PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 04:03 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static
Re: HTC leo or Touch Pro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
bein the sense UI is just a Skin ontop of the same old android really bothers me, because its HTC having to make the phone better, not google.

We need a phone that is ALL SCREEN! FROM EDGE TO EDGE! LOL

you know what just popped into my head and upset me?.... The fact that the technology is there to SOOOAR above anything we could fathom, but companies are soooo stuck on making money that its really holding back mankind's potentional evolution!

F*CK MONEY! Thats why i never asked to donations!
LOL that is how the system is built my brotherman. They already have the technology that they gonna release 5 years from now. But they do it in increaments. I already new about the Ipod Touch 3 years before it's release. Only thing is, They remove the click wheel on the touch screen. But they replace it with something better.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
i believe its the first of many to come and there will be UBER AMOUNTS of quirks to be worked out with winmo 6.x and a capacitive touch screen.
Winmo and Capacitive screen may not take as long as you think...... TI has been working on it for a while. They has a prototype at the Feb 09 Mobile World Congress. There are videos out there if you google it.

Quote:
When the snapdragon processor comes out for winmo, or more so, when NVIDIA launches in a winmo device (whether 6.5 or 7)
There is a winmo snapdragon phone out there! It's the Toshiba TG01. http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/02...on-photo-fest/

I am too eager to see what hardware manufacturers can do with the NVIDIA Tegra Chips. The Zune HD should be a good preview of that. I am curious though of what changes in hardware architecture NVidia's offerings will bring to the mobile world..... The Zune HD uses 8 processors!

Quote:
Android has been around a lil while now and i haven't seen any new wow factor... its been so lame (in my eyes) that HTC had to create a MASK interface just like TF3D for Android. This leaves me asking, why the heck doesn't winmo or android just have this built into its core and improve the ENTIRE FUNCTIONALITY of the OS.
You miss the beauty of Android if this is your line of thought. Android is based on Open source software, Linux. The OS itself is open source. This allows for mass customization of the OS, the interface, and opens up a ton of possibilities for application development. Sense UI is part of Hero's OS... not an application package running on top of the stock OS user interface. That in itself is an improvement.

Android is a powerful tool

Quote:
They said it's opensource. Yeah right. Manufacturers still have the most control of it. Android is still Android. It did not become Suse, Ubuntu or hundred different linux version out there. The only thing that will make me buy an android phone is if they slap a 5 inch screen in there.
It is opensource. It's under an Apache license though, which means that proprietary software based on Android may be developed. If you wanted to take the Android that Google released and develop it into another flavor, and get it to work with handset, then you are able to do so. It just so happens that right now, the main purveyors of what google originally released comes from the Open Handset Alliance, and that is Android. Feel free to start your own startup
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 AM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
It is opensource. It's under an Apache license though, which means that proprietary software based on Android may be developed. If you wanted to take the Android that Google released and develop it into another flavor, and get it to work with handset, then you are able to do so. It just so happens that right now, the main purveyors of what google originally released comes from the Open Handset Alliance, and that is Android. Feel free to start your own startup
I know it is opensource. By theory. Try to modify Googles android and call it ur own then sell it. See how much lawsuit U get.
That is why they give U firmware updates. To secure the OS from vulnerabilities.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: At&t Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2)
Carrier: At&t

lordvader is becoming a great contributor

Will the Leo be a Windows or Anoroid OS ?
& any hopes of it coming in Oct ? or latter
Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

There is a winmo snapdragon phone out there! It's the Toshiba TG01. http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/02...on-photo-fest/

You miss the beauty of Android if this is your line of thought. Android is based on Open source software, Linux. The OS itself is open source. This allows for mass customization of the OS, the interface, and opens up a ton of possibilities for application development. Sense UI is part of Hero's OS... not an application package running on top of the stock OS user interface. That in itself is an improvement.

Android is a powerful tool
I've known about the TG01 but i'm talkin about being released here in the US. You see alot of phones come out but take atleast 6 months to reach the states.

On the Android part. I'm taking programming classes right now, and maybe i will learn to appreciate the OS more (not like i don't now tho), after I can get deeper into it. As of now tho, I kinda got bored of how simple the UI is... Simple, productive and easy to use? Sure! No bashing there.

The concept of "widgets" have been around for a while now with phones. WebOS open the doors to more creative thinking. They took what they saw in our own winmo "visual task switcher" and the Xperia X1 "Panels"(which IMO doooggged the phone down bad), implemented a similar idea with their "Cards" and hit the ground running.

Why do I have a feeling that Sense UI will become standard for all HTC-Manufactured Android phones? Atleast until something better comes along... And didn't I read somewhere that its called "HTC Sense UI" and not "Android Sense UI"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Will the Leo be a Windows or Anoroid OS ?
& any hopes of it coming in Oct ? or latter
its windows mobile, but the capacitive touch screen would really help in porting over Android

No way will you see anything in Oct. If that phone even gets released in the US it will be Spring/Summer 2010... and thats assuming that a company doesn't come out with something RIDICULOUS by then and just take it outta the ball game...

As my Brothaman Jethro_Static would say:

"The Revolution is Coming! And we are standing right in the middle of it all!"

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
I've known about the TG01 but i'm talkin about being released here in the US. You see alot of phones come out but take atleast 6 months to reach the states.

On the Android part. I'm taking programming classes right now, and maybe i will learn to appreciate the OS more (not like i don't now tho), after I can get deeper into it. As of now tho, I kinda got bored of how simple the UI is... Simple, productive and easy to use? Sure! No bashing there.

The concept of "widgets" have been around for a while now with phones. WebOS open the doors to more creative thinking. They took what they saw in our own winmo "visual task switcher" and the Xperia X1 "Panels"(which IMO doooggged the phone down bad), implemented a similar idea with their "Cards" and hit the ground running.

Why do I have a feeling that Sense UI will become standard for all HTC-Manufactured Android phones? Atleast until something better comes along... And didn't I read somewhere that its called "HTC Sense UI" and not "Android Sense UI"

its windows mobile, but the capacitive touch screen would really help in porting over Android

No way will you see anything in Oct. If that phone even gets released in the US it will be Spring/Summer 2010... and thats assuming that a company doesn't come out with something RIDICULOUS by then and just take it outta the ball game...

As my Brothaman Jethro_Static would say:

"The Revolution is Coming! And we are standing right in the middle of it all!"
Ohh I like what U said brotherman.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Almost a VIP

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
I know it is opensource. By theory. Try to modify Googles android and call it ur own then sell it. See how much lawsuit U get.
That is why they give U firmware updates. To secure the OS from vulnerabilities.
That's just it. You can do that. It's under an open source license. Google released the code. Google doesn't even control the development of Android anymore. They released all of the code (save for the SDK) under opensource license. The Open Handset Alliance now develops Android (which of course Google is a member of).

There is however no benefit of developing Android and building your own release, unless you are cooking up custom ROMs. With such a huge industry supporting the Open Handset Alliance, anyone trying to develop their own release of android is pissing into a 50mph wind.

Quote:

Keep digging into it, if you like total control of your OS, then you will love it, especially when you learn to harness that power.

WebOS has a pretty interface.... but I'm not sure I follow you when you say it opened the door to more creative thinking if the basis of their UI was around already. Really the current crop of UI's aren't all that innovative, they have existed for quite a few years , Finger Swipe navigation, customize Panels/Screens, add your own widgets. These days the implementations just get prettier and prettier.

I think you misunderstood when I said Sense UI is part of the OS. Android gives you access to all of the core processes to Telephony (making calls, sending messages, etc etc), and the other hardware functions. As a developer you can choose to implement whatever interface you want to use those capabilities. Compiled and cooked right into the OS. With Windows phones, it has always been that Windows Mobile boots up, the windows UI comes up, and then whatever UI (SPB, Touch Flo, Titanium, etc) is added on top starts.

Sense UI is the interface, not a pretty package on top of one; when the phone Starts, you are in Sense UI. Linux is great like that, it gives developers and users the power to define their own UI. HTC just happened to develop this one. It's just like defining GNOME, KDE, etc as your GUI for a PC based Linux Distro. It's part of the OS... not software running on top of the stock UI. Much more efficient.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
That's just it. You can do that. It's under an open source license. Google released the code. Google doesn't even control the development of Android anymore. They released all of the code (save for the SDK) under opensource license. The Open Handset Alliance now develops Android (which of course Google is a member of).

There is however no benefit of developing Android and building your own release, unless you are cooking up custom ROMs. With such a huge industry supporting the Open Handset Alliance, anyone trying to develop their own release of android is pissing into a 50mph wind.

Keep digging into it, if you like total control of your OS, then you will love it, especially when you learn to harness that power.

WebOS has a pretty interface.... but I'm not sure I follow you when you say it opened the door to more creative thinking if the basis of their UI was around already. Really the current crop of UI's aren't all that innovative, they have existed for quite a few years , Finger Swipe navigation, customize Panels/Screens, add your own widgets. These days the implementations just get prettier and prettier.

I think you misunderstood when I said Sense UI is part of the OS. Android gives you access to all of the core processes to Telephony (making calls, sending messages, etc etc), and the other hardware functions. As a developer you can choose to implement whatever interface you want to use those capabilities. Compiled and cooked right into the OS. With Windows phones, it has always been that Windows Mobile boots up, the windows UI comes up, and then whatever UI (SPB, Touch Flo, Titanium, etc) is added on top starts.

Sense UI is the interface, not a pretty package on top of one; when the phone Starts, you are in Sense UI. Linux is great like that, it gives developers and users the power to define their own UI. HTC just happened to develop this one. It's just like defining GNOME, KDE, etc as your GUI for a PC based Linux Distro. It's part of the OS... not software running on top of the stock UI. Much more efficient.
I appreciate the explanation greatly... I've come to conclude from a developers standpoint, Android is awesome, As well as WebOS being linux based, just not open source... yet. If it goes open source, i think things would FLY. but IMO, from a general users standpoint, WebOS takes the cake.

What i meant by "opened the door" is that in the past, 1upping another company wasn't too difficult and they were minor things. I believe the usability and efficiency WebOS gives users has 1upped everyone else, forcing companies to start making some REALLY DOPE stuff in the near future.---- Well, thats the life story of technology in general i guess lol
Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:

Oh ok. the code has been released. Since it's licensed, U have to be a developer to modify Android. As far as the end user is concerned, Developer still have the power to control the OS. They will release an update once in awhile to secure the device from being modified by the user. That is the point.

For example G1. People want want a better firmware like cupcake. But everyone is waiting for the release. If people have total control of the handset, they do not need cupcake. They will have something better than the cupcake. But T-mo and their developer still has control of the device. So in theory, It's opensource freedom. But it's really not.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Oh ok. the code has been released. Since it's licensed, U have to be a developer to modify Android. As far as the end user is concerned, Developer still have the power to control the OS. They will release an update once in awhile to secure the device from being modified by the user. That is the point.

For example G1. People want want a better firmware like cupcake. But everyone is waiting for the release. If people have total control of the handset, they do not need cupcake. They will have something better than the cupcake. But T-mo and their developer still has control of the device. So in theory, It's opensource freedom. But it's really not.
Correct. A general user will have no idea what the source code is. You have to be a developer to understand it. But that doesn't mean the End user doesn't benefit from the openess. It is an open system, anyone can look at, develop for, and release software for. This gives the user choice! The Android community is definitely developing steam in this regards. Closed systems, where the manufacturer and carrier control the applications hardly succeed (think Instinct).... except if you are awesome and your name is Apple. But even then, it doesn't provide consumers with freedom and choice. you have to jail break the phone to get that.

Having a locked Handset is a different issue. That is a hardware issue locking the phone down. In that respect yes, the consumers dont have control... but again thats the hardware. Android on the other hand can be controlled and modified.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison