PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

poorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to poorlyduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj808 View Post
uuuuuhhhhhhhh.... to go from 128 mb of DDR Ram to 64 MB of Ram........ I dont think so.

Its like working at a Job that pays $25/hour with cool supervisors and managers but hard labor.

Then you decide to go to a job that pays $15/hour with strict Supervisors and managers but easier labor.

now the other way around makes alot more sense
ok now that you have 128mb ram what did you do with it? I have like 30 apps installed in my Mogul and I run sometimes 6 at the time and still with 16mb left wich it doesnt affect the performance that much. with one app open I stay bw 20/21, so do we really need that much ram in our phones?, its more of a processor that makes the phone run fast or slow. and I believe both touch and mogul have the same processor speed which is 400Mhz.
check out slither's video in youtube, he owns samsung 500mhz processor and 64 meg of Ram, the same ram as Mogul and 100mhz more of a speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfIkkox01sE
btw that the cube we are working on me and him, still in beta
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

sj808 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlyduck View Post
ok now that you have 128mb ram what did you do with it? I have like 30 apps installed in my Mogul and I run sometimes 6 at the time and still with 16mb left wich it doesnt affect the performance that much. with one app open I stay bw 20/21, so do we really need that much ram in our phones?, its more of a processor that makes the phone run fast or slow. and I believe both touch and mogul have the same processor speed which is 400Mhz.
check out slither's video in youtube, he owns samsung 500mhz processor and 64 meg of Ram, the same ram as Mogul and 100mhz more of a speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfIkkox01sE

Processor= speed of car

RAM= number of lanes you're driving on

You can have the fastest car in the world, but if there's heavy traffic and you only have 2 lanes.. it won't do no better.

Thats the concept I always use when referring to computers.

Now both phones have the same processor (car)... I pick driving on a 6 lane freeway then a 2 lane street.

honestly, I had to reset my mogul numerous times because these web pages be having all kinds of stuff loading on (and Opera now supports flash so that doesn't help either).

For a test:

currently on the Touch...... I'm watching a youtube video /via TCMP, IE open on pocketYT, opera open on myspace, logged on AIM, bringing up the cube, and playing music on audio manager.

I would try this on my mogul but it aint activated. But I remember my mogul freezing up just doing youtube videos /via TCMP alone.

Last edited by sj808; 11-24-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricchini2007 View Post
dude you must love your new phone. the only thing the touch has over the mogul is speed period, and i don't care for the form factor but to be honest when i was in the sprint store more people looked at my mogul and liked it over the touch. one more thing with evdo you have to end the call to browse on line, and with wifi you don't.
Mogul and Touch has the same "speed". Touch has more RAM.... there's a difference.

If I'm on the phone, I have no reason to be on the net mobilly. If I'm at home, most likely I'm on my super fast desktop cruising the net and more.

like I stated, people have to determine if WIFI/keyboard is a necessity or luxury. Based on your answer, make your decision. BUT if I have a Touch, and later on find out I may NEED wifi... then I'll purchse the WIFI SD card, simple as that.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlyduck View Post
that youtube video is pretty impressive. What samsung has 500 mhz??? that new one on verizon??

HTC needs to catch up with Apple and just make a device with 800 mhz like the iPhone. thats why the iPhone runs so smooth.... there's no info on how much RAM it has though, I'm kind of curious on that.

I think the problem with Microsoft is that they make all their OS's rely on over-using the memory/RAM... perfect example is Vista. The compete with OSX, they couldn't figure out how Apple does it (maybe 'cuz Mac don't have drivers)... so they must of said to themselves "Ahhh f*ck it, lets just make the OS soak up more memory to make it seem like the performance is equal to Macs." Therefore, WM6 is the Vista of PPCs.

at the End of the day, I rather have more RAM then needed.... slow or fast CPU, don't matter.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker

poorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuffpoorlyduck knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj808 View Post
Processor= speed of car

RAM= number of lanes you're driving on

You can have the fastest car in the world, but if there's heavy traffic and you only have 2 lanes.. it won't do no better.

Thats the concept I always use when referring to computers.

Now both phones have the same processor (car)... I pick driving on a 6 lane freeway then a 2 lane street.

honestly, I had to reset my mogul numerous times because these web pages be having all kinds of stuff loading on (and Opera now supports flash so that doesn't help either).

For a test:

currently on the Touch...... I'm watching a youtube video /via TCMP, IE open on pocketYT, opera open on myspace, logged on AIM, bringing up the cube, and playing music on audio manager.

I would try this on my mogul but it aint activated. But I remember my mogul freezing up just doing youtube videos /via TCMP alone.
I might drive the two lane street and get faster than you are driving in 6 lane highway, if I know the shortcut to get faster than you are. you have 6 lane highway in the rush hour you will be waiting hours till you get home, while Im cutting all the busy streets and using the shortcut to get home. if your car is defective and you try to use the shortcut it will stop right in the midle of the road and you have to tow it. so basically most of the people went ahead and downloaded this crappy 2.16 ROM and since then the complain did not stop, one after another, even the ones that has already a fine working mogul start complaining just to convince them self to get the touch for free from ecare.
since I got my mogul I haven't had a problem (knock the wood) and still running the same ROM that came with it, if the new ROM doesn't bring Rev A and GPS I will still have the same rom and be happy.
right now, the cube is open, all applications from the cube running and minimized also running youtube video from PIE plus, wathicng yvonne straoviskii, she is hot

Last edited by poorlyduck; 11-24-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH

ScandaLex is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlyduck
Yeah your right, but that it doesnt mean that we like Touch fiscally, but we do like the apps in Touch, Mogul with wifi, sliding keyboard + hardware buttons everywhere and Touch apps is great.
people who wanted to trade in for Touch, they just did it because others could. Think about it, if Touch was released first then Mogul, you'll hear the same thing, everyone will jump for the Mogul. people like always new toys.
Personally I wouldnt change Mogul for nothing beside the Tilt.
You say this like you know all the Touch owners personally.

Most seem to forget that each of us have our likes and dislikes and chosing one device over another doesnt make that decision wrong. I could tell someone not to get the Mogul; but that wouldnt be fair. MY experience may not have ever happened to a happy Mogul users and vice versa.

I used my Mogul for 4 months. OTB, it had its flaws. Like most die-hards, I kept it THINKING that it would improve; for me, it didnt. Out of the 4 months I used it, WiFi barely worked. I convinced myself that since I didnt rely on WiFi exclusely, I could ignore its short comings.

BT was a nightmare. On my end, I sounded just fine, but to my callers I sounded like I was under water. Since my end appeared to be trouble free, I spent a lot of time telling the people I talked with that the problem must be theirs.

When I first got the Mogul, construction-wise, I thought it was a beautiful device; that thought lasted about 45 days. My Mogul was seperating. When I would close the keyboard slider, it wouldnt lay flat. I found that too often I had to push down on it to make sure the thing was closed properly.

Performance sucked. From day one it had always been slow as dog do do!
I've had every Palm Treo since the 600 and all of them were pretty snappy. Google searching led me to the fact that WM devices were slower than Palm; no matter what WM processor speed. With that knowledge, I learned to adjust to the slowness and stopped expecting apps to open in a flash.

Lock-up/Freezing became the driving force for getting away from the Mogul as fast as I could. I have lost count of how many calls and texts I have missed due to this "bug?" It got so bad that too many times I found myself constantly pushed into a corner because people are thinking that I am ignoring their calls. For hourssssssssss my phone would not ring, but the second I wake it up, here are all these missed calls and numerous texts flooding thru.

Resets - The amount of resets I did in the course of ONE day was atrocious. Please keep in mind that I am talking about when my Mogul was stock and when it was not loaded to the nines with all kinds of 3P apps. Either way, I spent too much time resetting the thing.

My reasons above are what made me switch to the Touch; NOT because everybody else could get one. I have a Treo 755p that I had activated because the Mogul was just not cutting it for me.

Many people say sarcastically, that if you want what the Touch has, get an iPhone. Well, I already had the iPhone BEFORE the Touch, so for me...thats a non-issue and an argument that no one will win in my book. People who say "get an iPhone" come off as superior, never thinking before they typed that ish that some of us actually do have BOTH A-C-T-I-V-A-T-E-D!!

The Treos all have external keyboards, so again, not an issue since obviously for me having devices with/without external keyboards doesnt make the Moguls slide out keyboard the goal winner. I dont base the Mogul's importance on it's keyboard.

As someone else stated, these boards were over-run with people claiming they wanted one-hand operation of the Mogul and also claiming that they didnt like switching back and forth to use the Moguls keyboard.

MOST of them were looking for *cough* SOFTWARE keyboards. But now, when questions arise from people contemplating one device over the other, here comes the same folks, swearing by all that is holy, that the Moguls external keyboard is what they live and breath for.... give me a break.

Based on my Mogul experience, I would never own another one. I need a device that works and works well. I've become bored with tweaking the hell out of any device to make it function properly.

I no longer care to keep a device longer than 30 days just because there are forums like this one that exist. To the average John and Jane Public, they dont know about these sites.

If money is not an object, then having the most expensive doesnt mean you have the best; you only the newest. Yes, the Touch is cheaper than the Mogul; but the Touch just performs leaps and bounds over the Mogul.

The absence of buttons all over the place is great IMO. The Mogul just has way too many of them.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Debating the Mogul/Touch pros and cons will not change my opinion of the Mogul being a device that should have been scrapped on the production floor.

And for those that are always so willing to pick up a bat and attack a persons individual opinions for what they feel- ask yourself- what do you gain?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Lurker

joooeeee is a n00b
Haven't really posted much, but great post ScandaLex!

I think I'm going to try to switch to the Touch, for very much the same reasons (BT really wasn't an issue, but doing Settings>System>Memory>Running Programs>Stop All several times an hour, soft resetting frequently, and not getting phone calls/texts/alarms when my phone was charging pretty much did it for me).
Old 11-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLex View Post
You say this like you know all the Touch owners personally.

Most seem to forget that each of us have our likes and dislikes and chosing one device over another doesnt make that decision wrong. I could tell someone not to get the Mogul; but that wouldnt be fair. MY experience may not have ever happened to a happy Mogul users and vice versa................
holly shit, that was the longest post I ever see in any forum, anyway to make the life easy, IN MY OPINION with all the respect to you guys, My Titan is great and I would never think of exchanging it with touch, and I know I can and easily for free, my Mogul will be changed only with something like tilt. since day one Ive been using the hardware keyboard, I did make the full screen SPB keyboard skin for touch users http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=343953, I did give them the hack for using 40 key in HTC keyboard just because everyone was complaining the 20 keys suck and can get use to it http://sprintusers.com/forum/showthr...ip#post1524215, but people like me who does help people like you, makes you keep the touch and be happy. I would never change my opinion of my mogul, so this will be the end of my discusion in this thread because I dont wanna go too far. I gave my opinion and that all matter.
by the way my friend has a touch and he is switching back to Mogul, just because he saw the performance of mine and what I did with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joooeeee View Post
but doing Settings>System>Memory>Running Programs>Stop All several time an hour,
if this one of the reasons you wanna switch to touch, than that it for me I wouldnt say a thing, I think Im just waisting my time.

Last edited by poorlyduck; 11-24-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH

ScandaLex is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex
I dont much care if this is the shortest or longest post anyone has ever seen. It apparently is what I had to add to the thread and you probably said that because it was your post I quoted to start.

My point is, I have been around many forums and no matter what the device, there is always going to be pros and cons. I stated that the above was my opinion but it's an opinion based on my experience with the Mogul.

I am happy as all get out that you like yours so much; many others do as well. But on the other hand, many of us were ready to ditch it out a window.

When something other than the Touch comes along or maybe the successor to the Mogul, we will be right back at square one debating which one is better.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

They're already out there, but those devices don't have too much cons....

I'm suprised we don't have Touch Duo/Polaris vs Tilt/Kaiser threads.....

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison