PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 01:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Carrier: Sprint

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why all the fascination for TouchFlo 2D/3D?

I don't understand why everyone is foaming at the mouth over this stuff. I have loaded two different ROMs, as well as the cab installer to put the 2D version on a few others, just out of curiosity--and each time I am disappointed that I cannot use normal today plugins.

I lose PhoneWeaver, PhoneAlarm, (obviously not using both at the same time,) GPSToday, and many others...

"Manilla" looks pretty cool, but in actuality, the messaging preview is pretty useless, because you can't see it in threaded view, and the email view is even more worthless.

I like the photo dialer, and the application launcher, but the browser (youtube,) tab seems like a waste. The camera tab is okay, but I find myself opening the full album every time anyways, because I don't want to go through one-by-one, extremely slowly.

This biggest loss of TF2D/3D is the loss of today plugins.

Is there a way to get the precious plugins to run along-side TF2D/3D?

If not, this seems more like a toy that people will get bored of. I really hope the Diamond/Touch Pro still let you use regular today plugins...
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Scrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Why all the fascination for TouchFlo 2D/3D?

I am running the M2D ROM posted by backwoods boy, and I have to say I like it a lot better than the stock setup on my Touch. I never really used plugins because my phone is used primarily as a calender for me. I can view the calender on the M2D application. Also I am able to access all of my programs quickly without being limited to the 9 that were in the HTC home launcher. I guess it all depends on what your device is used for. Also this ROM is running very smooth, and the youtube playback is working flawlessly.
________
real estate for sale Pattaya

Last edited by Scrotum; 09-06-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrotum View Post
I am running the M2D ROM posted by backwoods boy, and I have to say I like it a lot better than the stock setup on my Touch. I never really used plugins because my phone is used primarily as a calender for me. I can view the calender on the M2D application. Also I am able to access all of my programs quickly without being limited to the 9 that were in the HTC home launcher. I guess it all depends on what your device is used for. Also this ROM is running very smooth, and the youtube playback is working flawlessly.
I guess what is so disheartening to me, is that applications like this seem to push us towards dumb(think i)phone capabilities.

I still think the coolest application ever made is GPSToday, which phototags every picture you take. Plus it shows how close you are to your nearest contact.

If there was a way, like it throttlelauncher, to put plugins on one of the "pages" or even if I could launch a "today" page from the launcher in tf2d, that would at least be usable.

Don't get me wrong, it's smooth, and pretty... but I already had YouTube that worked flawlessly with FLV, and Opera with the slider zoom on the right side of the screen, and quick access to my images...

Seems that the whole point of Manilla is to give you pretty little previews of a couple of things. Not really to enhance productivity or capabilty. -- but I'd be excited for someone to prove otherwise, because I do love the way it looks and feels...

basically, I need to customize it, like we could with HHC... and I need to build some more functionality into it before it's usable--for me, that is.

Last edited by ScrapMaker; 09-23-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

jiltedcitizen is a n00b

I agree. I love the Floyd theme for homescreen++. Manilla is cool...but just fluff really. IF the home screen allowed real plugins then it would rock. Or if all tabs allowed a different plugin each....
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

sketchy09 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
If there was a way, like it throttlelauncher, to put plugins on one of the "pages" or even if I could launch a "today" page from the launcher in tf2d, that would at least be usable.
I agree about today plugins, this is why Second Today is such a fantastic app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ighlight=today

HOWEVER, I have been unable to change the left soft key in the home screen of TF2D to link to the second today screen. Supposedly this works in TF3D (don't have a diamond yet). My workaround has been to link to Second Today as my first program link.

-R
Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Incredible
Carrier: Sprint Sero Baby!!!

gedster314 is keeping up the good workgedster314 is keeping up the good work

I don't like it either. I just find having short cuts on the today page more efficient. I don't need the fufu animation. I'm quit happy running one of JD's earlier stripped roms. It's fast, stable and everything I use works well.

Manilla is pretty but if pretty was important, I'ld have an iphone.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Scrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The asthetics of manilla are not what led me to using it. For me it is easier for what I use my device for. The majority of my time is spent out in the field so I need to have access to my calender, which was always there. But the preview for text makes it easy for me to see if i need to respond, I always hated the preview that popped on the screen. Also the same goes for email, I can read just enough to know if it requires an immediate response. So I wouldn't view it as making this into more of a dumbphone, as I am still able to easily do the things I purchased a WM phone for to begin with.
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by Scrotum; 09-06-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:25 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy09 View Post
I agree about today plugins, this is why Second Today is such a fantastic app:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ighlight=today

HOWEVER, I have been unable to change the left soft key in the home screen of TF2D to link to the second today screen. Supposedly this works in TF3D (don't have a diamond yet). My workaround has been to link to Second Today as my first program link.

-R
Simply Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
I don't like it either. I just find having short cuts on the today page more efficient. I don't need the fufu animation. I'm quit happy running one of JD's earlier stripped roms. It's fast, stable and everything I use works well.

Manilla is pretty but if pretty was important, I'ld have an iphone.
The animation is okay, but it makes me wonder if it hurts performance in other ways as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrotum View Post
The asthetics of manilla are not what led me to using it. For me it is easier for what I use my device for. The majority of my time is spent out in the field so I need to have access to my calender, which was always there. But the preview for text makes it easy for me to see if i need to respond, I always hated the preview that popped on the screen. Also the same goes for email, I can read just enough to know if it requires an immediate response. So I wouldn't view it as making this into more of a dumbphone, as I am still able to easily do the things I purchased a WM phone for to begin with.
I use my calendar a lot--and if you say you use it a lot too, wouldn't you want a NON-TF2D phone? That shows all your calendar appointments on the Today screen?

I had my left softkey assigned to thumbcal before this, and my right to icontacts, and now it seems I have to jump through hoops to get to either of them.

Like I said.. fun toy..

Maybe with the "Second Today" application, I can get used to this--because I am getting the Pro the first day it comes out to Sprint... I want to make sure I won't be disappointed--the main reason I am even entertaining the idea of TF2D/3D

I really just want WM7 to come out already, so we won't need silly overlays like this anymore...
Old 09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility

bossman74 is becoming a great contributor

I used to run mobile shell 2.1.2 before I switched to Manila 2D.

The more I use it the more I miss Mobile shell...

I do like the messaging (email & text) preview as well, but the other tabs are just fluff. No real usability here...

The new volume control and system status manager are nice, I wonder if they would work on the old shell?

Last edited by bossman74; 09-23-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility

fablife is just getting started

It really depends on what type of user you are...for the more avid ppc users who need access to specific apps from their today screens or use the more enhanced apps - TF may not be the apps of choice for you.

But for users such as myself who use their ppc to brows the web (i.e. facebook etc), listen to music, show off some pics, want a quick idea of what the weather is like, want to launch an apps that does not have a today plugin, quickly read sms/emails recieved or find some directions very quickly- TF is great!

I agree with the OP - there are apps out there that are much better than TF - but for my usage TF fits the ticket.

That and I did not have to buy a diamond to get it thanks to Vet and all the other devs that got it working, tweaked and skinned!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue