PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46487)

InvincibleLiving 12-22-2008 04:41 PM

Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHawaii (Post 593617)
Yup that is the one. I dyed the red silicone case and it turned a dark maroon/brown color. If anyone remembers it looks like the original color for the Nextel Moto i880. I will post pics when I get to my other pc. I also modded the clear plastic case. I noticed that sometimes it would be too tight and not press the hardware buttons. So I cut out the plastic bar going across the middle and filed it down. I will post a pic of that also. Thanks.

yeah i had major issues with the fit of that clear case... that bottom right side of the case was hugely problematic!

david3800 12-22-2008 04:48 PM

I can't get a picture of it, but the Ghost Armor covering the chrome on the sides of my phone have been effected by the dye. It's discolored the closer you get to the dyed black back. I checked my pockets, but they haven't changed colors. It doesn't bother me, but I thought I would just post an update about that.

MrHawaii 12-22-2008 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the cases I tried modding. The silicone case on the left is the one I tried dyeing. As you can see it is a little darker, but not quite black. The case on the right is in its original color. The other picture is of the clear plastic case that comes with the silicone case. As stated it is too tight and sometimes you can't press the hard keys Home, Back, Send, End. So I cut out the middle bar that goes across the screen and filed it down for a smoother finish.

I like the silicone case though for two reasons, it is easier to take off in the case that I have to remove the batt cover and the volume buttons and power button is easier to press because it sticks out rather than flushed stock or with the plastic case it is under.

I know there are other black silicone skins you can buy but I like this one, the ridges on the side make it easier to grip and aesthetically pleasing to me. Thanks for any ideas.

Merdinh 12-22-2008 05:37 PM

Almost a month since i died my cover black, and its still looking beautiful like it came with the phone, and is still new.

InvincibleLiving 12-22-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHawaii (Post 593659)
Here are some pics of the cases I tried modding. The silicone case on the left is the one I tried dyeing. As you can see it is a little darker, but not quite black. The case on the right is in its original color. The other picture is of the clear plastic case that comes with the silicone case. As stated it is too tight and sometimes you can't press the hard keys Home, Back, Send, End. So I cut out the middle bar that goes across the screen and filed it down for a smoother finish.

I like the silicone case though for two reasons, it is easier to take off in the case that I have to remove the batt cover and the volume buttons and power button is easier to press because it sticks out rather than flushed stock or with the plastic case it is under.

I know there are other black silicone skins you can buy but I like this one, the ridges on the side make it easier to grip and aesthetically pleasing to me. Thanks for any ideas.

so the clear case works fine for you now that you've filed it down? i may just give this one more shot...

InvincibleLiving 12-22-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merdinh (Post 593716)
Almost a month since i died my cover black, and its still looking beautiful like it came with the phone, and is still new.

yup it'll be a month this week and it's been perfectly fine except for the bleeding episode i had for like 3 days... since then it's been flawless, no bleed, no fade, no dye smell... just lovely black.

still kicking myself for not dyeing my stylus when i had the chance... i'm just to cheap to buy another pack of dye for 4 stylus' lolz :twisted:

D/\SH 12-22-2008 11:49 PM

this is a cover i made for my buddy probex........ didnt turn out too bad for all the striping i had to lay out and all. tell me what ya all think guys :>

(that was done using one packet of black.)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...sht19/1-55.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...sht19/2-43.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...sht19/3-28.jpg

yearn 12-23-2008 12:42 AM

Looks good Dash, was it pretty time consuming?

By the way it looks like your couch may have fallen and crushed someone! All I can see is their feet sticking out!!

[sammich] 12-23-2008 12:55 AM

How did you not dye the areas for the name? Looks a bit more advanced than electrical tape :wink:

D/\SH 12-23-2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yearn (Post 594821)
Looks good Dash, was it pretty time consuming?

By the way it looks like your couch may have fallen and crushed someone! All I can see is their feet sticking out!!

hahahaaha thanks, and naw thats the extender ma bob foot thingy on the lazy boy in my room..... but you are right it does look like that :>

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 594853)
How did you not dye the areas for the name? Looks a bit more advanced than electrical tape :wink:

i use this waterproof and flexible as hell pinstripe thats used on firetrucks. i draw my design on that and than get it cut out the way i want and stick her on. . (i used to work at HME painting fire trucks) since it is waterproof and meant for a firetruck it can take alot of water lmao. than when im done i peel it off and run cold water over the cover. than i use the same color die ( you can use a different color if wanted) and just dip the battery cover in and out of the cup in 10 second increments until i get the fade that i wanted to ghost it off.