PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: moto droid
Carrier: vzw

cookin83 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alltel Plan VS Droid

I worked for alltel before vzw canned my whole call center but my droid works fine on my alltel plan.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

drjonz is a n00b

Just spoke w/ a VZW Customer Service rep (for a separate issue, no data on my phone the last 3 days ), and asked about keeping my Alltel plan and switching to the Droid. She said it is possible to keep the plan, however, I may lose some features of my current plan. She said the main example would be tethering, and she didn't know w/o processing the order if it was just dropped while I still pay $10/mo or if I would be forced onto the additional $30/mo data plan.

I had things to do and didn't pursue it any further. I know both Droid's don't (officially) support tethering yet, but has anyone else had any experience with this?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The "free" tethering with PDANet does in fact work if you keep your alltel plan

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

drjonz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
The "free" tethering with PDANet does in fact work if you keep your alltel plan
That's good to hear. I guess my next question would be if switch to the Droid, when they "remove" tethering from my account, would they impose the Verizon 5gb data cap, or would I still have my unlimited data carried over from Alltel? The CSR didn't seem sure which features would be removed if I changed over.

The reason I ask is that I'll use between 4 and 13 gb each month, and I'd prefer not to lose that.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

IwireRobert is a n00b

so here the deal i work for verizon and was working for alltel before the switch. you can stay on any alltel plan you like all we have to do is add the data feature for $30 a month if you are already on a existing smartphone plan you just stay on that plan. The phone price will be the same no matter what. depending on store and rep the phone may vary. i hope that answer the questions. any other pls feel free to msg me.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800 > HTC Touch Pro (Alltel!) > HTC Incredible
Carrier: Alltel -> VZW

Ed Zachary is becoming a great contributor

@IwireRobert, any word on when/if VZW plans on stopping people from extending their Alltel plan? Or is this what the OP was talking about re: 12/31?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Koontzy

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Ok so I called verizon and they told me I cannot do it without switching to verizon.

The guy asked my number and says I want a part of the merger with them so I can't do it.

If I can and he lied someone please help me out with step by step on what. I can do without switching so I can get the droid
Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID

jrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good workjrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good work

I originally had an alltel contract (family plan) but was grandfathered in to Verizon. I got my droid to replace my touch pro and I still have the same plan I had before.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800 > HTC Touch Pro (Alltel!) > HTC Incredible
Carrier: Alltel -> VZW

Ed Zachary is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post
So, is the 12/31/09 cutoff for all VZW customers who are still on their Alltel plans or just the ones who are close to re-up anyway?
We re-upped in July (a few days before being assimilated) so we could keep our Alltel plan so we won't be eligible for upgrade until 03/11.

breakmyfootoff, are you saying we can upgrade this month, keep our Alltel plan, and pay the upgrade (not full price) for the Droid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Unless something has changed since I bought mine on Nov. 11th, yes. My 2 year contract would not have been due for an upgrade unitl May 25th in 2010. I paid the 20.00 early renewal fee so I could upgrade early and renewed my Alltel plan (all the same prices features and minutes) for 2 years, and got the MotoDroid for 199.99.
So I went to the Verizon store today and talked with the supervisor. He told me the following:
1 - Our Alltel plan is good "forever", unless we change to a phone that is not compatible with it. We can go out of contract and keep the Alltel plan. Even after we go out of contract we can get new phones for the 2-year subsidized price and keep the Alltel plan.
2 - You have to have a phone for at least a year before you can be eligible to get a phone at a subsidized price. As I said before, we re-upped in July of this year, so the earliest we would be eligible would be July next year. We could get new phones, but they would not be subsidized (we would pay full price).
3 - There is no $20 plan (or contract) early renewal fee. The Alltel plan is good until you get a phone that is not compatible. The contract is used only to get you the subsidized price. You sign up for two years to get the subsidized price (so it is a one-sided contract). He asked me "why would you want to lock yourself down longer? That would mean you would have to wait longer to get a subsidized phone."
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Zachary View Post
So I went to the Verizon store today and talked with the supervisor. He told me the following:
3 - There is no $20 plan (or contract) early renewal fee. The Alltel plan is good until you get a phone that is not compatible. The contract is used only to get you the subsidized price. You sign up for two years to get the subsidized price (so it is a one-sided contract). He asked me "why would you want to lock yourself down longer? That would mean you would have to wait longer to get a subsidized phone."
That is incorrect. Paying the 20.00 early renewal fee (which does in fact exist) allows you to erase the 2nd year of your 2 year contract as long as you are commiting to another 2 year contract with them, and you do get a phone at the subsidized price. I have the reciept to prove it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid