PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTV Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Simpdapimp is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Simpdapimp
How Microsoft blew it with Windows Mobile

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/19/m...ile/index.html

Interesting Article on CNN, thought i would share.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: How Microsoft blew it with Windows Mobile

Not what I wanted to see, but I still love my windows mobile

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 AM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

Bury me with my ppc lol. Ill never buy an iphone. Wonder how long before the iphone is on the decline. Will they make they same "mistakes" as Microsoft? Guess we will see in ten years.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I've been with PPCs/Winmo devices for like the last 7 years. Microsoft has like a 10 year head start on mobile devices but simply blew it. Anyone can see that baring a miracle, they've already lost the mobile OS battle.

In a year or so, I see it really comind down to a battle between Goog'e Android and Apple iPhone.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ronaldheld is just getting started

That unfortunately may be true.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Sprint SERO

badchad is becoming a great contributor

I think MS definitely blew it, but they may still have a chance if they can piggy-back off the success of Windows 7. They really need to get it right the first time with WM7 though.

Look at the landscape of the market. By the time WM 7 hits the ground, we'll likely have: Palm OS2, Android 2.XX, blackberry's consumer-friendly Storm 2 (maybe even Storm 3 if MS is late), and of course our Apple friends. IMO apple will be making some big changes this summer in an effort to stay atop the pack.

All the major players are going to be 2 or 3 (even 4) generations into their "modern era" mobile OS platforms before MS even gets out of the gate.

I think an excellent strategy would be to try and package a free mobile device into the purchase of a new desktop. If every single person that bought a new comp got a free shot at WM7 they could make up some major ground.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

i dont think microsoft blew it. Windows Mobile didnt have anything to offer to the average person. It didnt have any fun games or fun apps so making commercials of it wouldnt make any sense bc it was only geared to the nerds (lol sry guys). So for a OS that really didnt do much for the average person I think it did pretty well. But now we have the iPhone and Android, I think microsoft should really work hard on Windows 7 to make it finger friendly and developers keep it up with the useless (ha) but appealing games and apps like those shake and save stuff and when windows 7 comes out do a couple commercials focusing on games and apps (especially skyfire with flah in the browser) then at the end maybe throw in the extra stuff windows could do like multitasking etc. Remember the average person doesnt care about the geeky things that our phones can do. They need to make commercials that will appeal the the average consumer. We at ppcgeeks dont need commercials bc we know what our phones are capable of.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
i dont think microsoft blew it. Windows Mobile didnt have anything to offer to the average person. It didnt have any fun games or fun apps so making commercials of it wouldnt make any sense bc it was only geared to the nerds (lol sry guys). So for a OS that really didnt do much for the average person I think it did pretty well. But now we have the iPhone and Android, I think microsoft should really work hard on Windows 7 to make it finger friendly and developers keep it up with the useless (ha) but appealing games and apps like those shake and save stuff and when windows 7 comes out do a couple commercials focusing on games and apps (especially skyfire with flah in the browser) then at the end maybe throw in the extra stuff windows could do like multitasking etc. Remember the average person doesnt care about the geeky things that our phones can do. They need to make commercials that will appeal the the average consumer. We at ppcgeeks dont need commercials bc we know what our phones are capable of.
You are absolutely correct "Microsoft didn't have anything to offer the average person..." That is why they are lagging so far behind. Let's face it, it is Microsoft so WinMo will probably be around for a while. But it will definitely (and probably has so already) taken a back seat to android and iphone.
And let's remember, most developers will develop on the platform that has the potential for most profit... which most of the time means the most users.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

The way I see it, the Iphone had it easy. when it came out, it had competition. WM did not, and when there's no competition, things don't quite develop as fast as when there is. consider how long it took from WM 5 to 6, and then 6.1. those releases took a long time to get out and didn't really offer too much in terms of an upgrade. but now that we have the iphone, pre, and android. we already have 6.5 (with updates already coming), as well as WM 7 coming right on its heels. Microsoft didn't screw up, they just needed someone to light a fire under their a$$. so thanks Iphone, without you, we would not have the pre or android, and WM 6.5 probably woudn't even be out yet.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21

So let me get this straight...is everyone saying that its okay for microsoft to make us wait even longer for wm7? That its okay to let the phone manufacturers make windows more user friendly? As x10guy said, it will be taking a backseat to other OS's. I doubt android will be ahead of it though. Simply because google is doing what microsoft did. Let the phone manufacturers create the UIs for the phones to be more consumer appealing. This is where rim,apple and palm nailed it. Make a very appealing,powerful and clean UI. Microsoft has the powerful part down, they just need to make it more appealing and clean it up a lil bit. But to be honest they did blow it. They take too long to do anything when it comes to windows mobile. How can you claim they didnt blow it and they've already lost a third of their market share since 2008? Thats more or less one year people!!!!!!
Playstation 3/Xbox360/Wii/PC..Which is best? Join the debate!>> http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112741

Last edited by smoove21; 11-20-2009 at 12:38 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives