PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon DOES CHARGE WIFI USAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post

1. It is pretty hard to get a Pocket PC/WM device not to connect to the cellular data network. In many cases it takes more than just deleting the dialup entries (#777, etc.) on the device.

Exactly. I stated that also & you can be connected to WiFi & have the phone connect to & use data without notifying you.

If you have 100% stopped the phone from ever connected to cellular data you will never be charged for data DL'ed by WiFi.

Verizon's charge for data DL'ed from WiFi is identical to Sprint's (FREE)

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID
Carrier: VZdub

psooky is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I know for sure that verizon does charge wifi, not what you think though
they charge for data being dled to the phone. When I got my xv6700 I was on pay per kb plan, but I incurred a large bill; not because of wifi but because of data being downloaded via wifi. The way the CS explained was anything downloaded via the device, even not on their broadband network incurred charges. They are spinning the same story now with touch pros...
shrugs I don't get it either
and just fyi I am so sick and tired of threads like this turning to go to sprint you'll like sprint vzw sucks. that's not the reason why the OP even made the thread so just let it go
Funny, because I know for sure they do not charge for wifi. The simple fact that many people have already stated is VZW CANNOT charge for wifi, as it is not on their network.

And this topic is one of the reasons why data plans are required on new PDAs (I think it is mainly because the Apple model showed that people would pay for it anyways if they wanted the phone bad enough).

You try explaining for the 1000th time why someone's phone bill is $5000 dollars and they will still swear they never got on the internet, but these phones are setup to AUTOMATICALLY use the data connection if the application requires one. They are not setup to automatically shut off the data connection, however.

Hello World!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro CDMA

The..Mighty..O is a n00b

dude i am in the exact same situation as you are man, the only reason that i called is because i readd this thread, had 6800... water damaged... replaced with touch pro, then bam i suddenly have a data plan, and now they are being all stubborn. this is bull**** i used to use nothing but my wifi, and now al the sudden i have 34.00 worth of data, which i am positive i used wifi on anything that would involve data usage if not connected to wifi, so now they're trying to convince me to stick with a data plan cause it'd be cheaper but i'm like you dont understandddddddd i cant afford to pay an extra 30 a month im broke and in college. motherf#ckers
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800,XV6700
Threadstarter

1967cat is a n00b

Guys thanks for all the replies! But I think there is some things I need to clear up.
1. I am on the old "pay as u go" data plan.
2. I have deleted the #777 connetion from my phone & delete it every time I have to reset the phone. If there is a better way to do this please let me know.
3. I only connect to WIFI hot spots.(home & work mainly)
4. I can't send or recive pictures, But I don't need to.

If I get the National Access Block will WIFI still work? Again thanks for all the info.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967cat View Post

If I get the National Access Block will WIFI still work? Again thanks for all the info.
Yes, it will. The only thing that won't work is MMS.

~John
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Windsponge is just getting started

Wifi will work with phone shut off. I do it with my omnia when I dont want to pay the package which is about every other month..I just shut phone off and use old cell phone Pda still works.All my people are on Verizon amd I cant switch ....Verizon does suck in a lot of ways Been with them for over 12 years.

Last edited by Windsponge; 04-27-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
Guys thanks for all the replies! But I think there is some things I need to clear up.
1. I am on the old "pay as u go" data plan.
2. I have deleted the #777 connetion from my phone & delete it every time I have to reset the phone. If there is a better way to do this please let me know.
3. I only connect to WIFI hot spots.(home & work mainly)
4. I can't send or recive pictures, But I don't need to.

You likely will not be able to get the nationalaccess block. Touch Pro are loaded in the system as requiring a data plan. The reason you don't have one allready is because the insurance company loaded it for you. CS will not be able to put a block on it as if they try to make any changes it will force a data plan and then you are stuck with it (we can't remove it for a Touch Pro). If you infact deleted your connection from day 1 and still got data charges then something more extreme will need to be done. I've never tried to stop data in this fashion but you can load up the EPST by dialing ##778, enter the code 000000, go to you "Default MIP profile" and just delete a few items in there and it won't be possible to connect to cellular data.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800,XV6700
Threadstarter

1967cat is a n00b

"you can load up the EPST by dialing ##778, enter the code 000000, go to you "Default MIP profile" and just delete a few items in there and it won't be possible to connect to cellular data."

I am having trouble trying to do this. I dialed ##778 & it never ask for a pasword?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
"you can load up the EPST by dialing ##778, enter the code 000000, go to you "Default MIP profile" and just delete a few items in there and it won't be possible to connect to cellular data."

I am having trouble trying to do this. I dialed ##778 & it never ask for a pasword?
On some TPs it is ##778 send, on others it is ##778# send or just ##778# (the Alltel TP doesn't require you to hit send when you dial ##778#)
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

are we serious here? There is no way for VZ to track wifi usage. plain and simple

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro