PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza
Re: Verizon DOES CHARGE WIFI USAGE!

Sprint FTW!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Verizon's long-standing requirement for data plans with Pocket PC phones has nothing to do with WiFi. You're not being charged for using Wifi, you're being charged for having a data-capable phone. I'm sorry that you had to learn this in a bad way. It is possible that had you bought a replacement phone outside the system (Ebay, craigslist, etc.) and activated it online, you might have slipped by without a plan change, but Verizon's system might now be smart enough to see that even an online activation of a PPC phone without a data plan is not allowed.

I'll grant that if they *could*, Verizon would charge customers for using Wifi, but they can't track such usage. I try to maintain the distinction because there have been confused customers on other less-technical sites who have been duped by Verizon reps into thinking that they would pay per-KB charges for Wifi usage, which is simply not true.

Since cost is a major factor for you, Sprint might be a better choice, assuming you can maintain coverage. Another option is to deactivate your TP, carry a cheap flip phone with a voice plan, and just use the TP as an offline device with Wifi. There's no harm in that.

And (seriously) you may find out that Verizon sometimes allows devices to remain on the network and use a data connection. When I turn on my Verizon 6700, it still connects to the data network as if I'm a paid subscriber. I've been with Sprint for over a year now. Not that I would bank on the long-term availability of that; I just think it's kind of funny.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

This is the dumbest thread ever. You are not being charged for WIFI usage. VZW has no WIFI service and has no way of monitoring or 'counting' your WIFI usage against you. If these are in fact data charges, then you are connecting to Data, plain and simple. You say you deleted the connection. I'd sooner believe your phone is connecting anyways without it then you are being charged for WIFI usage.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceXMachine View Post
This is the dumbest thread ever. You are not being charged for WIFI usage. VZW has no WIFI service and has no way of monitoring or 'counting' your WIFI usage against you. If these are in fact data charges, then you are connecting to Data, plain and simple. You say you deleted the connection. I'd sooner believe your phone is connecting anyways without it then you are being charged for WIFI usage.
And yet, you with 23 posts but over two years membership, are proclaiming this to be the dumbest thread ever. Hardly think you're in any position to make such a claim. OP has a concern about data useage vs wi-fi and your response is to proclaim him an idiot....nice

Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
And yet, you with 23 posts but over two years membership, are proclaiming this to be the dumbest thread ever. Hardly think you're in any position to make such a claim. OP has a concern about data useage vs wi-fi and your response is to proclaim him an idiot....nice
What's the number of threads he has contributed in have to do anything with his knowledge? Post counts aren't relevant.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Verizon's long-standing requirement for data plans with Pocket PC phones has nothing to do with WiFi. You're not being charged for using Wifi, you're being charged for having a data-capable phone. I'm sorry that you had to learn this in a bad way. It is possible that had you bought a replacement phone outside the system (Ebay, craigslist, etc.) and activated it online, you might have slipped by without a plan change, but Verizon's system might now be smart enough to see that even an online activation of a PPC phone without a data plan is not allowed.

I'll grant that if they *could*, Verizon would charge customers for using Wifi, but they can't track such usage. I try to maintain the distinction because there have been confused customers on other less-technical sites who have been duped by Verizon reps into thinking that they would pay per-KB charges for Wifi usage, which is simply not true.

Since cost is a major factor for you, Sprint might be a better choice, assuming you can maintain coverage. Another option is to deactivate your TP, carry a cheap flip phone with a voice plan, and just use the TP as an offline device with Wifi. There's no harm in that.

And (seriously) you may find out that Verizon sometimes allows devices to remain on the network and use a data connection. When I turn on my Verizon 6700, it still connects to the data network as if I'm a paid subscriber. I've been with Sprint for over a year now. Not that I would bank on the long-term availability of that; I just think it's kind of funny.
QFT.

I wish people would educate themselves before going off on mindless rants.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

Thats retarted, even a phone that is not on any plan what so ever can use wifi. i did it with my extra diamond before i gave it to my bro. I say jump ship n go with sprint.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

any company that needs to trick their own consumers to boost revenue is not a company worth patronizing in my opinion
Old 04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
any company that needs to trick their own consumers to boost revenue is not a company worth patronizing in my opinion
Quite true, but unfortunately that company is also the only one that provides reliable coverage in a given area
Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i have sprint and i pay 50 a month for 1200 minutes (+ 5 bucks per 100 extra if i go over), nights starting at 7, unlimited text/data/picmail.. i can't imagine getting a plan even close to this on verizon.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro