PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

DPrynce is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How-To: Root your Droid

I really want to root. I have insurance on my phone through vzw and my understanding is if I do anything like rooting, they won't replace phone if anything goes wrong. Is this correct and should I worry about this and let it stop me from rooting. Any pointers from those familiar with vzw would be greatly appreciated. I have always been hands on and love taking things apart so am chomping at the bit to root this baby lol.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

im pretty sure theres a way to un-root your device if need be.. as im sure almost everyone gets insurance for their phone i've made the mistake of not doing it before never again.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrynce View Post
I really want to root. I have insurance on my phone through vzw and my understanding is if I do anything like rooting, they won't replace phone if anything goes wrong. Is this correct and should I worry about this and let it stop me from rooting. Any pointers from those familiar with vzw would be greatly appreciated. I have always been hands on and love taking things apart so am chomping at the bit to root this baby lol.
It might void your warranty, but I don't see how it would void insurance. I mean, how would they know when you've lost the phone or if it's fried because it went swimming that it was rooted?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID

jrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good workjrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good work

Finally I've rooted my device and it was surprisingly easy to do and only took me 10 minutes to do. I haven't done much after rooting it except for adding a theme, replacing the stock music player with the 2.1 music player, and replacing the stock browser with the multitouch one. Great instructions!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodizzkool01 View Post
Finally I've rooted my device and it was surprisingly easy to do and only took me 10 minutes to do. I haven't done much after rooting it except for adding a theme, replacing the stock music player with the 2.1 music player, and replacing the stock browser with the multitouch one. Great instructions!
you make a nandroid backup for safe keeping?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side
Threadstarter

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbiexx View Post
you make a nandroid backup for safe keeping?
Best advice ever!
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Old 01-09-2010, 11:09 PM

once again i can confirm this works flawlessly just rooted and flashed the recovery 0.99.2b on my brothers droid

once install the update zip used droid rooter helper to install busybox, rename the recovery image, and install flash image then i used adb shell and flashed image 0.99.2b and just made a nandroid backup and installed 2.1 gallery etc on his 2.0.1 all with no problems or anything thanks once again
Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Ok, this is kind of repeating questions that others have already posted, but I just want to make sure I understand these things a little better. I just got done rooting my phone and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I see a lot of stuff I don't get, so if someone could clarify these things I would really appreciate it:

1. What does "replacing your recovery image" mean?
2. What is SirPsycoS's 0.14.0 recovery.img? Do I need to flash to it?
3. What is the 0.99.2b recovery image? What do I do with it?
4. If I only rooted to install screen capturing and wifi tethering do I need to make a nandroid backup?

There's just a lot of info out there and no one has clearly answered these questions (as far as I have read). Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

Last edited by nerdherd; 01-09-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdherd View Post
Ok, this is kind of repeating questions that others have already posted, but I just want to make sure I understand these things a little better. I just got done rooting my phone and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I see a lot of stuff I don't get, so if someone could clarify these things I would really appreciate it:

1. What is SirPsycoS's 0.14.0 recovery.img? Do I need to flash to it?
2. What is the 0.99.2b recovery image? What do I do with it?
3. If I only rooted to install screen capturing and wifi tethering do I need to make a nandroid backup?

There's just a lot of info out there and no one has clearly answered these questions (as far as I have read). Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
0.14.0 is honestly obsolete... i'd look into just manually updating to 0.99.2b through adb shell or renaming it to 0.14.0 so the program itself (DRH) will install it for you if need be...

0.99.2b and 0.14.0 are just basically re-written recovery images that will allow you to do more then just apply a update.zip they allow the restoration and creation of nandroids and they allow you to install roms and the newest version has a OTA block to protect you from unrooting your phone.

as for a nandroid backup probably DON'T have to make one if your not going to port any 2.1 apps or attempt any framework modifications BUT i'd do one just to be safe incase you ever get frisky and want to try 2.1 a little early... just sort of a failsafe incase the wrong does happen you have that backup to save the day.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbiexx View Post
0.14.0 is honestly obsolete... i'd look into just manually updating to 0.99.2b through adb shell or renaming it to 0.14.0 so the program itself (DRH) will install it for you if need be...

0.99.2b and 0.14.0 are just basically re-written recovery images that will allow you to do more then just apply a update.zip they allow the restoration and creation of nandroids and they allow you to install roms and the newest version has a OTA block to protect you from unrooting your phone.

as for a nandroid backup probably DON'T have to make one if your not going to port any 2.1 apps or attempt any framework modifications BUT i'd do one just to be safe incase you ever get frisky and want to try 2.1 a little early... just sort of a failsafe incase the wrong does happen you have that backup to save the day.

I really appreciate the quick response, but not sure I understand still...What is a recovery image? (I know what recovery image technically means, I just don't fully understand the meaning in relation to Android and rooting) Is the 0.99.2b then essentially like a ROM that has been hacked a little so that people are able to install Nandroid and then do backups/restores?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid