PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

aspalaasn is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone using iGO 8

So I've tried Tomtom, Garmin and now I'm trying iGO 8.

Tomtom works quite well and I haven't found much problem with it. It's nice and simple and easy to use.

Garmin looks nicer than Tomtom, but I find getting satellite locks take longer than with Tomtom. There are bugs like it changing the time/date when you use it which I don't particularly like. I don't use it much for this reason.

I'm trying iGO 8 pretty nice. It takes a bit longer to load, and connecting the gps takes a funky method to do but works, and when gps is connected, and it's searching for satellites, it seems to get more locks than both Tomtom and Garmin for some strange reason. The maps seems to be off a litter, either that or the accuracy isnt that good but it's probably not that far off from Tomtom and Garmin. Only bug so far I found is that using it changes the timezone but there seems to be a temporary fix by the developers until they get an update out. I havent tried the fix because I've just noticed something else which will lead me to go back to Tomtom.

Seeing if those of you who've tried this program have problems receiving incoming calls as well. I had this problem with ghetto's rom, where I couldnt get incoming calls when I have gps activated using any gps software. I thought it may be the same problem here as well, so I checked tomtom and garmin and both can receive incoming calls while I'm using them and locked to satellites. Igo doesn't seem to allow incoming calls, it doesnt notify you of miss calls or even voicemails. I've tested it out.

I'd like to see if others who've used iGO 8 have also experienced this. I'm trying to rule out the rom like before. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Anyone using iGO 8

I've been playing with iGo8 recently. It's pretty nice, but it sucks up every last bit of RAM on my Mogul It does not interfere with incoming calls for me though. Right now I'm trying out the latest leaked Sprint ROM for the Mogul (3.49/3.39)
Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

vboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvboyz103 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I've been using igo8 since the demo, which crashed all the times. But recently just got a hold of the final version and map file, dem file and building files. Everything seems great so far, loads time is a little slower than TomTom i guess due to all the graphical handling and such. I used GPSViewer to lock GPS first then launch Igo8 and it picked up the sats right away of course.

I actually used it yesterday going into San Francisco, and my brother called me up while I was navigating without any problems at all. I picked up the call, and talked for a little bit and hung up and iGo8 picked it up right away.

The map display is right on the dot, no off set or anything for me, and it runs pretty smooth on my TOUCH too. Note, I cooked my own ROM without the Cube (BioTouch) stuff so it saves me another 4MB worth of RAM. So u might wanna disable biotouch cuz without it my device seems much faster.

Last edited by vboyz103; 05-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

I was using iGo 8 and it worked pretty well. Ultimately I needed a program that announced the street names (I'm really not good at the the "turn left in 3.25 miles. Failed it in school). I switched and started using Mapnopolis. Its announces the street names and quickly relocates the route if you make a wrong turn.
However, I forgot to load the maps for Rhode island when I was up there a couple weeks ago. So I had to use TeleNav, which worked extremely well and kept a really good signal the whole time.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

you guys know there are TTS voices (announcing streets) files for igo8. if its ok to post i can post the US TTS voice. i dont think its warez since someone made it (not available through igo so it wasnt cracked or anything like that from an OEM copy) but ill wait for an answer if its ok to post.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So I reflashed several times and it has now been able to receive incoming calls. I don't know what caused it to not receive calls. I was thinking may be that TMC thing or something.

I found that the us tts voice that I have doesn't announce all street/road names. I heard it working for some streets but others it didnt even say anything other than "turn left/right in xxx meters" etc. The fix for the timezone changing seems to be working so I don't have the problem of it changing my timezones.

I would like to use it to find my contacts like how garmin does, but I don't think there's a function for that.

I don't need gpsviewer or anything to "prime" the gps but just use iGO "as is". But iGO doesn't detect the gps automatically, I have to go to gps and search and then go to TMC and search and then go back to gps and search, then it finds it. I don't know why but it works. After that, iGO connects to the gps and just has to find satellites.

Those of you who also use iGO, do you have to do something similar for iGO to detect your gps? I'm not talking about finding and locking to satellites, just detecting that your device has gps receiver.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, and to me, the maps seemed off a little. It puts me off a few houses down my block. Today I was driving and it said I already reached my destination but I was still in a major intersection. I didnt know where the place was as I was solely relying on gps. Good thing I had the address. I found that i was off by half a block. It didnt even tell me to turn on the street that the building was on...weird. I guess the maps for Canada arent as accurate or updated as the others.

Any one got the 3D buildings and terrain to work? I have the files but I don't see buildings or terrain. I know some people in the US don't see buildings and terrain but there have been some that have. I guess it's not really important but it'd be something different.

BTW, anyone know how to make the voices louder? I already have my phone speaker volume to max and iGO to max as well but since my car is a little loud I want it to say where to go slightly louder.

Also, any of you know if you can use A2DP while using gps programs and I would I go about doing that. Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Garmin 4.20.20 doesn't seem to have the time/date reset issue, I've only noticed it in newer versions.

Can you load custom POI's in iGO 8? I really like that feature in Garmin.

I had iGuidance v4 and I liked the street names being announced, but I think I can live without that. I'm sure Garmin will enable that feature sometime.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
Garmin 4.20.20 doesn't seem to have the time/date reset issue, I've only noticed it in newer versions.

Can you load custom POI's in iGO 8? I really like that feature in Garmin.

I had iGuidance v4 and I liked the street names being announced, but I think I can live without that. I'm sure Garmin will enable that feature sometime.
You can add POI's but not sure about poi's from other programs. I don't have any poi in canada so can't verify that.

I'm using 4.20.20 now but still have that time/date reset issue when it's on gps intermediate driver, but when I put it to com4 com4, it's ok.
If garmin has tts, then that would be sweet. I like how garmin also tells you which side of the street your destination is when you arrive. I didn't expect that.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Yeah, I just set it to the intermediate driver and 4.20.20 reset the date/time. Once it gets a lock though it looks like it updates itself.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

doubleu is a n00b

i take it there are US maps for iGo 8 then?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue