PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ppc6700
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

hoddy4 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Video Cable on Ebay

What is a fair price for a well made video cable with usb (headphones), 2.5mm, and 3.5mm output, usb power input, and a switch to change between video and phone outputs that also includes a 6ft. 3.5mm to composite cable?

Last edited by hoddy4; 01-02-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddy4 View Post
What is a fair price for a well made video cable with usb (headphones), 2.5mm, and 3.5mm output, usb power input, and a switch to change between video and phone outputs that also includes a 6ft. 3.5mm to composite cable?
The commercial cables are going for 16-25 bucks, so there's no reason to accept a DIY'd model for 30 bucks.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Who is paying $30? Mine was available for $22 and has more functionality than the so-called commercial ones. I've done the DIY before and if I spend more than 1/2hr. of my time it's not worth it.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work

I paid a premium for the same thing at around $40 something... I had even tried some of the things that were recommended here first, from people claiming to have some sort of superpower of getting super special deals. lol
It took weeks for items to come in from ebay to test out the special deals I was led to believe would work with modification...only to be let down when it didn't.
I guess it's the internet and people can say whatever they think makes them look smart.

I guess not many will come on here talking about how they botched their attempt to mod things, or how they were duped into buying something cheap that doesn't actually work. Even the cheap rca cables most people are buying aren't exactly perfect. If it's not the right type you have to swap the red and yellow for it to work...and hard to determine quality without a real comparison. I botched up my first OEM multi-adapter when trying to open it and then had superglue running down the sides when trying to get it back together. Superglue and this plastic has an immediate and permanent reaction btw.

I suppose I paid a premium because it was an auction and the market was declaring how much we were going to pay. All in all, I'm still satisfied with the product... it does appear to have slightly better quality than the one my friend purchased from Hong Kong. Also, Hong Kong put my family out of business with HongKongs cheaper and inferior lead poisoned products, so I'm kinda sensitive to this.

Hopefully the price will come down a bit from what I last seen it in the $40 range, but this one is at least better than any of the pricier alternatives... also, I like having the ability to hook it up to 2 tv's at the same time to display Excel status sheets on the big screens at work..and then using the switch to use it immediately for taking any incoming calls. I agree it was pricey, and sure I'd be happier if the phone just shipped with it or something like it in the first place! But yeah, I'd still recommend it for what it's worth.
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets I was out hacking with the ppcgeeks.

Last edited by Raging Idiot; 01-02-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: raging idiot mistakes
Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I'd recommend this one also. The guy seems to be from Atlanta. He is very helpful and I'm sure he is not making big bucks on each one. The build quality is good and it has 3 outputs, usb headphones, 2.5mm, and 3.5mm. It also has usb power in and a switch for video and talking and a 6' rca cable. The video output quality is good but as the above poster states there is no objective standard. In my opinion, the output is composite so the quality will never really wow you. Youtube on a 30" Dell TV is quite good. The only negative that I have seen so far is a little bit of humming/buzzing from the speakers when the video is engaged. The fact I was able to get it for $22 is strictly a function of the auction style.

Last edited by hoddy4; 01-02-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

who really needs multiple outputs from the adapter, when you can just split the outputs properly, with a powered splitter. if you were at all worried about quality, you would want the least amount of outputs coming from the dongle itself, obviously. the buzzing you're hearing with video enabled is bad wiring, bad grounding, or cheap cables. snip the blue wire, connect a decent set of ipod video cables, and call it a day. that's as good as its going to get most likely. 30+ bucks for something you could make with a 75 point iq and a soldering gun seems rather pointless in my eyes.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I must confess that my IQ must be below 75 since I tried and failed to make a satisfactory cable.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

maybe you just don't follow directions well

all you do is open the box, snip the blue wire, tape (glue, or whatever) it shut, and plug a cord into a hole... are you new? if you can't do that, then there probably isn't much hope for you in life lol
Old 01-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I'm not really sure what your problem is, but there are probably lots of people whose time is more important than the $22 spent for a cable. Maybe you' re not one of them.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4g
Carrier: Sprint

jrob is becoming a great contributor
Smile Re: Video Cable on Ebay

i agree!!! time is money!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro