PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Treo 800w to be REPLACED by Treo Pro. As in Sprint will stop selling the 800w so

BTW, PalmInfoCenter's and Brighthand's writers are both negative on Palm and the former especially so on every WM Palm device. That doesn't make them "more objective" because you agree with them.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Threadstarter

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff
Re: Treo 800w to be REPLACED by Treo Pro. As in Sprint will stop selling the 800w so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
BTW, PalmInfoCenter's and Brighthand's writers are both negative on Palm and the former especially so on every WM Palm device. That doesn't make them "more objective" because you agree with them.
Of the sources I've cited, please tell me what they said negative about the Treo Pro in the articles cited?

Seems while they don't praise the 800w, they certainly are not trashing the Treo Pro, Palm or Sprint. Rather they're seeing it as a good move and not speaking against Palm for the Treo Pro deal one bit.

Looks like fair and honest reporting to me.

(I have no personal notes to add, because I'm not here to go personal on anyone. Just share some thoughts about these devices and related companies.)
Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell View Post
Of the sources I've cited, please tell me what they said negative about the Treo Pro in the articles cited?

Seems while they don't praise the 800w, they certainly are not trashing the Treo Pro, Palm or Sprint. Rather they're seeing it as a good move and not speaking against Palm for the Treo Pro deal one bit.
I do regret posting that above since it is steering this discussion away from facts (specifically, lack thereof) to personal motivation.

So once again:

I repeat the request (x2):
  • Do you have any real numbers?
  • Have you had a conversation with Sprint or Palm public relations?
  • Do you have an article or even a Palm investor Q&A where either company on record validate what you say?
  • Any articles that provide the above?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Threadstarter

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

Well this confirms it for me...

Palm Has $506.2 Million Loss on Falling Sales, Taxes
Quote:
The company said it delivered 13 percent fewer smart phones in the quarter and revenue from that unit, the company’s largest, fell 39 percent from a year earlier. “We’re working through an undeniably difficult period,” Chief Executive Officer Ed Colligan said in the statement.

I did catch what sounded like a questioner was trying to get specific details during the conference call, that is still in process, but the question was avoided. They said they didn't want to get into specific device details.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Palm has been having problems for a while now. They have taken way to long to overhaul their OS, which has been virtually the same for a very long time. I hope they haven't waited too long. I used to be a big supporter of theirs.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell View Post
Well this confirms it for me...
Of course it does!

You started with your conclusion and are now googling and researching as much information to put forth as evidence to try and back it up. Any hint at bad news you can find on Palm, any rumor no matter how tenuous you are throwing up to support your position. How many hours of reading and searching did you do today after your conclusion?

Instead of working the other way around like in science.

Palm has lots of problems:
  • Centro is now old/declining in sales
  • Treo 800w on one carrier
  • Treo Pro on one carrier/None in U.S.
  • No high end Garnet devices
They are completely non-competitive in the smartphone market. Their last hope is "Nova" (not a Treo Pro).

But going back to that investor quote, doesn't that say as much about the Treo Pro, Centro and other Palm smartphones as it does the 800w? Why single out the 800w?

Because you have to support your already determined conclusion!

You are not being open minded about this at all. You already "know" your answer and are now trying to prove it.

This is what it is: a company releasing a new version of a device. We are not privy to the reasons why (costs, popularity, production, competition, just because they can), so lets stop guessing.

Why are you so bent on trying to prove this? To what gain? No one is saying your "theory" is not plausible, it's just not any more or less plausible than the ones I or others have put forth. It's okay to say "we don't know" sometimes.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 800w

djjeffa is a n00b

Im a lil confused? besided the bad battey life whats the problem with the 800w vs the treo pro I thought besides the look anf the headphone jack they were preety simular except for the bands?
I went from a 700wx to a 800w and besides the battery life & the headphone jack I have no complants
Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjeffa View Post
Im a lil confused? besided the bad battey life whats the problem with the 800w vs the treo pro I thought besides the look anf the headphone jack they were preety simular except for the bands?
I went from a 700wx to a 800w and besides the battery life & the headphone jack I have no complants
At this point we don't even know the official specs, so it's really hard to judge. It could be a direct GSM port or they could have changed things.

But assuming it's a direct port, a lot of the differences are stylistic (thinner, glossy black, different keyboard, flush screen, no physical soft-keys).

Processor gets a little bump and GPS may or may not be "standalone" (non-network dependent). It also reportedly has the new Mobile Internet Explore (6). Battery should also be slightly bigger plus the 3.5mm jack.

It also may lose the Palm "optimizations" like Palm Messaging, Green Key Phone history/dial pad, their Today screen contact search, etc.

Other than that they share: WM6.1, Wifi, GPS, 320x320, BT2.0, 2MP camera.

IMO, it's more of a hardware refresh than a whole new device and won't be as rewarding as going from a 700wx to 800w (since we got so many new features). Unless you have lots of problems/complaints with the 800w (some do) then it'll be real hard to justify an upgrade.

Last edited by Malatesta; 12-19-2008 at 11:26 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 800w

djjeffa is a n00b

I agree with Malatesta.
I was actually happy with my 700wx but i wanted the nav,sprint tv & radio wich unfornatly I relize that I cant get the radio but atleast I have the TV.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

huerix is a n00b

You guys can debate what strategies Sprint and Palm are taking, but one thing is certain: while I love 'em, both of these companies need to keep vigilant and could easily go out of business or get gobbled up by some bigger company. Therefore, whatever strategies they try could be unforeseen. The 800w getting pulled early could easily be part of the strategy. On the other hand, who the efff still buys Moguls? Sprint has needed to focus on fresher phones for a long time. If it weren't for my SERO plan, I might leave Sprint too.

Both Sprint and Palm have done tons wrong IMO.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w