PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6800

jah_rankin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch or Mogul, undecisive!

k, here goes, I have a mogul that's 4 days old from a Centro exchange and is contemplating whether to make the switch to a Touch within 30 days. I know theres a lot of Touch vs Mogul here but I'm more in need of in depth info. I've tried pix mail and TV tweak on Mogul that worked fine @ first, then stopped working with with no luck, I have power vision and unlimited text for free, as a retention bonus, and would hate to loose those function being that is free, I like the Wifi feature but is not in need of it mandatary due to free data plan, with these in mind, Are the Mogul updates worth waiting for, or the custom roms worth making this phone a keeper ? or should I run with the touch while time is available?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

elgreek84 is keeping up the good workelgreek84 is keeping up the good work
I have a mogul man and I love it, but man the touch is cool, if you're not into wifi or keyboard (don't text much) jump on the touch, it has a cool factor that the mogul doesn't. Plus I hear that bluetooth works better on the touch than mogul, ours is currently crippled.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

jah_rankin is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreek84 View Post
I have a mogul man and I love it, but man the touch is cool, if you're not into wifi or keyboard (don't text much) jump on the touch, it has a cool factor that the mogul doesn't. Plus I hear that bluetooth works better on the touch than mogul, ours is currently crippled.

I use to own a blue tooth but no longer do I care for it, I like the wifi function, though it appears as if i pick up a new network every 5 mins or so, however ,if it's connecting ? that I'm not sure, because it ask for a key of which, of course, I don't know, however I still choose to connect, If It do I'm not sure?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

leetsauce is just getting started
The Mogul and Touch were obviously designed for two different customer groups, the former being more business-oriented, and the latter a more market appealing design (probably developed against the iPhone, which really is out of its league).

I've never used a Touch, let alone touch one, but from what I've read and seen, it's not for me. I can't imagine typing with the on-screen keyboard. I do envy Touch users for having a better IM app (OZ Messaging, does not work on the Mogul), but this isn't that big of a problem. A lot of the other Touch softwares can easily be installed on the Mogul.

As for the Mogul, I love the keyboard. I rarely use WiFi, though it's nice to have it available. The BT issues don't bother me because I don't use BT a lot. I fixed the laggy firmware issue by "downgrading" to WM5, not really a downgrade because it's so much better!

I would not trade my Mogul for a Touch, and plus, it's worth more. The real question is, would you trade in that hard keyboard for a slimmer phone with cool touch functions (which, given enough time, will probably be replicated on the Mogul)?

Last edited by leetsauce; 11-20-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 AM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP
Depends on what you want out of your phone.

Go Mogul if you want:
-tactile feedback when typing
-flash with your camera
-the option of Wifi
-to HAVE to have a memory manager program (may be fixed with ROM in '08 )
-to HAVE to reset every few days b/c of memory leaks (may be fixed with ROM in '08 )
-sometimes functional Bluetooth (may be fixed with ROM in '08 )
-to have only enough memory to run a couple of programs at a time
-lots of physical buttons to open programs easily

Go with the Touch if you want:
-the latest thing
-small form factor
-lots and lots of memory
-working Bluetooth (out of the box)
-HTC apps that everybody wants pre-installed
-one-handed text entry (out of the box)

Personally from my experience (4 months w/the Mogul, 1 week w/the Touch) I prefer the Touch. Having all that memory is just amazing when compared to the hoops I had to jump through to make my Mogul work consitently. I don't miss the hard buttons now that I know how to customize the HTC Cube and have the HTC Home Plugin. I rarely used Wifi, and most of the time when I tried it didn't work anyway. I was always accidentally opening my keyboard on the Mogul, causing it to go into fits switching from Portait to Landscape and back (each taking 5-10 seconds). The solid body is just easier to handle, and since it is small it's a joy to use! The whole asthetic value is so much higher with the Touch. It's like a work of art.

I've been frequenting the Mogul and Touch forums and have this to say about each:

The people on the Mogul forum are talking about 3 things: 1) how to get a Touch 2) how to make their Moguls function like a touch & 3) how many problems their Mogul has

The people on the Touch forum are talking about: 1) customizing their great phone 2).... um, I think that's pretty much it! There are so few threads about problems, it's like the community is supposed to be, writing programs, helping each other customize, etc...

So, for me it's the Touch (or Vogue if you wan to be specific) that wins. Other people will have varying opinions. But make sure you do research yourself first, and think real hard before pulling that trigger.

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

jah_rankin is a n00b
Care to explain?
(probably developed against the iPhone, which really is out of its league).

Is this a gesture because of pricing? I was told by a Sprint rep the Touch was price in comparison with the lowering of the I phone cost, not because the Mogul is better,

(I would not trade my Mogul for a Touch, and plus, it's worth more.)

Well said. Is the Wm5 better than 6 or opinion varies?

The real question is, would you trade in that hard keyboard for a slimmer phone with cool touch functions (which, given enough time, will probably be replicated on the Mogul)?[/quote]
Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
The people on the Touch forum are talking about: 1) customizing their great phone 2).... um, I think that's pretty much it! There are so few threads about problems, it's like the community is supposed to be, writing programs, helping each other customize, etc...
Give some time, ppl will find something to complain about, this is the net after all

and honestly, i'll take my mogul + wm5 anyday over the touch any day, the speed of wm5 plus the hardware keyboard and mogul hardware r perfect

I'll put it this way, if you were with atnt, would you get the iphone or tilt, the iphone (touch) just works and works well, but isnt too productive

the tilt (mogul), isnt halfway as stylish, but it gets the job done, from texting to video to music.

neither has a true feature advantage, its simplicity vs ocd (face it, you need ocd to be happy with the mogul)
Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker

dmackdaddy is a n00b
I just can't bring myself to settle for the TOUCH with no keyboard. 2.16 is solid for me, I just wish I had more RAM and I'm hoping those issues get resolved along with the EVDO rev A ROM in 2008. I was close to switching today but all I had to do to talk myself out of it was send to try and send a text message. PITA. And I send email and SMS all day long on my Mogul so for me, no can do.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

g0ldenchild562 is a n00b
Iphone is better
Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

poorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to poorlyduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman247 View Post
The people on the Mogul forum are talking about 3 things: 1) how to get a Touch 2) how to make their Moguls function like a touch & 3) how many problems their Mogul has
Yeah your right, but that it doesnt mean that we like Touch fiscally, but we do like the apps in Touch, Mogul with wifi, sliding keyboard + hardware buttons everywhere and Touch apps is great.
people who wanted to trade in for Touch, they just did it because others could. Think about it, if Touch was released first then Mogul, you'll hear the same thing, everyone will jump for the Mogul. people like always new toys.
Personally I wouldnt change Mogul for nothing beside the Tilt.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison