PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP no longer backordered! In stock now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
try it. Hold the phone up to your ear with the kb out. Not uncomfortable at all actually.
No, I don't need to hold it to my head with the keyboard open to know how stupid i would look. If it works and people feel all comfy doing so then so be it. It's still a rather lame way of solving a problem.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

epsilon is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to epsilon Send a message via MSN to epsilon

Just called telsales, no tp's or any word when they will be getting any more. And dam if they weren't pushing the blackberry hard. I had to hang up on them just to get him to stop talking about the dam thing.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
I know this sounds silly, but have you tried sliding the keyboard out on long phone calls? Part of the problem is batteries drain faster when they are warm, and the radio gets warm and heats the battery up. With the keyboard out, there's more surface area to be cooled. I did this when using my phone as a modem, and it significantly reduced the temperature. I had compared it to the first time I used the phone as a modem.
Yes it sounds silly! Can you imagine walking around like that? That looks embarassing. I agree that can be a temporary solution, but I would like to see HTC fix their CDMA radio issues...

I have to admit I never did the slide-out trick when I owned my Pro, because I didn't feel I should have to--being such an expensive device. I guess that's just my standards. Others don't mind doing that, that's cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
That would be very uncomfortable trying to talk on the phone with the keyboard out. Its fixing a problem by introducing a new one...kinda dumb if you ask me.
I have to agree

Quote:
try it. Hold the phone up to your ear with the kb out. Not uncomfortable at all actually.
While this may work, you have to agree that it is silly to have to do this in the first place
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
No, I don't need to hold it to my head with the keyboard open to know how stupid i would look. If it works and people feel all comfy doing so then so be it. It's still a rather lame way of solving a problem.
whatever dude. I offered my partial solution, just showed what works for me, and you're bashing the idea without adding anything constructive. Your posts are not needed. If you're on your phone for 2 hours in public, don't worry about this making you look stupid, you already do.

This isn't a just a solution for phone calls either. Anytime you need the radio for an extended period of time, having the keyboard out should help dissipate the heat a little.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 PM
i like turtles

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
While this may work, you have to agree that it is silly to have to do this in the first place
What else can we do? HTC is horrible about listening to complaints, and if this helps, why not? I don't see what's so "embarrassing" about talking on the phone with the keyboard is out. Your hand covers most of this phone anyway.

Whatever, I'll do what works for me, sorry if this idea isn't good enough. Besides taking the battery cover off and making a custom cover with fans built in, we're pretty much SOL.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Can't wait to see this... Someone wanna open theirs up and see if there's a heatshield?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
whatever dude. I offered my partial solution, just showed what works for me, and you're bashing the idea without adding anything constructive. Your posts are not needed. If you're on your phone for 2 hours in public, don't worry about this making you look stupid, you already do.

This isn't a just a solution for phone calls either. Anytime you need the radio for an extended period of time, having the keyboard out should help dissipate the heat a little.
Careful, you'll be labeled an HTC Fanboy or an HTC apologist...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
What else can we do? HTC is horrible about listening to complaints, and if this helps, why not? I don't see what's so "embarrassing" about talking on the phone with the keyboard is out. Your hand covers most of this phone anyway.

Whatever, I'll do what works for me, sorry if this idea isn't good enough. Besides taking the battery cover off and making a custom cover with fans built in, we're pretty much SOL.
No one is attacking you here man. You did offer a solution, and we appreciate it, but you have to realize that it should not be necessary to talk with the phone open.

Yes, it's the radio, heating up the batteries, which then drain quicker, because they are hot. Then they cannot charge, because the overheat-detecting circuitry kicks in.

Thank you for your advice, and I am sure a few people will do as you say... I think the thing we are trying to point out that "most people," would find talking on it with the keyboard unacceptable and embarassing. Many of us are on long phone calls on a regular basis, and I don't think that it's all that embarassing to just be on a phone. It's fairly commonplace these days.

Once again, thanks, but we are trying to find out if the problem might get taken care of by the latest revision that this gentleman might in fact recieve from his order--now that they aren't "out of stock."

I wonder why HTC is so unresponsive to complaints and issues? When I called, they basically told me to screw off, and talk to Sprint. Huh? If I bought a Panasonic plasma from Best Buy, I should still be able to call Panasonic if I have an issue.. I don't get that thought-process...

Oh well! Live and be happy Since HTC wouldn't resolve the issue, I just moved on and I will find a phone that doesn't overheat.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:15 PM
i like turtles

Yeah if someone comes back and says the new phones don't get warm during long calls, I'll be one of the first ones to get a replacement. I hate the fact that there has to be a "workaround" for ANYTHING with our phones, but lately I've come to realize that's the direction these companies are headed; Release something that's not up to par, but fix it later.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
Careful, you'll be labeled an HTC Fanboy or an HTC apologist...
Nope, he's just a guy willing to force his phone to work properly. Kudos to him, and he has some good advice. A "few" of us would not go to such extremes.

I would, if I was stuck with the phone.

Again, seriously, it is good advice to prevent the phone from overheating. I also wonder if there is something that could be done to "wick" away the heat from that radio portion? Perhaps an aluminum back cover, with fins? Like a giant heat-sink? That might look pretty cool as well...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro