PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46487)

IMTHATGUY704 12-19-2008 12:44 PM

Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 588050)
WHOAAA!!! Aweomse! How did you do that?! Tape?

I used electrical tape. For the most part it stayed on cover while in the water.

MrHawaii 12-19-2008 06:22 PM

FYI

Tried dyeing the red silicone case for the diamond that they sell in the Sprint Stores. Didn't work, it turned a darker maroon but not black. Will try leather and vinyl dyes next.

B18DelSolT 12-19-2008 06:44 PM

WOW looks very clean, thats my fav color man, thats the color i wanted to do my delsol. Nice work, i think i might do that now, just need a second batt cover

InvincibleLiving 12-21-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHawaii (Post 588844)
FYI

Tried dyeing the red silicone case for the diamond that they sell in the Sprint Stores. Didn't work, it turned a darker maroon but not black. Will try leather and vinyl dyes next.

what type of dye did you use? and did you follow the instructions on the first page of the thread? you shouldnt need to do anything beyond those steps.

anilliance 12-22-2008 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
that is a great idea. what i did was take it a step further. i uploaded a pic for you to see. im sure im able to cover it with any fabric or leather but i chose GUESS because much like my clothes "when i dress its never nothing less then guess -NAS"

blue4shizzle 12-22-2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmode (Post 543109)

this did it for me, im going to go dye mine tomorrow.. so sexy...

InvincibleLiving 12-22-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilliance (Post 592705)
that is a great idea. what i did was take it a step further. i uploaded a pic for you to see. im sure im able to cover it with any fabric or leather but i chose GUESS because much like my clothes "when i dress its never nothing less then guess -NAS"

wow i love the ingenuity lol.... i might do a limited edition NAUTICA cover in the stock maroon and navy blue... hmmm i got some ideas!

MrHawaii 12-22-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 591359)
what type of dye did you use? and did you follow the instructions on the first page of the thread? you shouldnt need to do anything beyond those steps.

Thanks Nautica.

I used the Black RIT dye, I actually dyed a bunch of Diamond Batt covers fine with no problem.

What I was trying to dye after that was the red silicone case/skin that Sprint sells, that I could not get to change to black. Just experimenting. I was reading somewhere that silicone is very close to Teflon in that nothing really sticks to it. I tried the RIT dye and it just turned it a darker maroon. I also tried a special type of spray paint for plastic that is supposed to seep into plastic instead of making an actual coat. No avail, did not bond with the silicone case. Then I tried a paint that said it would bond to rubber, also no dice. I was reading that there is vinyl dye that people have use for things like whit ipod cables and it seeps in and does not chip or crack when moving. I can't find that anywhere locally so I was just going to try leather dye. Unless someone has a better way to color a red Silicone skin/case to black. Thanks.

InvincibleLiving 12-22-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHawaii (Post 593486)
Thanks Nautica.

I used the Black RIT dye, I actually dyed a bunch of Diamond Batt covers fine with no problem.

What I was trying to dye after that was the red silicone case/skin that Sprint sells, that I could not get to change to black. Just experimenting. I was reading somewhere that silicone is very close to Teflon in that nothing really sticks to it. I tried the RIT dye and it just turned it a darker maroon. I also tried a special type of spray paint for plastic that is supposed to seep into plastic instead of making an actual coat. No avail, did not bond with the silicone case. Then I tried a paint that said it would bond to rubber, also no dice. I was reading that there is vinyl dye that people have use for things like whit ipod cables and it seeps in and does not chip or crack when moving. I can't find that anywhere locally so I was just going to try leather dye. Unless someone has a better way to color a red Silicone skin/case to black. Thanks.

OOOH the case that comes bundled with the clear hard plastic case... my bad i misunderstood, thought you were referring to the batter case of the device... :silent:

MrHawaii 12-22-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 593580)
OOOH the case that comes bundled with the clear hard plastic case... my bad i misunderstood, thought you were referring to the batter case of the device... :silent:

Yup that is the one. I dyed the red silicone case and it turned a dark maroon/brown color. If anyone remembers it looks like the original color for the Nextel Moto i880. I will post pics when I get to my other pc. I also modded the clear plastic case. I noticed that sometimes it would be too tight and not press the hardware buttons. So I cut out the plastic bar going across the middle and filed it down. I will post a pic of that also. Thanks.