PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How Microsoft blew it with Windows Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I would like to see WM7 too, don't get me wrong.. But I guess I just don't see what is so bad about WM 6.5. It's a huge upgrade over 6.1 as far as the interface goes.

If my Touch Pro 2 had a better camera and a flash, a 1 gig processor, half a gig of RAM, a front facing camera (with accessible API) and an FM transmitter, I would probably not be looking to upgrade for quite a while (well, a couple years anyway, lol).

WM7 will probably be good, but the hardware and advertising is what will make or break it in my opinion.
ha ha... something we actually agree on. lol Hardware-wise the TP2 could have been much better.

The other problem is that the TP2 (at least Sprint's version) still ships with WM 6.1. Yeah, I know you can flash a new ROM but 6.1 really shows its age. No wonder HTC has TouchFlo installed to totally hide 6.1
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
ha ha... something we actually agree on. lol Hardware-wise the TP2 could have been much better.

The other problem is that the TP2 (at least Sprint's version) still ships with WM 6.1. Yeah, I know you can flash a new ROM but 6.1 really shows its age. No wonder HTC has TouchFlo installed to totally hide 6.1
Yeah Sprint (and Verizon, for that matter) really dropped the ball by holding out on the upgrade to WM 6.5 for so long.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Just wait until the Iphone 4G drops and you will see exactly how far behind WM is and see how many will switch from winmo to the iphone. Think about it like this, if it werent for people not wanting to switch to AT&T to get it how many people do you think would have left already? And on top of that word has it that AT&T is losing their exclusivity so if the iphone 4g drops on Verizon... its a W-R-A-P. I read an article somewhere the other day that the 4G will have 64 gigs of memory and the new ipods will have 128. I like my TP2 but... man
Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Just wait until the Iphone 4G drops and you will see exactly how far behind WM is and see how many will switch from winmo to the iphone. Think about it like this, if it werent for people not wanting to switch to AT&T to get it how many people do you think would have left already? And on top of that word has it that AT&T is losing their exclusivity so if the iphone 4g drops on Verizon... its a W-R-A-P. I read an article somewhere the other day that the 4G will have 64 gigs of memory and the new ipods will have 128. I like my TP2 but... man
By the time all of that happens, there wll be some pretty awesome Windows Mobile and Android devices too.

You're comparing those specs to your Touch Pro 2, but there is no way the Touch Pro 2 will be a current device if there are 64 gig 4G devices on the market.

As for your AT&T comment- that works both ways. Sure, there are plenty of people that would get the iPhone if it wasn't on AT&T. There are also plenty of people that only got it because of AT&T.

I had AT&T, and they used to send me bill inserts all the time saying I could get an iPhone for $25 if I extended my contract (which wasn't even eligible for a discount on any other device at the time). Not only that, but they were showing like 10-20 commercials per day for the iPhone too.

And then there are all the GSM fans who only wang GSM devices.

So I understand AT&T is getting trashed in the media right now, but there are plenty of people that only have the iPhone because of AT&T.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
The EVO Guru

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep

And when is this supposed to happen? I havent seen any windows mobile phones on the radar and iphone 4G is already in the works.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

Well i dont care anymore! microsoft is playing catchup. 6.5 indeed is a nice upgrade.. but if u think bout it.. what does it matter? U can pretty much change your tp2 or whatever wm device u have atm to anything u like.. and the app for that. who cares.. im sure u will find whatever app your looking for on wm now or in the future.. isnt the HD2 something that will be coming out next year? i would def choose that over the iphone 4g or whatever apple brings to the table.. And android still to early to tell. ..

point is..with wm. be it 6.0 or 6.1 or 6.5 or custom roms.. nobody will be satisfied.. everyone is diff and has diff tastes.. but thats what makes wm special.. u can make it your own with alittle work.lol u cant do that on other platforms to the degree u can on wm..

Personally love the tp2.. I dont care to play games all day or looks for places to eat.. etc.. I text. email,, surf, and stream video and audio.. and play a few simple games.. an a host of other things.. and the tp2 does this well.. and the nice screen and perfect keyboard make it a nice exp...though i do miss my pre..great os with a great future..
Old 12-18-2009, 05:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC Touch CDMA
Carrier: verizon

thejacer is just getting started

Quote:
And when is this supposed to happen? I havent seen any windows mobile phones on the radar and iphone 4G is already in the works.
htc hd2? lol. what are the specs going to be on this iphone 4g? because it will still only have 3g connectivity. even if you claim it will have a 4g radio no one in the states offers a 4g network, the few of them are still only in testing.

Last edited by thejacer; 12-18-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:17 PM
The EVO Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacer View Post
htc hd2? lol. what are the specs going to be on this iphone 4g? because it will still only have 3g connectivity. even if you claim it will have a 4g radio no one in the states offers a 4g network, the few of them are still only in testing.
Ok so would you wager your paycheck in saying that the HD2 will even come close to equaling the sales on the next iphone? I think we both know the answer to this.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Ok so would you wager your paycheck in saying that the HD2 will even come close to equaling the sales on the next iphone? I think we both know the answer to this.
Who cares if it sells more or not? I'm planning on buying the best phone, not the phone with the most commercials (which usually has a big effect on sales).

If you don't thikn there are WM7 devices in the works already, you're crazy. You think everyone is gling to sit on their hands while Apple makes the next iPhone? We KNOW WM7 will be released in late 2010. We haven't seen a single one of the devices yet. So for you to write them off is just crazy.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:06 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

lol.. this all still makes me chuckle. then get a little erked. I'd really like to see what these folks could do..

that being said, I think windows mobile has served well, but yes it's dead. get over it, the golden calf will rear it's head soon enough... lol.

so nobody is thinking that maybe windows 'phone' 7 will not be anything like the current wm. maybe it will be more of a revolution then i. maybe it will be like how wm5 and the apache basically made all this possible....
how soon we all forget...

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives