PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
The Inspector Mod
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

gadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Prices Skyrocketing As Early as Next Year?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
So if the fee is 500 million total, and we evenly divide the .2 billion people across all 4 carriers, that would work out to about $10/year per person. Round up, call it $1/mo.

The sky is NOT falling.
That's $50 million per carrier this year, $200 Million per carrier next year, and $500 million per carrier by 2011. So it would actually be $2,000,000,000.00 in fees to the big 4 carriers alone. Not to mention, Virgin, Cricket, Metro, etc. How many carriers are there? 20? 30? More? And each one will be required to fork out half a Billion dollars each year to keep their spectrum. Assuming 30 carriers, you are talking $15,000,000,000 in fees alone, on top of what is already paid. This will kill all of the smaller carriers, and probably Sprint and T-Mobile as well. Are you ready for a $75-$100 increase in your bill?

WM 6.5 Taskbars | GadgetROM for Touch Diamond

Donations are always strictly voluntary and completely appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by gadgetfreak; 02-27-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
That's $50 million per carrier this year, $200 Million per carrier next year, and $500 million per carrier by 2011. So it would actually be $2,000,000,000.00 in fees to the big 4 carriers alone. Not to mention, Virgin, Cricket, Metro, etc. How many carriers are there? 20? 30? More? And each one will be required to fork out half a Billion dollars each year to keep their spectrum. Assuming 30 carriers, you are talking $150,000,000,000 in fees alone, on top of what is already paid. This will kill all of the smaller carriers, and probably Sprint and T-Mobile as well. Are you ready for a $75-$100 increase in your bill?
I think thats a bit dramatic....

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
The Inspector Mod

gadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPeeps View Post
I think thats a bit dramatic....
Just the raw math. I hope I'm wrong. Just like I hope this dies in a committee up on Capitol Hill, but I don't think I am.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

500 million for each carrier per year. On sprint, figure they have 50 million subscribers. So thats about $10/year per person. A little less on ATT/VZW because they have more subscribers to spread it across. I dont see where you get $75-100 hike...youre talking, as said earlier, maybe $1/month.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TouchPRO
Carrier: SPRINT

Kushed is just getting started

Thank you Obama. I wonder why he didn't include this fee (tax) as part of his "stimulus package" and have Privet Reserve print it out of thin air to cover this amount.

Oh yeah, it really is not about giving, just taking.

Stay tuned, for the next episode of the Obama show, from the people who brought you The Bush Administration.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
The Inspector Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
500 million for each carrier per year. On sprint, figure they have 50 million subscribers. So thats about $10/year per person. A little less on ATT/VZW because they have more subscribers to spread it across. I dont see where you get $75-100 hike...youre talking, as said earlier, maybe $1/month.
I'll be shocked if it is that low. I would also not be surprised that as other carriers go away, the government raises the fee even higher to 'replace' the lost revenue. Maybe I'm wrong with the year cost per subscriber, since it was based on an estimate of 30 providers, nationwide, at $500 million each, divided by 200 Million users nation wide.

My thing is that my wife and I are already paying something like 14-15% of our monthly bill as fees and taxes. That seems like a lot to me as it is now.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

More like 251 million users nationwide and growing. I like the country club analogy.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Sprint SERO

badchad is becoming a great contributor

At some point, something has to give. I bet that every major carrier has a room full of guys in white coats that calculate the best way for a company to proceed (e.g. they balance the increase in costs, against customer losses).

Across a base of millions of customers more than a $5-10/month increase will probably affect a lot of people. I don't think it'll be more dramatic than that.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung IP-830 HTC 6800(mogul) HTC 6900 (Vouge) HTC Fuze
Carrier: ALLTEL/Verizon Vogue 6.5 and AT&T EnergyROM 3.0

rdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If most ppl knew the real backend pricing for running the networks it would be shocking. however...I doubt that raising bills $5-10 bucks monthly will effect most of the idiots who come in my store with that same $9.99 ringtone pack they never used and have been paying for the last three years. Most ppl dont even look at the bills. 60% of ppl right now prob pay $20 - $30 buck a month more than they should because they dont pay attention to what they are paying for.

IF I WAS HELPFUL HIT THE BUTTON!!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
The Inspector Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavidsmith View Post
If most ppl knew the real backend pricing for running the networks it would be shocking. however...I doubt that raising bills $5-10 bucks monthly will effect most of the idiots who come in my store with that same $9.99 ringtone pack they never used and have been paying for the last three years. Most ppl dont even look at the bills. 60% of ppl right now prob pay $20 - $30 buck a month more than they should because they dont pay attention to what they are paying for.
LOL! Now that is all too true!

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives