PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Notice About Stealing Software, NFSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
ROFL - please stop, your killing me.

Tell me what you want...if it's reasonable and you escrow sufficient funds up front, I'll make it for you.
big guru...relax...

to be very honest...i think this is getting out of hand..

I sincerely request that a mod please close the thread and leave it for viewing. I'm getting tired of explaining to people that there is NO WAY that one can justifying doing what he did. period.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (cdma)
Carrier: Bell

noogies is becoming a great contributor

I think I have a pretty good grasp of what is happening here.

NFSFAN saw that BELL users needs were not being addressed except as an afterthought by other cooks. So, he decides to build a "Bell Mobility" rom.

Assembling his rom from many sources, he solves some issues with BELL vogue owners ability to get a GPS lock. All hail NFSFAN for taking care of us Bell users. Yay.

Sprint users hearing about all the accolades we Bell users are heaping upon him, pester him to release a Sprint version of his rom.

None of the cooks gave a rats *** about NFSFAN because they had their own groupies. But when their groupies started talking about how good NFSFAN's sprint rom was, the green eyed monster started to take notice.

Other (non Bell) cooks decided to investigate. Some used parts of the NFSFAN rom to better their own roms. Lets face it, he had a knack for picking out the best stuff and incorporating it in his ROM. Others just tried to make trouble in the NFSFAN thread.

One chef, noticing artwork of his, brought it to NFSFAN's attention, stating that he'd like credit for the work that was incorporated into NFSFAN's Rom. NFSFAN basically ignored the request, and shortly thereafter added "Protection" to prevent piracy of his rom. (what was he thinking?)

Most of this is simply part and parcel to hacking roms which nobody has permission to hack anyway. Neither Microsoft nor HTC have given their blessing to any one at PPCGeeks, XDA or any other forum. You are all dealing in Warez no matter how you want to sugar coat it. (original works notwithstanding of course)

However, NFSFAN did the ONE thing that provided the Ammunition to get him shut down here at PPCGeeks.

He blatently Plagerized the work of one of his PEERS. And this is cause for total shunning in almost any circle.

Others have copied the works of peers without permission. It's part of the game. The meticulous ones attempt to give credit for everything, whenever they can. Some only give credit if they have to. Some never give credit, but they leave the work as is. No hex-editor naughtyness.

I for one will continue using NFSFAN's rom because I LIKE IT. I don't mind using pirated software, and I really don't care if he stole no2chems work, because, well, i also don't care that we're all stealing Microsofts work. If PPCGeeks enforced their "Warez" rule, their own kitchen would be banned. (unless of course, Microsoft has given their blessing.)

However, I totally get that among you software developers, his name is mud!

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once. Never Opened. Small Stain.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i think we need to get past the illegal/legal bit. all our ****t is ripped from here and there. thats what makes windows mobile awesome. it is open to the community. but to put the effort to remove the creators name is just wrong. when u go into the 'about' section of an app I WANT it to have the original authors name and version. if there is no 'about' section the the title is used. to 'scratch' that off and change the name is wrong dudes.

we all know he changed the names to give his rom a cleaner/homogenized look. so enough defending him and his 'honest' mistake.

build the fing rom with the apps, dont change the titles. it will just confuse us all and piss off the creator. have some respect guys.

maybe we should only allow donate buttons in post that actually have a download in them. it seems like everyone has a donate thingy these days in there sig.
like:

"hey u need to soft reset.

------------------------------------------------------
Donate to me for the brilliant fing answer!"

sh1ts annoying.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

wolfdv is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsall_cooool View Post
LoL @ the fanboy... "its just some code"..
really, your actually comparing writing a bit of code to writing a book or a creating a work of art.. okay then

seriously, this code will only be appreciated by a small enthusiast group of people, and even then it will have a relatively short shelve life. seriously you think the programmers of the 80's have many current follower for their homebrew community "works of art"

writing code, athough being an artform, to me is more being a good comedian.

If you're funny, great.. if people start to tell your jokes even better. Are those people necessarily gonna care where the joke came from, not really, just thats is currently good. Like a nice joke, code has an expiry date. Just be happy in the present that people think your funny now, because eventually that joke goes stale and really doesn't matter anymore.

ok, its not a perfect anoloygy .. the point is, just be happy that people are enjoying your work, dont be so anal about if its necessarily being credited back to you. .. your already famous (im refering to nochem). does it really matter in the long run that nfsfan may haveplagiarized some code... not really. (and even then is not paid software, its simply just some homebrew hacks, lets get realistic people.. plus I think he changed it just to help the end users anyways)

good art and books are almost timeless ... NueUSB, although a very usefull piece of art right now, definitely wont matter to much in a couple of years.

So lets just make up, and be happy that presently people are using it and contributing to the ppc scene. Talk about making a huge deal out of really nothing... people need to chill out and go outside for a bit.. do a reality check on the whole situation ... its pretty silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow-tech View Post
i think we need to get past the illegal/legal bit. all our ****t is ripped from here and there. thats what makes windows mobile awesome. it is open to the community. but to put the effort to remove the creators name is just wrong. when u go into the 'about' section of an app I WANT it to have the original authors name and version. if there is no 'about' section the the title is used. to 'scratch' that off and change the name is wrong dudes.

we all know he changed the names to give his rom a cleaner/homogenized look. so enough defending him and his 'honest' mistake.

build the fing rom with the apps, dont change the titles. it will just confuse us all and piss off the creator. have some respect guys.
I 100% agree with this... .. yes its wrong, but really .. not the end of the world.. is a free community.. thats what happens overall.

Last edited by wolfdv; 09-15-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxy View Post
big guru...relax...
? That was a serious offer.

Quote:
to be very honest...i think this is getting out of hand..

I sincerely request that a mod please close the thread and leave it for viewing. I'm getting tired of explaining to people that there is NO WAY that one can justifying doing what he did. period.
I totally agree. Time to find something else to do. Maybe I'll fix my software
Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC VOGUE

Moekind is just getting started

"NFSFAN saw that BELL users needs were not being addressed except as an afterthought by other cooks. So, he decides to build a "Bell Mobility" rom. " - noogies

Bell users suffer greatly from this.....
He was our only good chef *tear*tear*
All the other good chefs are sprinters and verizoners

Bell users suffer the most from this!
I cant say he had the best roms,
but I can say he had the best BELL roms!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC VOGUE

Moekind is just getting started

We need another Bell Saviour now!!!
Someone come forward and take the mantle.....

Now its back to being third class for us Bell users!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Hell mobility

portenio is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
I totally agree. Time to find something else to do. Maybe I'll fix my software
TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN....
Find something else to do... Fix your "your" software of fall head first from that moutain top of yours or better yet... just do like a magician and disappear already...
Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexVision View Post
Wow are all Bell users this dumb?
all that 8.5% beer they got up there. <--low blow

just kidding...i love canadia.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Hell mobility

portenio is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekind View Post
"NFSFAN saw that BELL users needs were not being addressed except as an afterthought by other cooks. So, he decides to build a "Bell Mobility" rom. " - noogies

Bell users suffer greatly from this.....
He was our only good chef *tear*tear*
All the other good chefs are sprinters and verizoners

Bell users suffer the most from this!
I cant say he had the best roms,
but I can say he had the best BELL roms!
Now this guy is right on the money....
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue