PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slide out qwerty phones, or non slide out querty phones?

I tried searching the forums and looked through manually, so if this is a duplicate from a past post feel free to delete and my bad....

Would you all prefer phones with a built in slide out Qwerty or phones with no built in physical keyboard.

The reason I chose my diamond over the pro was 100% because of it NOT having a slide out keyboard. My old phone was a Mogul, and before that, Apache...about 5 years of using a Qwerty on my phone and I'll never go back for these reasons.

I don't like it when my phone has to DOUBLE IN SIZE and change screen orientation JUST TO SEND A TEXT OR EMAIL, this degrades a phones overall functionality and ease of use.

Impossible to use and send e-mails/texts while driving.

Impossible to remain low key when sending a message because of the phones sheer size, and the fact that...and here is the kicker of them all.......

You have to use two hands to work your cell phone, I think that is a very understated part of having a qwerty keyboard.

Last edited by JQuill; 12-01-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime
Re: Slide out qwerty phones, or non slide out querty phones?

This is why anything with a slide-out QWERTY is much more versitale than the more delicate lightweight, because IMO along with years down the line using this form factor, my Apache survived some major major punishment as well as the Mogul and ultimately the Euro-Tilt (Kaiser) which is a helluva tank that seems almost resistant to dings, and I don't like the fact that the Diamond seems so limiting with 4GB of internal storage with an OS that can handle up to 32GB of expandable storage. That ain't "The Real McCoy" for me at all. Besides that, while I'm driving, why have the device in my hand when I can reply with a custom template while the device is mounted? And if you want a real slim model, look for a GSM Diamond like I have, which is nearly half the size of the CDMA version.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-

Last edited by blasphemous_prime; 12-01-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasphemous_prime View Post
...because IMO along with years down the line using this form factor, my Apache survived some major major punishment as well as the Mogul and ultimately the Euro-Tilt (Kaiser) which is a helluva tank that seems almost resistant to dings
Regardless of a phones resistance to dings has nothing to do with the Qwerty being there or not. Not flaming AT ALL, just saying. If anyhing I found my Apache to be like a sick child, a slight gust of wind would break that thing. My mogul was good but my biggest thing is leaving my phone on my lap and stepping out of my car so it falls from my lap onto the ground. This will kill any phone after a month of doing it over and over again.

Quote:
and I don't like the fact that the Diamond seems so limiting with 4GB of internal storage with an OS that can handle up to 32GB of expandable storage. That ain't "The Real McCoy" for me at all.
This is a very VERY good point. But the only media I really use that is on the phone itself are pictures. For my movies and songs I have my own website/server so I set up a streaming site for my music and access it from my phone with windows media player, for my videos, now on my Diamond, I can now create a private youtube channel that only I can see for all my movies. I think the whole point of a mobile device is to have NOTHING stored on the device itself and stream as much as possible.

Quote:
Besides that, while I'm driving, why have the device in my hand when I can reply with a custom template while the device is mounted?
Custom on screen keyboard template? or custom physical keyboard that goes with the mount? The diamonds on screen keyboard is perfect for me because it gives me ALL options (either full qwerty, t9 style qwerty, regular phone pad style, or all the other WM6.1 options like letter recognition) ... My ideal is voice recognition so I can text message or e-mail just by speaking into the phone. I have yet to find that in any software of device (sounds like something palm would do tho, don't ask me why).

Quote:
And if you want a real slim model, look for a GSM Diamond like I have, which is nearly half the size of the CDMA version.
I like the size of the CDMA version, not too small not too big. I just had the maroon back but I dyed it black.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

And I'm also a business/pleasure user when it comes to the keyboard, and I do fire out more texts than I can count. Besides that, I can care less about the bulk. It's all about using my toys to their absolute fullest without even half-stepping, and me and the woman wouldn't settle for anything less than what we expect out of anything so good at all.

And in addition, the Pro has more than what the Diamond can offer besides the keyboard. I am a big boy with a big appetite, so anything with a set limit is called "League Violation Light".

Last edited by blasphemous_prime; 12-01-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yeah like I said, it not being used to its fullest as far as the storage goes isn't my issue because I have servers that I can stream EVERYTHING from, all my movies and all my music, if I had an iPod I would want more on board storage, simply don't need it in my phone because I stream EVERYTHING. I send fire off e-mails from multiple accounts, send picture mails when I appraise jobs, and texts to everyone. I personally just find it easier to hold my phone in one hand and type with an on screen full qwerty with one thumb if I am driving, and if I'm not driving I tilt the wonderfull phone sideways and HEY! there's my full two handed qwerty keyboard with no need to have one physically bolted onto the back of my phone.

Edit: If you're a big boy with a big appetite get a Ultra Mobile PC...seriosuly, if you're using two smart phones and a laptop with an aircard, not many people know that a couple of UMPC's can be activated under Sprint (or AT&T if you have it) and it is a full sexy windows XP or vista computer with up to like 120gigs of space, works on the 3g speeds of the respective networks, and works with any bluetooth for phone calls. You've probably seen them if you're a big boy with a big appetite, but just incase here's a link http://umpc-review.blogspot.com/2008_04_20_archive.html

Last edited by JQuill; 12-01-2008 at 07:49 PM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison