PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Free Wi-Fi on the XV6900?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrew View Post
Okay so I recently ordered a Touch for 10 bucks. Seemed like a good deal and the kicker is I don't need a data plan. I saw the microSD wifi adapter and jumped all over it. However the site seems to be down. Any ideas on how to get by this or order from somewhere else? Anybody got wifi working on the touch? And if not I have a bluetooth dongle for my PC so I can access the internet on my phone over bluetooth correct?
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
Wifi may be possible with a card but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Yes, you can access internet through bluetooth.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC xv6900
Carrier: Verizon

ss0mohit is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadesse View Post
HTC Touch does not have wifi. It doesn't matter what carrier your touch is from. If you want wifi enabled phone then buy another phone.
correction. the cdma touch does NOT have wifi.
although i heard the htc elf (GSM version) has wifi. verizon stopped selling all the phones with wifi. if you want wifi, you're better off with a mogul or a samsung i760
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

ldrew is a n00b

Ok thanks I will probably go the bluetooth route. I have seen the discussions about using the SDW-823 MicroSD wireless card. However the link http://www.spectec.com.tw/products_d...ptype=w1sdw823 does not work. I have gotten on Spectec's page but there is no where to order one. I would love to get this to work. Can't wait to set up the bluetooth though.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

ldrew is a n00b

Is the Bluetooth internet connection good speed? Hope it will be acceptable because I will not pay for Verizon's data and possibility of WiFi is slim. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II (WM6.5, MR2), Nokia 2630, Nokia 1661
Carrier: Verizon, Vodafone, T-Mobile

constitutionalist is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs up Re: Free Wi-Fi on the XV6900?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey10tc View Post
What carrier are setting up GPS on. I have helped about a dozen people that I know of with cricket GPS. If I can help hit me up.
Yeah, any help you want to toss my way I'd be most appreciative. I've been following a thread on this model for a bit, but it seems less clear than the one which explained getting GPS to work on my Touch Pro. The Vogue is also on Verizon.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks I will probably go the bluetooth route. I have seen the discussions about using the SDW-823 MicroSD wireless card. However the link http://www.spectec.com.tw/products_d...ptype=w1sdw823 does not work. I have gotten on Spectec's page but there is no where to order one. I would love to get this to work. Can't wait to set up the bluetooth though.

Quote:
Is the Bluetooth internet connection good speed? Hope it will be acceptable because I will not pay for Verizon's data and possibility of WiFi is slim. Thanks.

I haven't formally quantified my xfer speed, but I will say it certainly feels as though it's significantly faster (I have fios for my house internet connection and have a gigabit lan, so the bottleneck is probably the bluetooth. That said, it really zips along.)

Obligatory nutty-sounding black-helicopter disclaimer: By the way, I actually had a vzw tech tell me on the phone a few weeks ago "not to be surprised" if someone at vzw reaches in and tries to cripple my wifi capability if I canceled their wireless internet plan on my phone. I wish I had recorded that guaranteed YouTube magnet, but oh well. So you may or may not wish to take extra steps to physically disable your vzw wireless internet connection on your phone in addition to the not having service, just in case. Although most of my settings kept resetting themselves, I did notice that bogus proxy server info did stick.

The downside of completely disabling its ability to talk to vzw's servers on your phone: you can't send/receive MMS. SMS, of course still work just fine, so it just depends on whether your girlfriend likes to constantly send "funny" forwards from her friends, funny things she sees at work, etc. and whether you'd start what might turn out to be a nuclear conflagration by not acknowledging them.

-------Update------

The proxy tweaking was undone somehow, too. So apparently vzw has some service running in the background (no doubt eating up precious memory) checking for what are probably typically use fark-ups of phone settings. Oddly enough, nothing seems to be at the ready to undo "mistakes" that don't deprive vzw of $$ from users who lack a data plan and accidentally install an app that heads out on the wide open web sans the user's knowledge. I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

Last edited by constitutionalist; 10-30-2009 at 01:35 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Talking Re: Free Wi-Fi on the XV6900?

Quote:
Originally Posted by constitutionalist View Post
Yeah, any help you want to toss my way I'd be most appreciative. I've been following a thread on this model for a bit, but it seems less clear than the one which explained getting GPS to work on my Touch Pro. The Vogue is also on Verizon.
For Verizon AssistedGPS using data check out this link :http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=991526 To get GPS to work without data assistance check out this link :http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78560 Assisted will give faster locks. Hope that helps !!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 PM
sky
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6700/xv6900

sky is a n00b

I thought this thread was for Wifi on the Touch?? I'm often in areas with no VZW coverage, but wifi is available. MicroSD Wi-Fi adapters are all over Ebay (~$40). Will a few registry hacks bring up Wi-Fi on the Comm Manager? I'm anxious to see if someone's gotten it to work. So what if the card sticks out 1/2"; I would only use it sparingly, then pop the 16gb card back in. If not, maybe I'lll just stick with my xv6700 Apache!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thumbs up Re: Free Wi-Fi on the XV6900?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
For Verizon AssistedGPS using data check out this link :http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=991526 To get GPS to work without data assistance check out this link :http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78560 Assisted will give faster locks. Hope that helps !!

Much grass, sinor. I'll check out that unassisted setup, given the alternative benefit$ vzw more than it doe$ me. I set up unassisted on my Touch Pro with fantastic results. The first time I tried to get a lock it took about a minute or so; thereafter it's like greased lightning - possibly even faster than my dedicated Garmin device. Feels that way, at least.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
I thought this thread was for Wifi on the Touch?? I'm often in areas with no VZW coverage, but wifi is available. MicroSD Wi-Fi adapters are all over Ebay (~$40). Will a few registry hacks bring up Wi-Fi on the Comm Manager? I'm anxious to see if someone's gotten it to work. So what if the card sticks out 1/2"; I would only use it sparingly, then pop the 16gb card back in. If not, maybe I'lll just stick with my xv6700 Apache!
Actually, you can use Schap's Advanced Config to make the Wifi selection show up in CommManager but it will be grayed out until you find a way to get a Wifi connection. Maybe if you get a card and set it up, WinMo will recognize it and enable the selection in CommManager. Interesting project!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue