PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800,XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

1967cat is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon DOES CHARGE WIFI USAGE!

Ok. Just to give everyone a heads up. Verizon has gotten greety. ALL SMART PHONES MUST HAVE A DATA PLAN.
In the past I had a 6700 with no data plan & was just using the WIFI for internet connection. I upgraded my 6700 to the 6800 & everything was fine till I got a $5,000 bill (search the threads for that post for a good laugh). They did credit ALL the data charges. So a couple months go by & everything is fine with my wifi. A week ago my 6800 came off the belt clip going 80mph on the ninja. I sent it (well what was left) in to be replaced and they sent me a HTC Touch Pro. SWEET!
Well I got the bill and guess what? Yep...So I went to the big V and talked to the rep who knows me by name now & why I come in. He tryed to credit the data & they wouldn't. They sayed "Every PDA/Smart Phone must have a data plan now. Your 6800 was grandfatherd in because you didn't have to get a data plan at that time. The insureance company was not subposed to activate your replacement phone (touch pro) without a data plan."
So my only choices is to:
1. Get a data plan (wich I can't afford)
2. Sell this sweet Touch Pro & get a plain jane boring sorry excuse for a cellphone.
3. Find a way to block the V from seeing my wifi usage. Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I have the WIFI's
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint >>>>>

rezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIPrezn is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to rezn
Re: Verizon DOES CHARGE WIFI USAGE!

Join Sprint
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: SPRINT

orionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

yes +1 for Sprint...

HTC Mogul>HTC Touch>HTC TP>HTC Snap>Palm Pre>HTC TP2(PUKE)>HTC Hero>HTC Evo
htc... is it in ur blood?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6875 Touch Pro2
Carrier: VerizonWireless

ca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good work

Abit of old news but yeah. Ever since November 14 of last year any pda released after this date (Touch Pro, Omnia, Saga, Touch Diamond ect.) Is now required to have a data plan on it. Anyone with a pda that launched before this date (even if they bought it after this date) can still have there data PayAsUGo or Blocked all together. No other way around it its embedded in the system by marketing.

Verizon's Reason for doing this? (which I think is BS but meh I have no say)
There were alot of people who were not proficient enough to use the wifi capability and not use the verizon network causing alot of people to get constant overages which would result in alot of returns for pda devices in fear that they would go over again (you have the ability to block data but you cant get pictures since mms goes over data). Since this was causing so many returns VZW is attempting to go with the blackberry route where its known and TOLD upfront you MUST have a data package in order to use the phone.

Remember people its all about marketing. Ironically as I thought the idea would just alienate everyone its actually working. Sales of advance devices are picking up and we have a lot less calls naturally about data overages then ever before. Just goes to show some people dont need pda's in my opinion if they cant understand simple data/wifi usage.

EDIT: Oh and we cant monitor WiFi Usage so you can use it all you want. Its just your still paying to use our networks EVDO meaning WIFI is only useful now for a little bit faster speeds. The use of WIFI does not determine any cost what so ever as its connecting to a network that is NOT ours (like how you pay for a Broadband Card or Cable/DSL connection but you can still connect to wifi for free anywhere you go.)

Last edited by ca2l3vin; 04-26-2009 at 01:00 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Dump VZN. Go to Sprint. Get the 60 dollar sero.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: The everything you own plan by Sprint

vipertk8 is keeping up the good workvipertk8 is keeping up the good workvipertk8 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
Dump VZN. Go to Sprint. Get the 60 dollar sero.

+1 for Sprint

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Verizon is okay if you're on a family plan, I only pay 30$ a month for my data.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800,XV6700
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

1967cat is a n00b

"Oh and we cant monitor WiFi Usage so you can use it all you want. Its just your still paying to use our networks EVDO meaning WIFI is only useful now for a little bit faster speeds. The use of WIFI does not determine any cost what so ever as its connecting to a network that is NOT ours (like how you pay for a Broadband Card or Cable/DSL connection but you can still connect to wifi for free anywhere you go.)"

Thats the thing I don't use the EVDO! I accually deleted the #777 number from my conections. I can't send or recieve pics, but I don't need too. So how am I being charged for WIFI USAGE ONLY! I only use the internet at home, at work, or on other WIFI networks. I don't get it.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:39 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967cat View Post
"Oh and we cant monitor WiFi Usage so you can use it all you want. Its just your still paying to use our networks EVDO meaning WIFI is only useful now for a little bit faster speeds. The use of WIFI does not determine any cost what so ever as its connecting to a network that is NOT ours (like how you pay for a Broadband Card or Cable/DSL connection but you can still connect to wifi for free anywhere you go.)"

Thats the thing I don't use the EVDO! I accually deleted the #777 number from my conections. I can't send or recieve pics, but I don't need too. So how am I being charged for WIFI USAGE ONLY! I only use the internet at home, at work, or on other WIFI networks. I don't get it.
Make sure data connection mode is off in the Comm Manager too.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6875 Touch Pro2
Carrier: VerizonWireless

ca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good workca2l3vin is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967cat View Post

If your using any of the new pda's mentioned above it doesnt matter anyways your paying for the service again like if your paying for cable they dont care if you dont use the service your going to pay to have that type of connection.

If you have pda before then. you must have them BLOCK NATIONAL ACCESS for data on your account to have that block be truely perm (wifi will still work) if not an ota will just replace the data connection settings (also as said before make sure its off in the comm manager aswell.)

If your getting charged and your on PayAsUGo then your a prime example of WHY they did this in the first place. your using the service if they are charging you data SOME how weather on accident or w/e.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro