nerdherd
Regular 'Geeker

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How-To: Root your Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbiexx View Post
0.14.0 is honestly obsolete... i'd look into just manually updating to 0.99.2b through adb shell or renaming it to 0.14.0 so the program itself (DRH) will install it for you if need be...

0.99.2b and 0.14.0 are just basically re-written recovery images that will allow you to do more then just apply a update.zip they allow the restoration and creation of nandroids and they allow you to install roms and the newest version has a OTA block to protect you from unrooting your phone.

as for a nandroid backup probably DON'T have to make one if your not going to port any 2.1 apps or attempt any framework modifications BUT i'd do one just to be safe incase you ever get frisky and want to try 2.1 a little early... just sort of a failsafe incase the wrong does happen you have that backup to save the day.

I really appreciate the quick response, but not sure I understand still...What is a recovery image? (I know what recovery image technically means, I just don't fully understand the meaning in relation to Android and rooting) Is the 0.99.2b then essentially like a ROM that has been hacked a little so that people are able to install Nandroid and then do backups/restores?