PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

jiltedcitizen is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why all the fascination for TouchFlo 2D/3D?

Why tap the screen when it can just be on the screen. The Manilla2d is just fluff. It's nice to know that trolls are here to remind us we are all stupid for not liking a certain UI.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

TizOnly1 is just getting started

M2D is obviously fluff. That's what I said in my first post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
TF2D is clearly an aesthetic upgrade, and nothing more.
I don't care if people don't like it. I didn't make it; why would it bother me?

I just find it funny that people actually miss appointments if they're given the arduous task of having to tap the screen one time in order to keep up with them.

EDIT- And like I said before, obviously, there's nothing wrong with wanting that functionality. Sure, if you can have it on your screen, why not? But to cite is as necessity? That's laughable.

Last edited by TizOnly1; 09-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

jiltedcitizen is a n00b

To cite it is not a necessity is laughable. Everyone is different. So you can remember you have appointments, good for you, want a cookie? Other people may not. Or wish to see ahead, why ridicule them for it? Personally I think TF2D would be perfect if you could use any plugin on each "screen".
Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

FINALLY!!!

i have been waiting on this thread for days. i have tried it and i totally agree with you guys. the fact that i can't use normal plugins really tick me off.

thanks for making me feel normal again. i thought i was the only one that thought the new manilla was just fluff and nothing great.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

mtkates is keeping up the good workmtkates is keeping up the good work

You can't see other plugins in TouchFLO because TouchFLO 2D/3D is a Today screen plugin. Uncheck it in your plugin settings and it goes away and you can choose other plugins. Either it works for you or something else works for you. No big deal. As for chaniging fuctionality in TouchFLO, just be patient, it is being worked on and is making progress.

If you are worried about buying a Diamond or Touch Pro because you don't want to loose functionality, don't worry, you can uncheck the plugin and have a normal WM 6.1 Today screen where you can install any plugin that is VGA compatible.

Just chill people...it's a phone.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiltedcitizen View Post
To cite it is not a necessity is laughable. Everyone is different. So you can remember you have appointments, good for you, want a cookie? Other people may not. Or wish to see ahead, why ridicule them for it? Personally I think TF2D would be perfect if you could use any plugin on each "screen".
I'm not ridiculing people's inability to remember appointments; I'm ridiculing:

A) People missing appointments, despite the fact that your next appointment is on the screen. Can anybody explain to me how being able to see your next three appointments makes it easier to make your NEXT appointment.

B) People being too lazy/absent-minded to tap the screen ONCE to see these appointments.

If you want all appointments on your screen... fine. Sounds good to me, but to say that you're missing appointments now that you have to tap the screen once? What if you can't see the appointment, you just assume you have nothing to do? It's not even worth a *tap* to make sure?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

BionicAntboy is a n00b

Heheh... found this thread, and it sounds like SecondToday might be the app for me.

Personally I LOVE Manilla, not just for it's looks, but it's functionality (for my uses). I could see how it would be annoying for those who use the calendar a lot. I don't make heavy use of that feature myself, but was surprised by it's rather thin implementation.

On the other hand, I have to pay attention to 3 different email accounts for work, as well as my personal one, and being able to quickly view each account's latest mail with a flick of the thumb is really handy.

Another thing that I really haven't heard anybody mention is the Outlook enhancement.

When you go to reply to an SMS, or an email (or read the full message because it requires your attention), the enhancements in M2D only load the relevant chunk of Outlook, which makes for a smaller footprint, and almost instantaneous response, instead of loading the full Pocket Outlook each time (or keeping the full Outlook running and slowing down the whole phone).

With the amount of email I get on the go, I've found that the email/SMS portion of M2D makes dealing with email WAY more efficient than the standard Pocket Outlook, or any 3rd party email app I've used (and I've tried most).

That, combined with the contacts, and the customizable list of quick links for Opera have made my Vogue MUCH more usable for the everyday things, than it's ever been before.

That being said, I DO miss a couple of Today plug-ins, like GPSToday, A2DPToggle and TwitToday, but they're more superfluous (at least in my usage) than than the way M2D handles email, SMS and browsing.

The only two things I'd like to see in Manilla are a "Classic Today Plugins" tab, and a more customizable calendar.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

All I can say, is if you are in the IT field like I am, where appointments can CHANGE sometimes 10 times in one day, it's really nice to see upcoming appointments on the main screen. I tend to leave my phone plugged in, on the home screen, and I could see any important information right there... I don't have to open up the calendar. It's nice to get a quick overview of what's coming up.

TizOnly1 must not understand that the calendar today plugin will show UPCOMING APPOINTMENTS... not necessarily TODAY'S APPOINTMENTS... I see stuff coming up tomorrow, and the next day, etc...

It's just handy, and you are welcome to disagree, but I don't see why you keep saying that it's not necessary for some of us.

If you are going that route, I could say you don't need a WM phone at all... hell, why do you need a cell phone at all? The world got along just fine without cell phones.

The original point of the PDA was to help remind us and organize our personal information/calendar/etc... Since this is a PDAphone, it does seem to be straying from it's roots...

I still think that M2d/M3d would be perfect if I could have a page of real today plugins...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

If your appointments change 10 times a day, what good is it to see your upcoming appointments?

And again... I'm not saying it isn't handy... I'm just saying that I think it's hilarious that people actually miss appointments that they could easily keep if they just tap the screen once. There's such an uproar over having to tap the screen one time.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

jiltedcitizen is a n00b

Not everyone is as perfect as you TizOnly1. Why can't you get past that?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue