PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

denap is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 12/25/08 Verizon GPS Fix v2.0

ok... total newbie. New VZW TP running 6.1. I'm trying to follow all of the instructions acronyms etc. All I want to do (for now) is get GPS and google maps to run. I've tried the valhalla server and GM hangs.

Assuming I am content with the VZW ROM, what do I need to do to get GPS running on 6.1?

thanks,
-Tom
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

YL Groper is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by denap View Post
ok... total newbie. New VZW TP running 6.1. I'm trying to follow all of the instructions acronyms etc. All I want to do (for now) is get GPS and google maps to run. I've tried the valhalla server and GM hangs.

Assuming I am content with the VZW ROM, what do I need to do to get GPS running on 6.1?

thanks,
-Tom
Im a bit new to this also, but i just wanted to add that vzw rom sucks....you will see. Ive flashed alot of devices before but never a phone until the TP. I tried mighty rom (had memory running at 90% on startup and no nav), JD's (same thing), then I tried scroslers 20764 R4R ROM....you have to try it. Everything is faster, better battery life, great apps, no garbage, its made for a VZW TP. I ran the gps fix cabs and the driver for vz Nav and everything worked right away. Try the ROM, you will love it (and thats what i was looking for someone to tell me when i was looking for ROMS)
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Lurker

denap is a n00b

well, I've got ~20yrs of sw engineering experience and not too shy about playing with stuff. I'm not in to bleeding edge for the sake of it, I just want an operable GPS and decent response time. If I really have to, I'll flash a new ROM. But, I was hoping to just get the GPS going on VZW and 6.1.

I've been through the steps in the first page a couple of times and I can't get GPS tool to make a connection.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/ Driod Incredible
Carrier: The red headed stepchild
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

Google maps sometimes has issues connecting. I really cant support that app alot because I dont run it at all. Isn't even installed to my device.

Do this... download and install PPST1.46.cab from post 1.... then run PPST.exe from your windows folder.....then download and install my gps fix cab and once again run PPST.exe from your windows folder..

then take a walk outside set up the gps tool for Q7500 chip... cold start... 4800 buad rate... comm 4 and then open the port...... watch the screen on how many sats it see's and how many are connected.....

let me know how that goes for ya

Accepted NOT Expected
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

LunaticSerenade is keeping up the good workLunaticSerenade is keeping up the good work

What I do is run HTC GPS Tool outside. In about 9 seconds it will fix as many, if not more, satellites.

Then, close out of it, run Google Maps. Give it about 10 seconds, and it will know where you are.

And be watching your every move.

...always watching....

[edit]
I guess I should add that all of that is post Gps Fix install, running PPST, and dialing *228 opt 1....although I'm sure that was self-evident...
[/edit]
Search is your best friend.

Last edited by LunaticSerenade; 03-18-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Lurker

denap is a n00b

ok, bored... did it again and let it run longer this time... I'm finding ~5-7 satellites and getting no fixes.

Lunatic, I have NOT ##228 again (since the first few times I tried this). I just did exactly what bored said above.

Question:

When this eventually does work, I simply close the port and go on to GM?
What I notice is that GPS tool doesn;t retain the chip or baud settings between executions. Is this normal?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

OK the fix is working but your arent getting a strong enough signal to lock. Have you installed QuickGPS? If so has the update expired? This app help tremendously on shorting lock times.

As far as GM. Once you get the lock for the first time. You should not need to run the GPS Tool again. I havent run my tool in months. I just fire up OnCouse2008 and by the time the program loads fully I am locked. One thing that I do is soft reset after using the GPS to make sure the port is closed.

Go ahead and *22899 to get your device programmed again.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Lurker

denap is a n00b

ok thanks. I haven't installed Quick. I will.

Do you mean #228 1? What's 99? sorry...
Old 03-18-2009, 09:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

jimnutt is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to jimnutt Send a message via MSN to jimnutt Send a message via Yahoo to jimnutt Send a message via Skype™ to jimnutt

Ok, I guess I'm going blind. I thought I saw a message saying that there was a link to the 301 build of qpst on the first post, but I'm not seeing it. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

that particular post where is says qpst is in post 1 is outdated... that was from the v1 build where people had to change their banner text because everyones said sprint

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro