PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

rmarshll is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Notice About Stealing Software, NFSFAN

I just wanted to respond, about this. I never told NFSFAN that it was my 1% battery fix. all I did was help him add it to the battery drivers in his kitchen. so im really sorry. I actually had no idea that he credited me for this. during this time I helped him make a couple of oems to that were not available. If it helps at all I have a copy of his 1.17 kitchen id you would like to look at it. again sorry for the confusion. and thanks for your contributions.

For those who don't know, nueUSB was something I coded up for use with the mass storage driver that is compatible with MSM7500 devices. I'm not sure who rmarshll is, but from what I've seen, only cmonex and myself currently even know how to do the "1% battery fix", and indeed, the battery.dll is a one-for-one hex match with the version that I released several months ago.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

thanks for agreeing with me but i dont agree with u. u are belittling someone's creation, pride and joy. i program microcontrollers. it can take 18+ pages of code just to perform some task. it is very comparable to a book because they are both intellectual property. We in America take this seriously. Intellectual property is now one of our most vital exports. We invent all the cool stuff and the rest of the world steals/copies it. I know this is a bit 'macro' for this thread, but how can u defend him? just cause you use it. accepting stolen merchandise is illegal in America.

P.S. you should be thanking OUR defense department for that precious GPS u are using.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint
Threadstarter

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdv View Post
So he used nochems work, big deal.. at least its being used; isnt that good enough. NFSFAN's roms are used by thousands of people, I would be happy just to know that my work was being used regardless of if I was credited or not. (I realize that nochem's work is used by most of the chefs for a variety of reasons, I think its already generally accepted by everyone that he has done alot for the ppc community (wouldnt be the same without him), regardless if he wasnt officially credited or not on this rom, oh well.

Yes, nfsfan should have gave nochem proper accreditation, but even if not .. so freakin what? really its just some code, in a matter of years it will be long forgotten anyways.
Clearly, you failed to read the thread. I would close this thread, but it seems that half the people didn't get the message. No, he isn't banned because he failed to credit me. He is banned because he stole my software, edited and claimed it was his. This would be equivalent to taking a popular piece of freeware, take FIREFOX for example, and replacing every occurence with NFSFANFOX. You bet Mozilla would be more than happy to sue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdv
ya Nochem, we know you do alot for everyone around here, but let it go, do you really have to be thanked and credited every single time? Seems a little conceited/arrogant to me..

NFSFAN should at least be able to defend himself from all the flaming and accusations ..
Um no, I didn't ask for that, I just ask that my software not be edited in such a manner, and that people respect my license agreement. As for NFSFAN being able to defend himself, he's been given a chance several times already. Like we've mentioned, this isn't his first offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenny View Post
Alright so here's a question for everyone, why isn't all the threads with Manila 2D removed and the people who posted them banned?
Totally different. Manila 2D is HTC's. As far as I know, no one has edited out the about page to show that HTC didn't make it, and I'm sure if anyone did that here, they would be banned as well. My software is not a hack of anyone else's software. It is 100% my code.

Yes, I'm sorry that you Bell users have to suffer. No, I'm not doing this because I am conceited or arrogant. I don't care whether you include my software in your ROM, so long as you abide by any included license agreement. I could just require that you don't include it in your ROM, as some developers have done (A_C), or charge for it, as others have (WMWiFiRouter). I'd rather support the community and freely distribute my software. However, it is not open source, and not open to modification. As I've stated several times I have an obligation to protect my intellectual property. Frankly, some of the posts that suggest my software is "whatever", "just some piece of code", etc anger me, and make me feel like just abandoning this community. If my software was just "whatever", then you go ahead and make it yourself...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

aspalaasn is just getting started

wow, too a long time to get through 16 pages.

Well, first off, I'd like to say I don't agree with what NFSFan has done. As has been said a billion times on this tread already, it's wrong.

Now, I'm with Bell, and I've never tried NFSFan's rom. I'm currently using the ppckitchen and I must say it works for me. I don't really know what makes the Bell users think NFSFan's rom that good but I personally feel that I get what I need with the ppckitchen. I'm probably one of the few Bell users on ppcgeeks that isn't crying over the loss of nfsfan. Not all Bell users support him for his work, so please don't be prejudiced against us Bell users.

I thank ppcgeeks for giving me a place where I can satisfy my need to get info on customizing my touch. I thank all those that made programs, oems, roms and help the kitchen which I use for my cooking needs. My touch is a lot better now because of the work you put in. Many people on here, bell users included, appreciate the time you've put in...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Lurker
Carrier: Bell Mobility

schrumby is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexVision View Post
Wow are all Bell users this dumb?
Seriously, this thread is getting ridiculous... it is violating forum rules left and right, yet it continues (oh, but the rules are applied equally, right?).

Can people please grow up and discuss the main issue (or shut up)?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:37 AM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular

GT! is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
Please cite where this is on XDA so I can have it removed. Thank you. This application is closed source, and after this turn of events I am very happy that I did NOT make my code open source. There is NO CODE released to the developer community and (b) and (c) are supposed to be included in the license agreement

also it is a component of nueROM so it falls under any included license agreement there, the license clearly specifies commercial distribution is illegal, the license includes an attribution requirement.
Google nueusb, the first hit yields a thread with a link to nueusb zip file. I looked in the zip (again) and could find no license agreement or any references to who developed it. BTW, if you Google nueusb license you get nothing useful. Where can I find it, I'd like to take a look?

Maybe we're talking about different things. I didn't say the source code was released, I was referring to the package of executables. Didn't you make them available for inclusion in other people's roms? I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

-GT
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II X (Hercules)
Carrier: Telus

Touch_Pete is keeping up the good workTouch_Pete is keeping up the good workTouch_Pete is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to Touch_Pete Send a message via Skype™ to Touch_Pete

I agree with no2chem's assessment of the situation and just hope that this does not cause him to back off on his efforts to assist those who are learning and to stop contributing his labors to the greater good of the community. I personally think that NFSFAN should be permanently banned unless he can show that he did this innocently and makes a public apology to no2chem.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:46 AM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdv View Post
So he used nochems work, big deal.. at least its being used; isnt that good enough. NFSFAN's roms are used by thousands of people, I would be happy just to know that my work was being used regardless of if I was credited or not. (I realize that nochem's work is used by most of the chefs for a variety of reasons, I think its already generally accepted by everyone that he has done alot for the ppc community (wouldnt be the same without him), regardless if he wasnt officially credited or not on this rom, oh well.

Yes, nfsfan should have gave nochem proper accreditation, but even if not .. so freakin what? really its just some code, in a matter of years it will be long forgotten anyways.

Banning a great chef, that at the moment has many many loyal supporters isnt the answer either. (it was his rom that brought many bell users to the forum, including myself)

I dunno, To be honest I think this whole mess has been blown out of proportion a bit...

ya Nochem, we know you do alot for everyone around here, but let it go, do you really have to be thanked and credited every single time? Seems a little conceited/arrogant to me..

NFSFAN should at least be able to defend himself from all the flaming and accusations ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post
I don't think it is as simple as that. Isn't the code is released to the developer community for them to use and include in their roms? I've looked at the nueUSB package that is distributed on xda and don't see anywhere a) a reference to who wrote it b) a requirement to give credit for using it c) restrictions to modifying the code. Perhaps I didn't come across the right posts to find this, but then perhaps NFSFan didn't either. I think calling it theft is a bit strong.

Please don't make me defend him anymore. I don't agree with what he has done either, I'm just trying to provide some balance to this thread.

-GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by portenio View Post
...REALLY... No one is going to say this... gguruusa stired the s**t and NFSFan is banned.. and more importantly his good work that brought many members day in and day out to this forum...
NFSFan banned but gguruusa still "quoting" around...
One thing I have to point out to you gguruusa, you came into NFSFan thread with one mission in mind, to shut it down.. Congrats, you achieved it... (Your irc buddy must be really happy)...Too bad MODS do not realize this or perhaps they choose not to...(Who knows?) Nevertheless UNFAIR is what you want to take away from this post...
Well done MODS... Kudos... Real nice...

Edit: At least does anybody know where can I find NFSFan..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenny View Post
Alright so here's a question for everyone, why isn't all the threads with Manila 2D removed and the people who posted them banned?

udK the person on XDA who got it working never posted it to the community. Now I realize he didn't make all of it, as HTC did play a part, but he did customize it a lot, and get it working in qvga. Compare that to hergila which runs at 3fps on our vogues. Anyways he posted his rom, and it was disected by everyone there (including me) and now it's all over the place, here included. Yes there is credit given to him, but no one asked him for it, nor did he say we could disect his rom and put it elsewhere.

So are all the Manila 2D threads where people post it, and include it in their roms going to be deleted / banned? Hell some of them don't even include credit to udK, but to XDA-Team which are the ones that hacked it from his rom.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not defending NSFFan, I think he took it over the top with renaming stuff. I am just pointing out it happens a lot it seems in the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by portenio View Post
iF IS FREEWARE IS FAIR TRADE... Want to be credited/remunerated for your work... Put a price tag to it, and problem solved... If you didn't then expect that people will use it and change it any way they see it fits...
As Wolfdv mentioned... We are all greatfull for all you've done no2chem... But the only one who really spent time on bell users was NFSFan.. Hence (Bell mobility members) the only chef with decent roms for bell is kaput...

NOTE: mixxy is all up to you now... so better start cracking... You got big shoes to fill...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus f1 View Post
I don't get it either... all this just so that you are recognized on the net by annonymous people you will never meet. I mean it's one thing if it's pulling money out of your pocket...other then that who really cares? LOL.. Who really cares or loses sleep.

If all this stuff is so vitale to your online persona then protect it appropiately from the get go. Make it a business. If it's just to have people ohhh and ahhh at you well then.. thats just kinda strange to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noogies View Post
I think I have a pretty good grasp of what is happening here.

NFSFAN saw that BELL users needs were not being addressed except as an afterthought by other cooks. So, he decides to build a "Bell Mobility" rom.

Assembling his rom from many sources, he solves some issues with BELL vogue owners ability to get a GPS lock. All hail NFSFAN for taking care of us Bell users. Yay.

Sprint users hearing about all the accolades we Bell users are heaping upon him, pester him to release a Sprint version of his rom.

None of the cooks gave a rats *** about NFSFAN because they had their own groupies. But when their groupies started talking about how good NFSFAN's sprint rom was, the green eyed monster started to take notice.

Other (non Bell) cooks decided to investigate. Some used parts of the NFSFAN rom to better their own roms. Lets face it, he had a knack for picking out the best stuff and incorporating it in his ROM. Others just tried to make trouble in the NFSFAN thread.

One chef, noticing artwork of his, brought it to NFSFAN's attention, stating that he'd like credit for the work that was incorporated into NFSFAN's Rom. NFSFAN basically ignored the request, and shortly thereafter added "Protection" to prevent piracy of his rom. (what was he thinking?)

Most of this is simply part and parcel to hacking roms which nobody has permission to hack anyway. Neither Microsoft nor HTC have given their blessing to any one at PPCGeeks, XDA or any other forum. You are all dealing in Warez no matter how you want to sugar coat it. (original works notwithstanding of course)

However, NFSFAN did the ONE thing that provided the Ammunition to get him shut down here at PPCGeeks.

He blatently Plagerized the work of one of his PEERS. And this is cause for total shunning in almost any circle.

Others have copied the works of peers without permission. It's part of the game. The meticulous ones attempt to give credit for everything, whenever they can. Some only give credit if they have to. Some never give credit, but they leave the work as is. No hex-editor naughtyness.

I for one will continue using NFSFAN's rom because I LIKE IT. I don't mind using pirated software, and I really don't care if he stole no2chems work, because, well, i also don't care that we're all stealing Microsofts work. If PPCGeeks enforced their "Warez" rule, their own kitchen would be banned. (unless of course, Microsoft has given their blessing.)

However, I totally get that among you software developers, his name is mud!
First off before I get banned (because I may after this) let me give you guys some history ....... 1: If you do a search you will see that No2chem has been writing apps for the titan and vogue for at least a year now ... 2: If it was not for no2chem alot of you vogue users and chefs would still be trying be in the dark trying to port wm6.1 to your device ....... 3: the first kitchen for the vogue came from No2chem ... I understand that alot of you are new but this to defend someone stealing is just ****ing stupid ..... why in the hell are you trying to really defend NFSFAN saying that this rom is a godsend and we are all jealous because its better than our's ..... let me say this first YEAH ****ING RIGHT ..... if any of you leechers would just download the kitchen I'm sure you can make the same rom that he did and to you it may even be better ..... oh by the way no2 also helped with that ...so why is it that you defend him in this manner because he made **** for bell ... NEWS FLASH - MOST OF THE ROMS HERE ARE GENERIC AND CAN BE USED ON ANY PROVIDER .... alot of you low post new *** users really need to sit back and get your weight up before you start putting out bull**** like "its just code"and "its freeware its fair" and the argument about manilla 2d the author of manilla is not UDK - UDK is the first person to put it in a rom ..... the original author is Herg .... who released manilla as a beta to everyone awhile back and has since worked on it ....... still all this is dumb if you *******s wanna justify theft hey have at idiots I'm out
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 AM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post
Google nueusb, the first hit yields a thread with a link to nueusb zip file. I looked in the zip (again) and could find no license agreement or any references to who developed it. BTW, if you Google nueusb license you get nothing useful. Where can I find it, I'd like to take a look?

Maybe we're talking about different things. I didn't say the source code was released, I was referring to the package of executables. Didn't you make them available for inclusion in other people's roms? I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

-GT
How about the name of the app itself search here type in No2chem and you will see all of the NUE apps and roms .... and as far as the fact that you keep saying that you are not trying to piss someone off ... He already gave you an answer and you keep going further and further on with your dumb *** babble
Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 AM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular

GT! is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard View Post
How about the name of the app itself search here type in No2chem and you will see all of the NUE apps and roms .... and as far as the fact that you keep saying that you are not trying to piss someone off ... He already gave you an answer and you keep going further and further on with your dumb *** babble
I am no offended by your remarks and request that you be banned for name-calling by the mods.

-GT
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue