View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 PM
z0mbiexx
Zombway: Eat Flesh

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How-To: Root your Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdherd View Post
Ok, this is kind of repeating questions that others have already posted, but I just want to make sure I understand these things a little better. I just got done rooting my phone and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I see a lot of stuff I don't get, so if someone could clarify these things I would really appreciate it:

1. What is SirPsycoS's 0.14.0 recovery.img? Do I need to flash to it?
2. What is the 0.99.2b recovery image? What do I do with it?
3. If I only rooted to install screen capturing and wifi tethering do I need to make a nandroid backup?

There's just a lot of info out there and no one has clearly answered these questions (as far as I have read). Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
0.14.0 is honestly obsolete... i'd look into just manually updating to 0.99.2b through adb shell or renaming it to 0.14.0 so the program itself (DRH) will install it for you if need be...

0.99.2b and 0.14.0 are just basically re-written recovery images that will allow you to do more then just apply a update.zip they allow the restoration and creation of nandroids and they allow you to install roms and the newest version has a OTA block to protect you from unrooting your phone.

as for a nandroid backup probably DON'T have to make one if your not going to port any 2.1 apps or attempt any framework modifications BUT i'd do one just to be safe incase you ever get frisky and want to try 2.1 a little early... just sort of a failsafe incase the wrong does happen you have that backup to save the day.