can go to Start/CE-Total Commander icon and open the program. But I don’t see anything more than I can see with file explorer in terms of finding and working with things like “HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\NotiCharger” in Haus’ tips/tricks. I checked out the buttons at the bottom of the application to see if they reveal anything more but without success.

I checked to make sure i’m using the correct processor/etc by looking up the details of the phone in the about section:
Samsung SPH-i350
Start/Settings/System/About
Windows Mobile 6.5 professional
CE OS 5.2.21743 (build 21743.5.0.26)
Processor: ARM1136EJSMSM7600

Don't know enough to know what I'm doing wrong. Help?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 755p

kcknsummonstaz is a n00b

Wow, great thread, thanks Haus.

I'm currently thinking about getting the intrepid and I know you can tether the phone to your laptop via BT or cable to get internet. However, can you connect it to an iPod touch w/o having to download wmwifi?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Threadstarter

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe4 View Post
Don't know enough to know what I'm doing wrong. Help?
I don't use it, but I believe Total Commander is both a file manager and registry editor. The "HKCU" and "HKLM" designations are shorthand for root registry locations, so you'll need to skim the manual or instructions for Total Commander to learn how to use it to edit the Windows Mobile Registry.

Someone else asked a similar question over PM and I think I found a wiki about the windows mobile registry. Google it and give it a read if you can, it'll help explain what HKCU means, etc. Or if someone else here wants to take a stab at explaining it, that'd be super.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcknsummonstaz View Post
Wow, great thread, thanks Haus.

I'm currently thinking about getting the intrepid and I know you can tether the phone to your laptop via BT or cable to get internet. However, can you connect it to an iPod touch w/o having to download wmwifi?
No idea, unfortunately. If your iPod touch supports bluetooth PAN, then maybe...but maybe someone who has both devices here can give it a shot and let you know. I believe USB tethering requires Activesync on the PC to work (or mobile device center if you're running Vista/7).
Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 AM
Lurker

sharpe4 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
I don't use it, but I believe Total Commander is both a file manager and registry editor. The "HKCU" and "HKLM" designations are shorthand for root registry locations, so you'll need to skim the manual or instructions for Total Commander to learn how to use it to edit the Windows Mobile Registry.

Someone else asked a similar question over PM and I think I found a wiki about the windows mobile registry. Google it and give it a read if you can, it'll help explain what HKCU means, etc. Or if someone else here wants to take a stab at explaining it, that'd be super.

Haus,

Well, I finally managed to be able to see access the HKEY files with regedit, instead of total commander. Used some of your edits, Thanks Haus!! I'm heading over to c lick on the tanks button next.

Can you tell me which registry file can be edited to extend the amount of time the keyboard lighting remains on, beyond the 5/10 second options?

Dave
Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Thanks Dave, always appreciate feedback.

To answer your keyboard question...read this post very carefully:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...00&postcount=3

Note the line in the script about the keyboard backlight. It's the third item that my backlight fix alters, or you can use that info to change the registry key yourself. Note that unless you use my mortscript to make the change, your phone may go in and revert your changes every now and then (appears to be a bug). You can change the value from 30 seconds by editing the mortscript file. 30 seconds seems to work well for me.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung intrepid
Carrier: sprint

katew is a n00b

I know this may seem like a stupid question but this is my first windows phone. I read the post about stopping the annoying roaming beep but I am not sure where to start to execute it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Lurker

sharpe4 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Thanks Dave, always appreciate feedback.

To answer your keyboard question...read this post very carefully:

Note the line in the script about the keyboard backlight. It's the third item that my backlight fix alters, or you can use that info to change the registry key yourself. Note that unless you use my mortscript to make the change, your phone may go in and revert your changes every now and then (appears to be a bug). You can change the value from 30 seconds by editing the mortscript file. 30 seconds seems to work well for me.
I tried the mortscript process several times to no effect. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I succeeded with some of the other registry edits using "regedit" like turning off the beep/sound each time you plug/unplug the power cord.

What's driving me even more crazy these days is the fact that every time I try to take the phone out of the holster to answer a call, before I can answer the call another window/screen appears. It's quite random, never the same screen twice. Sometimes 2-3 screens like the schedule/alarms, contacts, address book, etc. The sprint store people said it's just the quirky nature of windows mobile. I really like the fact that the phone allows me to access work email via the exchange server (unlike the blackberry I tried) but at other times I wish for my old sanyo flip phone. And now I'm stuck because it is past the return deadline until my next 2 year contract is up. another thing I'm having problems with is a very inconsistent syncing with the hands free mobile device in my car (motorola t505). It worked well with the old flip phone but not so with the intrepid. Any thoughts/tips on these issues?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe4 View Post
I tried the mortscript process several times to no effect. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I'm not sure either...*smile*. It works for me, and I think at least one or two other people are using it too. Can you be more specific about any problems, error messages, or symptoms? All I can say is, try try again, following the instructions carefully. You should have Mortscript installed, and you should have the .mscr file in your /Windows/startup folder, and soft-reset the phone. It really "just works". If you go to the task manager and choose processes, you should see the mortscript running in the background using 0 to 1% CPU (depending on whether it happens to be checking your registry when the task manager refreshes). If you have other utilities installed that affect backlight settings, that might be causing a conflict (like a profile manager or something - just guessing here).

Quote:
What's driving me even more crazy these days is the fact that every time I try to take the phone out of the holster to answer a call, before I can answer the call another window/screen appears. It's quite random, never the same screen twice.
Are you using the built-in WM6.5 sliding key lock and locking the phone before you put it in your holster (just turning the phone off does not lock the buttons unless you set the correct option in settings *and* install a locking program). WinMo is quirky, but I don't think I've ever experienced different screens opening randomly. Then again my phone is always locked to prevent pocket calls. A key lock is an absolute must with any WinMo phone, particularly one with 30+ buttons all over the front of the case.

Quote:
Another thing I'm having problems with is a very inconsistent syncing with the hands free mobile device in my car (motorola t505). It worked well with the old flip phone but not so with the intrepid. Any thoughts/tips on these issues?
That doesn't surprise me. Bluetooth on the Intrepid STINKS. It is one of the worst bluetooth implementations I have ever seen on a mobile phone. Constantly turns off, fails to recognize devices, etc. Such is life, when you are a fan of the qwertybar form factor...you are stuck with whatever bone the carriers choose to throw at you. I hate to say it but it will probably never improve. To this day, I get random disconnects from my headset during phone calls, and when I paired my phone to my wife's car and turned off the car, the bluetooth radio on the phone turned itself off. WTF?

If you're really unhappy you could try to explain all these issues to a Sprint rep, see if they'll have some mercy on you and let you try out a different phone. The other option is to buy a different phone on Ebay.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2

kornpopz is a n00b

I found that the following reg tweaks from Moto Q have made my Samsung Intrepid much more responsive and speedy.

? Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\
Changed limit from 16384 to 32768
? Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS
Changed - CacheSize to 4096

Navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\StorageManager\Filters\f sreplxfilt]
Change ReplStoreCacheSize dword decimal value to 4096 or 8192
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Intrepid