PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Now this, is a mystery.....

For better or worse, that is how this country 'protects' itself from offensive things.

And no, the last two loosing presidents had the most actual votes.

I nearly always view from my titan, so I haven't seen the sigs in this or any other post, but the long and short is - we have a wide variety of people here and I would hope that we as users could keep the profain and offensive off the site by our own choices.

Saying that you don't have to read it is a cop-out. This is a forum - people read in a form - there is really no other way to fully utilize a forum except to read it.

IF I punched you in the face and you said; hey knock it off I don't like that. Would it really work to say; hey if you don't like it you don't have to stand there?

There are unwritten rules called morays - they basicly are the unwritten personal laws of life today - while they are not punishable by law - they are generally shunned by most people.

There is no law against walking down a street in Sturgis, WI with a t-shirt that says "all bikers are big gay fags and should have a brick stuffed where the sun don't shine" yet if you choose to do so the morays dictate that someone would ask you (most likely not very nicely) to take it off (i.e. stop displaying that offensive stuff) and I'm guessing you would remove it. If not and you chose to stand up for freedom of all speech, you might be left a bit... speechless.

The above is an example of a moray in action, and to a much lesser degree so is this thread.

When it comes down to it this is actually a private forum and Mike has the final say. Yet this is also a community and standard morays apply - more people find "gd" offensive than a christian statement, that doesn't make one right and one wrong, however one will draw more fire than the other. If someone chooses to display there freedom of speech that goes against common morays they will atract more attention.

Most of the time those going against morays with there free speech are looking for attention, I.e. the person who dyes there hair pink and shaves it into a mohawk is not necessarily a bad person - however don't get offended when people look at your head like you just got out of a spaceship....

note: I am not threatening to punch anyone, just trying to make a point.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

kayfouroh is keeping up the good workkayfouroh is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy View Post
IF I punched you in the face and you said; hey knock it off I don't like that. Would it really work to say; hey if you don't like it you don't have to stand there?

There are unwritten rules called morays - they basicly are the unwritten personal laws of life today - while they are not punishable by law - they are generally shunned by most people.
Last time I checked, assault is punishable by law and generally shunned by most people.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff

Agreed, that wasn't my best example there was it...

The only point of that snippet was a parallel to "if you don't like it, don't read it".

I certainly see your point though...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

This is way off topic. OP is your SD card corrupt? That's what it sounds like to me. Try formatting and reloading like someone earlier said.

Guys if you want to argue about this will you check the off topic thread. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

freaKs is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to freaKs

the punch in the face comment was really far fetched.

even though i did remove the sig, i still find it pretty pathetic. there are so much more crap out there today its rediculous to get offended over every little damn thing, when we have the freedom of coice.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy View Post
This is a forum - people read in a form - there is really no other way to fully utilize a forum except to read it.

Sure, but you DON'T have to look at all these sigs, you simply block them in your preferences.

I did that at least a year ago & it made the forum FAR more enjoyeable (& a lot faster to load also)

It annoys me a little bit that I had to do this, as some of the sigs contain valuable info/links to ROMS, links to handy programs etc & those I wouldn't mind reading. I just got totally fed up with waiting for these half page flash sigs to load that where nothing but a scene from some idiots favorite movie & had nothing whatever to do with PPC's however........

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro