PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Threadstarter

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Treo 800w to be REPLACED by Treo Pro. As in Sprint will stop selling the 800w so

Sprint being purchased by a "bigger company" would be a very bad thing. What other "bigger company" would want a CDMA carrier but Verizon ?
I'd have no choice but to go with a GSM carrier and buy new devices the moment a Sprint/Verizon merger was finalized. No way I'd be a Verizon (device lock down) customer.

For a larger GSM carrier to buy Sprint would probably be a real pain, given the fundamental network differences. So I doubt any GSM carrier would want to, but I guess anything could happen.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: BB 9650
Carrier: sprint

eve6er69 is a n00b
Re: Treo 800w to be REPLACED by Treo Pro. As in Sprint will stop selling the 800w so

well i had the 800w and i have to say that i really really really loved the phone for the first few months.
i started to notice all of the times i had to take the battery out to reset it.
i though innitally it was because of some of the apps i had installed. i did a hard reboot and cleared the whole thing. seemed to be quite happy for awhile and then a few weeks went buy and it started to lag again.
another deal breaker for me was the fact that i wanted to use it at the gym and i hated those damn usb headphones. i didnt want to alter anything i just wanted plug and play.
i had to finally buy the extended battery and doo from seidio so i could get through the day without having to charge the damn thing. i worked outdoors so i couldnt have it in my work truck charging all the time.

i broke down and got a BB curve and the battery life is awesome!!! and the haedphone jack is nice. i have never had to reboot the thing and the screen is much brighter and better looking IMO.

after all of the treo's i have had. 700wx, 755p, centro, and the 800w i dont know why i have never gone to try a BB but i can say i am addicted to the BB interface and that damn tracball.
i thought i would have been lost without the touchscreen but with the tracball it dosent affect me one bit.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

Eve6er69, some of your issues with the 800w are like my own, especially having issues and trying various things because you think it resolved things and then the same problems are there again despite all the effort.

I've still got the 800w for now, but I can't say I'm pleased with Palm's handling of many of the issues brought to their attention regarding the device. They've done much better by the Treo Pro regarding issues.

I've got a BB Curve too, that I also use. Can't say I use the 800w for the straight up business critical stuff. As much as I really DON'T like BBs, when it comes to business critical things you need something that does not require soft resets often. (Can't say I remember the last time I reset the BB.) The 800w for me is for lesser important business and personal use. Palm's left me disappointed, can't say I'll be buying any more Palm devices.

And I always assumed that Palm would make a 3.5mm wired adapter for the 800w, but they never did.

Anyway, glad you're happy.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: BB 9650
Carrier: sprint

eve6er69 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell View Post
Eve6er69, some of your issues with the 800w are like my own, especially having issues and trying various things because you think it resolved things and then the same problems are there again despite all the effort.

I've still got the 800w for now, but I can't say I'm pleased with Palm's handling of many of the issues brought to their attention regarding the device. They've done much better by the Treo Pro regarding issues.

I've got a BB Curve too, that I also use. Can't say I use the 800w for the straight up business critical stuff. As much as I really DON'T like BBs, when it comes to business critical things you need something that does not require soft resets often. (Can't say I remember the last time I reset the BB.) The 800w for me is for lesser important business and personal use. Palm's left me disappointed, can't say I'll be buying any more Palm devices.

And I always assumed that Palm would make a 3.5mm wired adapter for the 800w, but they never did.

Anyway, glad you're happy.

yes i had high hopes for palm because of the speedy updates like usb update and bluetooth voice dialing.

i later lost all hope in palm. yes the 800w is more of a fun phone (if you have a charger near) lol but i recently changed positions at work from being a tech to being a cooridnator so reliability is key for me now.

if i ever get out of this job or downgrade my plan i will probably go back to one of my palms. i still have my 800w and my 755p. but i honestly dont think i can go back due to the speedy app switching and internet on the curve.

i have excelent vision and i was having a hard time seeing the gps screen as well. well the bottom stats that is.
with the curve they seem to have realized that they have a small screen so the blow everything up so it is easier to see.
the only thing i miss is the threaded messaging and pic mail.
but i didnt use them enough for that to be a deal breaker.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

A report has been made, that a leaked Sprint document shows Sprint will EOL the 800w in April. The Treo Pro being its replacement that will be released on 2/15.

The 755p will be EOLed by Sprint in late May and replaced by the Pre to release on 3/15.

Flavors of the Palm Centro will start going EOL in June and through July.

The Moto QC9 will EOL in mid June.

The HTC Touch Diamond will EOL in July. (This one is interesting, since Verizon might carry the Touch Diamond soon. With Sprint having no Touch Diamond replacement listed, it would leave Verizon as the only CDMA spot with the Touch Diamond. But I guess Sprint feels it would have run its course with them by July.)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Beat ya to it, but not by much

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56262
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Yes you did beat me to it .

There are SO MANY FORUMS here, it's very hard to keep up .
Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

If you walk into any BB store, you can see a display model of the Sprint Pro.

When I press on the key it feel like pressing on a soft gel. They keyboard is a little better than the Centro but not the 800w!

The other thing is fingeprint everywhere.

At least you know if your 800w died, you will get a Pro! So that is nice! Your 800w will die soon. I am on my third 800w in 6 months.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
At least you know if your 800w died, you will get a Pro! So that is nice! Your 800w will die soon. I am on my third 800w in 6 months.
Sorry Chong, that's not the case.

Sprint will have replacement 800ws for at least 6-9 months, more likely 12 months.

Put it this way: up till about a month ago, you could still get your 700wx replaced at Sprint.

So word of caution: do not ever, for any Sprint phone, assume that since a replacement is out, they will free-upgrade you to that phone if something goes wrong. They are not that stupid! As everyone would claim a broken phone when a new one came out and Sprint would lose even more $$$

ps I'm still on my 1st 800w from July ; in fact I have never had one problem with any of my smartphones
Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
Sorry Chong, that's not the case.

Sprint will have replacement 800ws for at least 6-9 months, more likely 12 months.

Put it this way: up till about a month ago, you could still get your 700wx replaced at Sprint.

So word of caution: do not ever, for any Sprint phone, assume that since a replacement is out, they will free-upgrade you to that phone if something goes wrong. They are not that stupid! As everyone would claim a broken phone when a new one came out and Sprint would lose even more $$$

ps I'm still on my 1st 800w from July ; in fact I have never had one problem with any of my smartphones
Mal makes a very good point! Don't do stupid things and expect an upgrade.

And I'm still on my first 700wx from 2006 (I'll upgrade someday!).

late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w