PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Rhodium/Leo
Carrier: Sprint/TMOUS

sumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon DOES CHARGE WIFI USAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
i have sprint and i pay 50 a month for 1200 minutes (+ 5 bucks per 100 extra if i go over), nights starting at 7, unlimited text/data/picmail.. i can't imagine getting a plan even close to this on verizon.

Which plan is that? Hook me up! lol
Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

its a very old area wide plan. i don't think they still offer it, but you could call cs and ask about it. i got a bunch of bonuses added on over the years to renew my contract.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

slickjestap is just getting started

Verizon's plans are crazy. Sprint is the bomb ,and they are doing better with the commercials. No more of those damn dan hesse commercials. They are playing the game better gotta go smart/fun get the dumb young ones to jump verizon and ATT.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
And yet, you with 23 posts but over two years membership, are proclaiming this to be the dumbest thread ever. Hardly think you're in any position to make such a claim. OP has a concern about data useage vs wi-fi and your response is to proclaim him an idiot....nice
My post count has absolutely **** to do with my knowledge on the subject. The fact that I work for the company in question with intimate knowledge of the network and billing systems for said company do. Also, this thread is not about data "vs" wifi usage, it claims (in error) that VZW charges for wifi usage. In closing, I did not call him an idiot. I called the thread "dumb" because "uninformed conjecture without any evidence or bearing it fact or reality" seemed a bit long winded for my taste. I apologize to the OP or my laziness if I came off as insulting.

Anyways, let me get to raising my post count so I can be taken seriously around here.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i didn't really understand how vzw can charge for wifi usage, i figured he just meant that you can't use *just* wifi any longer. i think most companies are going this route with pdas because they want the money, and they it elliminates the arguments they'll have with people who pay for data by the kb because their phone is set to automatically update random apps and whatnot.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
i didn't really understand how vzw can charge for wifi usage.
They don't, VZ has no "wifi" so they can't charge for it.

My son has an xv6800. He has access to wifi 24/7 so he doesn't want to pay for data obviously. He is on one of the older pay as you go by kb plans & has never been charged a data charge (& he's on the internet constantly), but I set up his phone to NEVER dial #777 (which is a little tricky to do).

~John
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

To add to this, I have one of my old Titan's sitting here as a spare phone.

It is not activated & won't make a cell call. It still connects online just fine using WiFi however, exactly the same as my wireless laptop.

I could take that Titan to the nearest Starbucks, connect to their WiFi & sit there all day & surf & obviously VZ wouldn't be charging me for it.

I agree that Sprint plans are a better deal money wise if you happen to be in an area where it works. Sprint's coverage blows where I am however & VZ works fine, so "switching to Sprint" is simply not a legit option for many people.

~John
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

I know for sure that verizon does charge wifi, not what you think though
they charge for data being dled to the phone. When I got my xv6700 I was on pay per kb plan, but I incurred a large bill; not because of wifi but because of data being downloaded via wifi. The way the CS explained was anything downloaded via the device, even not on their broadband network incurred charges. They are spinning the same story now with touch pros...
shrugs I don't get it either
and just fyi I am so sick and tired of threads like this turning to go to sprint you'll like sprint vzw sucks. that's not the reason why the OP even made the thread so just let it go
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

i concur with what john stated.

switching to sprint has no appeal to me whatsoever. granted they get phones quicker and the plans feature for feature are cheaper than vzw, however sprint coverage is HORRENDOUS in the places i frequent most (home/work) so its not even something i can consider.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I know for sure that verizon does charge wifi, not what you think though
they charge for data being dled to the phone. When I got my xv6700 I was on pay per kb plan, but I incurred a large bill; not because of wifi but because of data being downloaded via wifi. The way the CS explained was anything downloaded via the device, even not on their broadband network incurred charges. They are spinning the same story now with touch pros...
That CSR was lying to you. Verizon cannot track "anything downloaded via the device". They can track anything downloaded via their EVDO/1x network and anything downloaded via another carrier's EVDO/1x network tracked through roaming agreements. I know I won't convince you with a simple post, but it really is a fact - if Verizon charged you for a lot of data, you were using their data network, which is possible even though you may have also been connected to Wifi. PPC phones can maintain (and use) both connections simultaneously.

The confusion stems from two things:

1. It is pretty hard to get a Pocket PC/WM device not to connect to the cellular data network. In many cases it takes more than just deleting the dialup entries (#777, etc.) on the device.

2. Customer service reps do not always tell the whole truth about data, because the company line is "you need a data plan" and they either don't want to get into the minutiae of EVDO/1x vs Wifi (because some customers Just Don't Get It) or they don't understand the difference themselves. It is a lot easier to simply say "get the unlimited plan so you will never incur a charge for using data". If 3 pages of a thread can't convince some of you, can you imagine how loud things would get in a Verizon store where people have been waiting for half an hour with no chairs.

For those people for whom Sprint is not an option, I am sorry; you reap firsthand the benefits of Verizon's real- or perceived monopoly with little recourse. Again, to the OP, I think your best cost-saving option is to carry a cheap flip phone (no data plan) and use the PPC phone as a Wifi-connected PDA. Then someday if your economic conditions change, or maybe you change to a job that will pay for it, you can switch to the TP as your main phone and get a voice/data plan. I have some friends whose companies agreed to pick up their wireless bills if they agreed to use that phone for work (and skip a company-supplied phone).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro