PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

NYC Guy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What should I replace my Sprint TP2 with?

My Sprint contract is expiring the end of June and currently I am using the HTC Touch Pro 2 which is running on WM 6.5. Sprint is offering me $150 toward a new phone on 7/1, what models in their current lineup should I be considering? By the way, the reason why I selected the TP2 to begin with was because of the 5 row slider keyboard. I must have a 5 row keyboard similar to the TP2's highly rated keyboard in my replacement phone. The operating system doesn't have to be WM and I am open to the Android operating system but it must be a 4G phone!

Also if you know of something in the pipeline that is coming out in the next few months that is worth waiting for I can always wait and stay on a month to month deal with Sprint.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Re: What should I replace my Sprint TP2 with?

Epic 4G is your only choice for now, and it's a great phone! Haven't seen any other Qwerty keyboard phones listed for the near future.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

don't give into the 4G hype and go for the HTC arrive,it is an excellent phone and it will get even better in September when the mango update hits. some 4G WP7 devices are in the pipeline but I don't think they will have a QWERTY as these types of phones are a dying breed. the arrive has one just like the TP2 with some minor differences but I rarely use it since the onscreen keys are nearly the same size when the phone is turned to landscape mode.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
don't give into the 4G hype and go for the HTC arrive,it is an excellent phone and it will get even better in September when the mango update hits. some 4G WP7 devices are in the pipeline but I don't think they will have a QWERTY as these types of phones are a dying breed. the arrive has one just like the TP2 with some minor differences but I rarely use it since the onscreen keys are nearly the same size when the phone is turned to landscape mode.
Why do you make the comment about 4G phones? Speed is still speed!
Also wouldn't you agree that there are far more apps for Android phones as opposed to WP7?

I realize that a 5 row slider keyboard is aimed at a niche market but I really prefer to type on a hard keyboard and I have tried using the touch screen on my TP2 in landscape mode.

Incidentally Sprint is notorious for taking their time when it comes to updates. Just take a look at how long it took for the WM6.5 update to be officially released by them.

Last edited by NYC Guy; 06-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
Why do you make the comment about 4G phones? Speed is still speed!
2 razónes.

1) 4G is not available everywhere 3G is available yet,3G is still sufficient for alot of things just like HD is.
2) it has poor battery optimization in Android out of the box.

Also wouldn't you agree that there are far more apps for Android phones as opposed to WP7?
I agree but alot of those apps could be trash or dupes of ones that already exist, the wp7 marketplace is growing at an alarming rate and is now 2nd on development. I really don't use apps anyway and just goto the websites on the kickass browser that will be even mote kickass once mango hits.

I realize that a 5 row slider keyboard is aimed at a niche market but I really prefer to type on a hard keyboard and I have tried using the touch screen on my TP2 in landscape mode.
typing on the touchscreen keyboard on the arrive or any wp7 device is a whole world of difference when compared to the one on the tp2. because the arrive uses a capacitive screen which is more accurate and touch sensitive than the resistive screen on the tp2. the screen keyboard in wp7 is also being regarded as the best and most accurate stock touch keyboard
Incidentally Sprint is notorious for taking their time when it comes to updates. Just take a look at how long it took for the WM6.5 update to be officially released by them.

it only took them 2 weeks to deliver the security update to the arrive after its release. so far they have a good track record for updates in wp7
my responses are in bold above.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Get the Arrive! Or another TP2.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

i just like the feel of hardward keys clicking. tactile feedback with a soft keyboard just isnt the same.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin420 View Post
i just like the feel of hardward keys clicking. tactile feedback with a soft keyboard just isnt the same.

It isn't just the feel of them clicking but often times I can type without having to look at the keys just like on a normal computer keyboard.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

rip777s is a n00b
I switched from the TP2 in january, to the EVO. I had always thought I needed a slider keyboard, old guy with fat fingers. But I really love Swype. And am far happier with the phone and android. So much faster. EVO Shift is the same form & size, with keyboard. What are you waiting for?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
Epic 4G is your only choice for now, and it's a great phone! Haven't seen any other Qwerty keyboard phones listed for the near future.
+1 Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
-1 Wow....

a) 4G hype? What so hyped about it? Its fast as hell when you can get it. Thats not hype, thats truth.

b) Mango update.... buy the phone now and wait until September to gain full functionality that is already available on other platforms (Read: ANDROID!)... That sounds like Hype to me!

c) QWERTY phones a dying breed? Really? I tend to disagree. I think that is just your opinion. Do you have any sales data to back this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip777s View Post
I switched from the TP2 in january, to the EVO. I had always thought I needed a slider keyboard, old guy with fat fingers. But I really love Swype. And am far happier with the phone and android. So much faster. EVO Shift is the same form & size, with keyboard. What are you waiting for?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
+1 FTW!!! SWYPE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!

I didint think I could give up a hard keyboard but after using Swype on my Optimus S I couldnt ever go back to a hard keyboard. I had hard keyboard phones starting with the Apache, then Titan, then Pro, then Pro2. Now I shutter at the thought of a hard keyboard. They just add so much bulk to the phone. But dont get me wrong either, If you need a hard keyboard... Then you need a hard keyboard. My preferences changed as I explored other options.

BTW: This should be moved to Phone Comparison forum. Just sayin....

Donations always accepted but never expected!

Last edited by scrosler; 06-10-2011 at 01:50 PM.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison