PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 10:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100
Re: What is actually better than HTC Mogul

GEEZ....Man i love my mogul, im religious to it...

BUT, I really want a smaller sleeker phone, Touch comes to mind...
Then I think about what I love about my mogul.
-I text about 4000 times a month, so a keyboard is really a main need for me(my primary method of communication lol)
-Now that I have GPS, I dont want to go without it. My new computer acts funky when it comes to USB tethering, so wmwifirouter is my only tethering solution. So i sorta need wifi
-screen is gorgeous.

Other than that, the touch can do anything the mogul can do.

Most of us mogulers have grown accustomed to mananing the moguls memory, and while we have it pretty much on lock, once you use a touch or treo 700wx, and can run as many programs as u want, and then go back to the mogul, and have to closely monitor whats running, it makes u realize that the mogul is severly bottlenecked, and to be honest, as much as I LOVE MY MOGUL, im sick of the out of memory errors and freezes and ****, even with the custom roms.
Its like us mogulers have high powered racecars in our pockets....with transmissions that cant handle the power.

Im really on the fence about switching to the touch. Am i willing to give up my keyboard for a much sleeker phone with the same functionality and more memory, and lose GPS, Wifi, and Rev A?? (i know that gps and rev a are coming to the touch)

Or do I stick it out with the mogul, and deal with the problems, and keep all of the features I love?

Man i cant decide either. Im stuck, im having more trouble with the debate, then ive ever had before.
Damn i cant wait for the curve...

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 AM
afx
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

afx is keeping up the good workafx is keeping up the good work

I know I should be bashed for this but I absolutely love the iphone. Its the first apple product I have ever bought that didnt have something similar for half the price.

Even with the lack of hardware KB I can type pretty damn quick with it and the UI is unbeatable.

The internet speed is a huge drawback but I would be all over the 3g one if my office paid for it.

I like my mogul but I dont use it as anything other than a phone because all I do is get pissed when I try.

Last edited by afx; 03-20-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

kingsfan626 is a n00b

I'm still kind of torn between my Mogul and my Palm Centro. I know the Centro isn't WM based but for $10 add on + $10 vision - $20 credit how can I go wrong with carrying 2 phones? The Mogul is twice as fun as the Centro but the Centro has been more stable than the Mogul and my 755p and 700p
Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TouchPro2

ehanhan is just getting started

No Keyboard no care.

The Mogul should have the Ram of thr touch and then there would be no room to *****.

In any instance the design of the mogul can't be beat.. Exterior buttons are great and to me is a serious flaw in the touch..

I fully expect a Rev 2 of the 6800 to come out.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TardoPro
Carrier: Boost

yakky is a n00b

I'd even be ok with the limited memory the the mogul has if windows did a better job of managing it. 22 megs is plenty if it comes back after closing apps. It does not. That can be fixed via software, will it? Probably not.

Other than the the mogul is a great phone, form factor (lots of buttons AND keyboard), nice screen, GPS and RevA make it stand out. Also battery life is great for me compared to some other WM devices I have had.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
Long story short, the Mogul is the best of the CDMA. You want better, turn to GSM & pickup a ETEN Glofiish X800 or the QWERTY packing M800.
M800 also only has 64mb RAM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG Optimus V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

micahmicahmicah is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
GEEZ....Man i love my mogul, im religious to it...

BUT, I really want a smaller sleeker phone, Touch comes to mind...
Then I think about what I love about my mogul.
-I text about 4000 times a month, so a keyboard is really a main need for me(my primary method of communication lol)
-Now that I have GPS, I dont want to go without it. My new computer acts funky when it comes to USB tethering, so wmwifirouter is my only tethering solution. So i sorta need wifi
-screen is gorgeous.

Other than that, the touch can do anything the mogul can do.

Most of us mogulers have grown accustomed to mananing the moguls memory, and while we have it pretty much on lock, once you use a touch or treo 700wx, and can run as many programs as u want, and then go back to the mogul, and have to closely monitor whats running, it makes u realize that the mogul is severly bottlenecked, and to be honest, as much as I LOVE MY MOGUL, im sick of the out of memory errors and freezes and ****, even with the custom roms.
Its like us mogulers have high powered racecars in our pockets....with transmissions that cant handle the power.

Im really on the fence about switching to the touch. Am i willing to give up my keyboard for a much sleeker phone with the same functionality and more memory, and lose GPS, Wifi, and Rev A?? (i know that gps and rev a are coming to the touch)

Or do I stick it out with the mogul, and deal with the problems, and keep all of the features I love?

Man i cant decide either. Im stuck, im having more trouble with the debate, then ive ever had before.
Damn i cant wait for the curve...
+1

I love my mogul - and have grown accustomed to doing my own memory management via xBar. Previously I had a treo 650 and I do miss not worrying about memory - however the amount of useful apps for WM is what made me switch. Thanks to mininova I've got a huge repository of apps saved in a hidden (read non-linked) folder on my webspace. With this always available and an FTP client, I'm able to easily manage using the mogul as a near-primary device. And even in the event that I need to do a hard reset - it doesn't take long to run a restore or even manually reload the apps.

The memory factor is limiting, and annoying. The comparison to a strong engine mated to a weak trans rings all too familiar to me as I have a '02 WRX with an '06 STI transmission. If only I had the gall and skills to use a soldering iron and properly ensure extra memory is installed and usable on my mogul. Currently I think the Mogul(Sprint) and Tilt(AT&T) and the best WM6 devices available. I wouldn't consider Verizon since their data plans are just too limiting unless you have bottomless pockets. While the video driver issue is annoying - supposedly a fix is coming. It's not like our devices are hurting - at least not the way I see it. I can use TCPMP to play movies ripped with FairUse. Telenav and Google Maps work fine with the GPS. PIE, Opera Mini, and Opera have worked so far for webbrowsing, and in a pinch I can always VNC to another machine for pseudo desktop access. I can use FinalBurn to run arcade roms and haven't had an issue yet. The video driver would I expect make things run even better, but I don't think they are running all that bad now. (yes, I have used a touch - and yes they do feel smooth as silk by comparison)

Sprint is the way to go - they have the $99 unlimited plan which anyone can use now. And if you have half a brain and social engineering skills it shouldn't be hard to make a case for a retention plan. I work for a software company who is offered a discounted plan by AT&T - I leveraged this to get a retention plan last year: $40 1000m 7pm N&W 500txt, $10 vision/nav, $7 replacement warranty.

Motorola : S9, T505
Proclip : Mogul Mount, move clip system, WRX & 350Z Dash mounts
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

otacon72 is a n00b

I really like my Mogul but if all the specs about the 800w come to fruition the Mogul is going on the auction block. I really miss one-handed operation and the amount of RAM on a $500+ device is inexcusable.

As soon as the $99 Simply Everything plan came I switched in a heartbeat. Plus a carefully worded email to ecare got it down to $79.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG Optimus V
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

micahmicahmicah is a n00b

+1 on the one handed operation with a treo

While it is illegal where I live, I had no problem driving a manual transmission and texting with one hand on my treo. With the Mogul, it's near impossible - the only way I can really do it is holding it sideways and sliding my thumb up and down the entire width of the keyboard. It's clunky at best.

Other than the form factor and memory I don't see any advantages on the 800w specs vs the Mogul specs. Does anyone know what the resolution of the 800w is supposed to be? I've read 320x320 - and more screen estate is always a good thing. But 80 lines isn't enough to warrant the upgrade price to hop a single generation of product. I'll likely pass on the 800w and hold off for a device with a higher resolution screen and camera along with the inevitable memory and OS upgrade that the later device will include.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

HTC-6900! I miss my mogul, NOT! I upgraded simply because of the memory. I don't text much so I didn't really ever miss the keyboard. I keep a good supply of screen protectors and the Touch is simply awesome! Except for the RevA part....

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison