PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC bringing VGA displays to sprint: Raphnel and Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by countervirus View Post
no the mogul has full gps and it is actually better then agps
There's no such thing as "full gps". I assume you mean satellite-only tranditional GPS. "Full gps" is a misnomer since you are implying that A-GPS is something less than GPS when it is actually more.

The Mogul has the GPSOne chipset included as part of the MSM7500 chipset (as you can see in its specs here). If you read the charts on the Mogul replacement you see that it runs the MSM7500A which is identical to the MSM7500 in the mogul except that it is manufactured on a 65nm process instead of a 90nm process as indicated in these Qualcomm documents (PDF, chart on the 4th from last page). If you read the GPSOne wikipedia article you'll see its an AGPS chipset. It can run in four modes

Quote:
can operate in 4 modes:

* Standalone - Your handset has no connection to the network, and uses only the GPS satellite signals it can currently receive to try and establish a location.
* MS Based - Your handset is connected to the network, and uses the GPS signals + a location signal from the network.
* MS Assisted - Your handset is connected to the network, uses GPS signals + a location signal then relays its 'fix' to the server, which then uses the signal strength from your phone to the network towers to further plot your position. You can still maintain voice communication in this scenario, but not 'Internet/Network service' ie Web Browser, IM, streaming TV etc..
* MS Assisted/Hybrid - Same as above, but network functionality remains. Normally only in areas with exceptional coverage.
A-GPS is better than GPS because it can use an assistance server when needed in many ways:

Quote:
* The Assistance Server can locate the phone roughly by what cell site it is connected to on the cellular network.
* The Assistance Server has a good satellite signal, and lots of computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it by cell phones, with the satellite signal it receives directly, and then inform the cell phone or emergency services of the cell phone's position.
* It can supply orbital data for the GPS satellites to the cell phone, enabling the cell phone to lock to the satellites when it otherwise could not, and autonomously calculate its position.
* It can have better knowledge of ionospheric conditions and other errors affecting the GPS signal than the cell phone alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System)

Last edited by akijikan; 04-23-2008 at 02:25 AM.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:20 AM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

i was about to look for that and post it, i swear
Old 04-23-2008, 02:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro

flergle is a n00b

Hopefully the Raphnel has more ram than current mogul.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TouchPro2

ehanhan is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergle View Post
Hopefully the Raphnel has more ram than current mogul.
Frankly if it doesn't have double the Touch's 128 we will be getting shafted considering its will be at least a year older than the Touch. Maybe 256 would be overkill but I doubt you can ever have too much RAM
Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

interesting how they left that spec out of the list completely... seeing as ram seams to generate the most complaints.

To me, any computing device should have a ram/cpu ratio between 1/2 and 1. (400mhz=200-400mb ram)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:59 AM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

So this is the device that will run TouchFlo 2. Interesting. Looks nice.

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

blademan1969 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to blademan1969

that looks awesome. cant wait for it. thanks for the info.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It looks like i will be holding onto my broken mogul until atleast September

COME'ON SPRINT! KEEP UP WITH THOSE BACK ORDERS! SOON THERE WILL BE NO MORE MOGULS! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Hoof is becoming a great contributor

Blah I'm not really that impressed. I really was hopping for a bigger screen a la iphones 3.5 inch screen. The only significant upgrade I see is the ram and hopefully HTC provides video acceleration drivers (though that hasn't even been confirmed).

Man if the iphone was windows based and had a replaceable battery I would be all over it.

Last edited by Hoof; 04-23-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof View Post
Blah I'm not really that impressed. I really was hopping for a bigger screen a la iphones 3.5 inch screen. The only significant upgrade I see is the ram and hopefully HTC provides video acceleration drivers (though that hasn't even been confirmed).

Man if the iphone was windows based and had a replaceable battery I would be all over it.
sprint is coming out with its own type of iphone, ill see if i can come across the link.

http://gizmodo.com/374739/sprints-sa...g-anything-yet

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives