PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

vitron8 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
XV6800 on top of being rev. A upgradeable will also have support for VZNavigator with its built in GPS chip. My money id going to the XV6800 no questions asked, plus its a little smaller at least the height is.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: None yet
Carrier: Sprint

Vigilante is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
OK well I've had my i760 for a couple weeks and here is the deal.

I'm not used to holding it yet, there are to many buttons going all around it, I keep hitting things all the time and haven't found a natural way to hold the phone without smudging the camera or hitting the disconnect key which is in a terrible spot. Holding it with my right OR left hand, I find I want to place one of my fingers exactly on the disconnect key. As well as smack on the camera lens.
If I hold the phone higher above those keys, I'm tapping OK and start menu all the time. I've disconnected people three times from hitting the disconnect key cause I wasn't paying attention. This is a big deal for me.

Other than weird button locations, I like the phone so far, pretty standard stuff and the keypad makes things easier. I don't find the dpad all that special for playing games, kinda hard actually, so it is no real help there. I prefer games that point and touch, though I can do Tetris with the Dpad alright.

Reasons to switch are numerous. The 6800 seems to have less destructive buttons on the sides to accidentally get hit. But it has more buttons on the keyboard. It has more ROM, an IR link, standard USB connection, Rev. A, better camera, and (I think) a ROM that can be edited. As far as I know, the i760 ROM is cooked and can't be touched, but the 6800 can be messed around with, and so it will be better for future hacks, cracks, and cool addons. The camera is off center so it is not under where I put my fingers. It has the scroll wheel which is so much better for getting around without whipping out the stylus. The phone is also slightly smaller than the i760, though it is a bit heavier.

I am not finding much reason why I shouldn't switch phones. A couple reasons would be this: I like the i760 fine, I just can't figure out how to hold the darn thing. I've already bought accessories for it, cables and a case. And that blasted keypad is such a nice addition.

I am going to go down to the store and see how I like the 6800, chances are good I'll switch. We'll see what happens when I visit VZ and have a look.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: sch-I760
Carrier: verizon

THEDLO is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to THEDLO
Talking the truth!

i got the 760 when it came out (like the next day!) and from the very beginning i was happy. then phones like the tilt and the xv6800came out, i was some what disappointed about my choice. but one thing i notice is that none of the other phones have half of the features the 760 has. its true the hang up button is in a bad place. but the fact that it has a full dial pad (great when driving!) and the screen is the same size as all the other phones, just that is awesome. it has a nice feel to it weight wise. its got like a million and one themes (every other phone i've used has like 3) , a program that equalizes WMP (surround sound stereo etc..) the other phones don't have that. Picsel browser (samsung exclusive!) lets me view full HTML among other things, and com'on its black! nothing more professional looking then that. it looks great with a suit, or some jeans and a faded shirt.

so it has a sucky camera, i mean really are any of us photographers that we need a gajillian mega pixel camera in our phones? if u like taking pictures get a canon.
it has little ROM....so there are sd cards to salve that? if u have a lot of ROM you'll just get worried that you're filling it to fast and you be constantly deleting things and before u know it you've started a vicious cycle!

as for me i will stay with what is mine and be happy!

THEDLO
Old 12-13-2007, 02:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

kraygh is just getting started
I went with the 6800. Everything else just seems like a step backwards in features.
Got it in the mail yesterday. Go me!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G
Carrier: Sprint

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime
6800 is the way to go, and the only thing with everything else is that even though they run the same OS, they just have hardward that's more adaptable to the storage characteristics of WM5 which leaves i760 owners not very much to work with, cause the OS itself takes up alot more space itself. in situations like the device storage issue, size does matter. which is why i love my 6800 (even though it does have abysmal RAM).
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
Old 12-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
I originally bought the i760, but returned it and got the 6800 when it came out. The keypad on the front of the i760 is awesome but the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

On the i760, when you hit the send button, the whole slide moves with it--very annoying. The connector, rather than being the industry standard mini-usb, is a proprietary connector. To make it worse, when you're connected to sync your device, it does not charge your battery, so you cannot connect to your computer and charge at the same time. Samsung does not release update utilities and rarely releases updates. Most samsung PDAs are extremly out of date and in the samsung "hacking" community, the big excitement is currently getting A2DP to work...

The 6800 is like an upgrade the 6700. The keyboard is reversed, so that takes some getting used to, but it has twice the rom space, same amount of ram, same processor, etc. I'm happy with 6800 purchase and will be keeping it for quite a while.

Before criticizing someone, first walk a mile in his shoes...
Then when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

tom108 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by verizonguy View Post
To make it worse, when you're connected to sync your device, it does not charge your battery, so you cannot connect to your computer and charge at the same time.
Simple fix.

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/PSI-32448.html
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

digit is a n00b
I think the point, though, is why have a proprietary connector in the first place? I don't want to go buy a $13 cable to let an i760 do what a 6800 can with a standard mini-USB cable.

I'm also torn (still using a custom-ROM Apache myself) between the 6800 and the i760; I had been leaning toward the Samsung, but HTC makes such great PDA's, and highly moddable...

In Soviet Russia, the ROM flashes you!

Thanks, Helmi_c, and the rest of PPCGeeks--you rock!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

tom108 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by digit View Post
I think the point, though, is why have a proprietary connector in the first place? I don't want to go buy a $13 cable to let an i760 do what a 6800 can with a standard mini-USB cable.

I'm also torn (still using a custom-ROM Apache myself) between the 6800 and the i760; I had been leaning toward the Samsung, but HTC makes such great PDA's, and highly moddable...
i have both right now and i tend to use the i760 more. i agree the standard usb port would be nice however i feel the i760 build quality is much better than the htc. IMHO.

i have modded the heck out of the i760 and it has handled it very well.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

thermionics is a n00b
Have had both and went back to the i760

I had an i760 but swapped it out for the xv6800 the day it came out. The 6800 seemed a bit snappier in terms of performance, but the solid build and front keypad of the i760 brought me back to the Samsung after about a week. The rev A for the xv6800 will be nice - someday(memory is a non-issue with 8gb sdhc cards and the driver you install on the i760 to make them work). But the Rev A is not as big a deal to me as the features and solid build of the i760.

I'm coming from a year of xv6600 and two years of xv6700 use and modding and I would rate the 6800 build and feel as the worst of the bunch. Also, it had the same issue as the 6700 with not handing off from EV to 1x when the signal was low (like at my house) and I could not find a way to turn hybrid mode off to lock it into 1x.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison