PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 12:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Bell

mfpreach is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Looking for a good GPS app...

Where do you guys get all the maps for iGo, Tomtom Etc? Torrents?!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

gammarho55 is keeping up the good workgammarho55 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpreach View Post
well, lets see... hmmm.... you pay for them.

If someone helped you with a problem, hit the thanks button and let them know you appreciate their time.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpreach View Post
Where ever these people get their maps is up to them. Torrenst shouldn't be discussed here at all. Thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

berardi1111 is just getting started

I am going through the same problem. I have tried igo, tom tom, live search, google maps, and I'm about to try Garmin - seems like it may be the closest solution.

It seems like I'm going to end up just using live search. finding a poi should NOT be a two step process, it is really unacceptable. My problem with live search is how much data does it use? I like to stream music while driving so I'm concerned it would cause buffering... and what if you lose service? good way to get lost. That said, it seems to stream music and live search fine, and I have yet to lose service for more than a second unless I'm in the boondocks... but what if I am in the boondocks! Well then you still have the directions in live search, even though you wont get picture maps so I guess you're still ok.

Still I really hope garmin is good, seems such a shame - there is a huge glaring gap when it comes to GPS software. Even dedicated GPS hardware / software seems like it's stuck in the 80s. I say we create a GPS startup company! lol
Old 11-28-2008, 05:26 PM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Sprint Navigation works like that and if you have the talk, message, data plan with sprint it is free.
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali
Old 11-30-2008, 12:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berardi1111 View Post
I am going through the same problem. I have tried igo, tom tom, live search, google maps, and I'm about to try Garmin - seems like it may be the closest solution.

It seems like I'm going to end up just using live search. finding a poi should NOT be a two step process, it is really unacceptable. My problem with live search is how much data does it use? I like to stream music while driving so I'm concerned it would cause buffering... and what if you lose service? good way to get lost. That said, it seems to stream music and live search fine, and I have yet to lose service for more than a second unless I'm in the boondocks... but what if I am in the boondocks! Well then you still have the directions in live search, even though you wont get picture maps so I guess you're still ok.

Still I really hope garmin is good, seems such a shame - there is a huge glaring gap when it comes to GPS software. Even dedicated GPS hardware / software seems like it's stuck in the 80s. I say we create a GPS startup company! lol
I find myself in the boondocks quite a lot, I use Garmin on my touch, I love it, I have never had a problem with it, and it gets me where I am going, pluse it had some nice features like trafic, and gas and hotel prices.
Terry
Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6900
Carrier: SPRING

motorpsycho is just getting started

With the inclusion of Google Local Search in the newest version of Garmin XT, it is now, by far the most powerful GPS intergrated search function available.

Using garmins maping software and your computer, it is possible to remove not commonly used states from your GPS card. My garmin maps take up less the 100mb.

You can also create custom routes, and points of intrest using google maps and a service like www.takitwithme.com

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11413#

In my opinion, the only feature garmin is currently lacking is "text to speech". It says "turn right" but doesn't say "turn right on sycamore street." Hopefully they will update with that functionality soon.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

berardi1111 is just getting started

Damn the only reason I'm dragging my feet is I want to switch to Android once they develop it for the Vogue, or when my contract expires and they offer one for Sprint...
Old 12-06-2008, 01:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
With the inclusion of Google Local Search in the newest version of Garmin XT, it is now, by far the most powerful GPS intergrated search function available.

Using garmins maping software and your computer, it is possible to remove not commonly used states from your GPS card. My garmin maps take up less the 100mb.

You can also create custom routes, and points of intrest using google maps and a service like www.takitwithme.com

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11413#

In my opinion, the only feature garmin is currently lacking is "text to speech". It says "turn right" but doesn't say "turn right on sycamore street." Hopefully they will update with that functionality soon.
I hit the thanks button, but I wanted to explain why, I have Garmin mobile, but I did not know the Google feature was available, I went to Garmin's site and downloaded a free update with these features, thanks!
The only problem with Google is that their maps are not completely accurate, they have me on the next street over, when I do a google search inside of Garmin for my business it has the correct address but routes me to...you guessed it the next street over, so a person needs to watch out for this glitch.
That said I still thing this might be just what berardi1111 is looking for.
Terry
Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch

bob13bob is just getting started

GPS software way behind the curve. Just spent the wasted effort to install tomtom 6 and it frankly sucks compared to the free googlemaps. I was surpised it was that bad. You can't search POI by name. we just need google app to have text-to-speech.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue