PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Xyz
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell
Threadstarter

Xyz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Best GPS Primer options.

thank you for the replies.
astrolauncher is amazing!
a perfect solution.
I created a shortcut with it and my iGo8. iGo picks up sat locks in under 60 seconds. this works after phone has been in standby with zero problems, hell sometimes I have a lock before iGo is done loading!
thanks !!!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

specv is becoming a great contributor

astrolauncher FTW! creating the shortcut can be difficult for some. Just make sure to back it up on your card if you hard reset so you dont have to recreate it
Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Desire (Telstra) / at&t Nexus One
Carrier: at&t

cortez is becoming a great contributor

i'm using Garmin Mobile XT sat nav and it connects to my GPS via the native GPS Intermediate Driver (GPSID), which is MS's native driver that exists on WM 6.0 devices. with this configuration, i'm getting locks on 7+ sattelites in 45 seconds or less. basically, no GPS priming is required.

when i change Garmin Mobile XT to use COM4, it takes a loooooooooong time to find the port and connect, and in most cases, it will automatically revert to the GPSID and connect almost instantly. i've tried MioMap 3.2 and iGO 2006+ with the COM4 configuration and it also takes a loooong time to get sattelite locks and peformance is not as good compared to Garmin. I've found priming is a must when using GPS with COM4. when i am able to connect GPS via COM4 in Garmin, i can launch iGO/MioMap and they connect almost instantly.

Questions: what port the GPSID is using? is it the one assigned from the GPS option in Settings->System Tab? and, how many of the existing sat nav apps can communicate using the GPSID? i'm stumped as to why some of us are having good results and others are not.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:58 PM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular

GT! is becoming a great contributor

I installed AstroGPSLauncher and it works great. Only problem is that the link for TomTom does not show up in my list of programs and I therefore cannot add it to the launcher. There must be a way to make this happen?

-GT
Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO(AT&T Fuze)
Carrier: T-Mobile Pre-Paid

DHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the community

Read the GPS portion of my Rev A tutorial. I do not use any "GPS Primer" and get accurate locks in less than 10 seconds with 7-10 satellites every time.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

plemen is just getting started

dharvey - I've read your REV a tutorial post = you mention that you run googlemaps without priming - of course this is possible as googlemaps does not need the gps primed. Are you able to run IGO8 or TomTom without priming?

Your post also mentions that you don't receive calls when GPS is running - I don't have this problem - I receive calls fine when using my GPS app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharvey4651 View Post
Read the GPS portion of my Rev A tutorial. I do not use any "GPS Primer" and get accurate locks in less than 10 seconds with 7-10 satellites every time.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:19 AM
VIP Member

DHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by plemen View Post
dharvey - I've read your REV a tutorial post = you mention that you run googlemaps without priming - of course this is possible as googlemaps does not need the gps primed. Are you able to run IGO8 or TomTom without priming?

Your post also mentions that you don't receive calls when GPS is running - I don't have this problem - I receive calls fine when using my GPS app.
The problem I had with not receiving calls or texts was a problem I had before I flashed the Sprint leaked ROM and ran PPST. I haven't experienced the same issue lately but I am not sure the issue is gone for sure so I put that little warning there just in case others experience it.

I have not tried IGO or TomTom. Where can I download the software and maps and how large is the file. Once I have it downloaded I will install it to my phone and check for you whether or not it needs priming.

Also, when I first flashed a GPS enabled ROM Google Maps took over 10 minutes to lock so maybe a "Primer" was needed then but not anymore.

Edit - I retract my previous statement. I just bought TomTom and the US+Canada Maps and tried to start it and no matter what I tried nothing works. I am going to try to find the new GPS tool from the Diamond ROM and see if that helps and I will report back here.

Last edited by DHarvey; 06-22-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

Draiko is keeping up the good workDraiko is keeping up the good work

Tomtom and iGo both need priming with the leaked sprint rom (unless you've unlocked and hacked the radio)

Unlocking and hacking the radio may void any kind of warranty though
Old 06-22-2008, 07:10 AM
VIP Member

Well I downloaded HTC GPS Tool from this thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=360477 and it fried my CDMA Radio. I can no longer use my GPS or internet on my phone so I don't really care anymore.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharvey4651 View Post
Well I downloaded HTC GPS Tool from this thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=360477 and it fried my CDMA Radio. I can no longer use my GPS or internet on my phone so I don't really care anymore.
Ouch, that sux. I heard that app uses a lot of your CPU too so its not recommended, although it does work. NFSFAN used it in his custom (maybe he had a version that was customized for the Touch?).

I just do the Google Map -> Tom Tom 6 combo and it works flawlessly.

It does take two steps, but it is reliable.

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue