constitutionalist
PPCGeeks Regular

constitutionalist is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Free Wi-Fi on the XV6900?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrew View Post
Ok thanks I will probably go the bluetooth route. I have seen the discussions about using the SDW-823 MicroSD wireless card. However the link http://www.spectec.com.tw/products_d...ptype=w1sdw823 does not work. I have gotten on Spectec's page but there is no where to order one. I would love to get this to work. Can't wait to set up the bluetooth though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrew View Post
Is the Bluetooth internet connection good speed? Hope it will be acceptable because I will not pay for Verizon's data and possibility of WiFi is slim. Thanks.

I haven't formally quantified my xfer speed, but I will say it certainly feels as though it's significantly faster (I have fios for my house internet connection and have a gigabit lan, so the bottleneck is probably the bluetooth. That said, it really zips along.)

Obligatory nutty-sounding black-helicopter disclaimer: By the way, I actually had a vzw tech tell me on the phone a few weeks ago "not to be surprised" if someone at vzw reaches in and tries to cripple my wifi capability if I canceled their wireless internet plan on my phone. I wish I had recorded that guaranteed YouTube magnet, but oh well. So you may or may not wish to take extra steps to physically disable your vzw wireless internet connection on your phone in addition to the not having service, just in case. Although most of my settings kept resetting themselves, I did notice that bogus proxy server info did stick.

The downside of completely disabling its ability to talk to vzw's servers on your phone: you can't send/receive MMS. SMS, of course still work just fine, so it just depends on whether your girlfriend likes to constantly send "funny" forwards from her friends, funny things she sees at work, etc. and whether you'd start what might turn out to be a nuclear conflagration by not acknowledging them.

-------Update------

The proxy tweaking was undone somehow, too. So apparently vzw has some service running in the background (no doubt eating up precious memory) checking for what are probably typically use fark-ups of phone settings. Oddly enough, nothing seems to be at the ready to undo "mistakes" that don't deprive vzw of $$ from users who lack a data plan and accidentally install an app that heads out on the wide open web sans the user's knowledge. I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

Last edited by constitutionalist; 10-30-2009 at 01:35 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.