PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got the Droid. Should I upgrade to Froyo 2.2?

I've been thinking about upgrading to the unofficial Froyo 2.2 rom, but I'm really not sure if I want to do it. I mean, my phone is running fast and without any problems right now, and I'm not sure that I should even mess with that.

I guess my question is this: is the Froyo upgrade worth it? What new features would I get? I googled it, and pretty much, all I see is:

1. More speed (it can be faster?)
2. Chrome to phone

Is there anything else? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia I910

Mamba94 is a n00b
Re: Just got the Droid. Should I upgrade to Froyo 2.2?

Really it's got to be your own choice to take the plunge or not. However to answer your questions.

1. Yes absolutely
2. Not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that it is available on froyo
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

Agree with 1.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: VZW

LuvMyDroid is a n00b

I just upgraded from Pete's Bugless Beast v1.1 which is a ROM based on Android 2.1 to Bugless Beast v0.4 Froyo. My main reason was for room for apps. I had just about run out of space on the internal memory and was getting low memory warning in the notification bar. Meh. I had to decide which apps I could do without. I had a couple apps installed that took a lot of space up. I'm talking like over 20 MB. I took the leap the other night to Froyo and of course can now use my entire SD card's capacity for apps. w00t! I installed Flash this morning. I could really take or leave that. Not something I see myself having a lot of use for.
Of course thethings you already asked about are major reasons as well.

Love it and wish I'd done it sooner.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

DPrynce is a n00b

I agree, the ability to put Apps on the SD card more than makes it worth making the move to Froyo. Haven't quite figured out what Chrome to Phone does but it is there. Speed? more? Absolutely. Also it is so much easier to update apps since there is an Update All which updates every app at once so you don't need to do each separately.

All in all I am more than happy I did the update. !!!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Okay, thanks for the info! I meant to ask though; they said there was supposed to be an official Froyo update for the Droid this month. Is that true? And if so, would the official one really be better than the leaked version, which probably already been built with custom roms.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Rumor say the 13th for the official 2.2 release. None of this has been confirmed true and even when Verizon has said that updates would come they failed to appear.

The advantage of rooting and installing a custom ROM is the ability to theme as you would like, remove added junk ware, add things like WiFi tethering, full control of your device, etc. You have to decide if these things out weigh the stock builds.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

It seems worth it to me. One last question; If I did decide to install it though, how would I root my phone? Where can I go to learn this?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

I agree that custom ROMS are the way to go. You may have to try several before you find the one you like.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Okay, I just tried to flash the Froyo 2.2 rom (my phone wasn't rooted, so I used the "for non-rooted users method). But now I'm stuck in a boot loop. What should I do?

Also, can anyone direct me to the official verizon 2.1 rom if it's out yet?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid