PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46487)

xweaponx 11-25-2008 01:31 PM

A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

So I had an idea. If its been discussed already, mods please feel free to delete...

Wal-mart has boxes of RIT dye for $1.48 in housewares. I bought a box of black and decided to experiment. Heating a pot of water on medium, I dumped the dye contents and placed the battery cover of my Touch Pro in the pot. I did not remove the camera lense cover; simply placed the entire cover in the pot. I stirred occasionally for 15 minutes, removed and viola... a fabulously looking black cover. The rubberized coating is still there and looks as if it came like that.

Chances are you could dye the cover purple, red, black and blue depending on dye availability.

Just thought I would share...
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture001.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture002.jpg

Here is what the inside looks. The dye didnt adhere well here but its ok cause you will never see it...
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture004.jpg

My cover on my computer in front of my favorite website. As you can see, the camera & flash lense are crystal clear...
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture005.jpg

As close as I could get while still maintaining focus...
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture006.jpg

themuffinman 11-25-2008 01:34 PM

Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

Dude, that actually looks pretty damn good. I may actually have to give this a shot since my battery cover is all faded anyway.

freeza 11-25-2008 01:34 PM

Wow that's very nice!

gostars9 11-25-2008 01:35 PM

Holy crap.. looks great. It didn't dye or tint the camera lens cover in any way? Does any of the color rub off on your hands or anything?

furiousgtz 11-25-2008 01:46 PM

any more close up pics?

superevilllama 11-25-2008 01:52 PM

alright.. you might as well start a service for those who don't want to F up their own covers hehe you should start chargin 10 bucks plus postage ;)

It really does look great. Let us know how the dye stays on the cover or if anything rubs off or becomes discolored.

TheDude1120 11-25-2008 01:58 PM

u did at least put some tape over the lens right? def dont want to get an all black lens cover and cake take pics, but that looks hella slick

aznmode 11-25-2008 01:59 PM

Wow...that looks awesome! I may have to try that. Do you know if it could get any darker than that?

HTC_TP 11-25-2008 02:01 PM

Thanks for sharing, great idea!

TreyBeno 11-25-2008 02:05 PM

This might be worthy of the essentials thread. Does anybody have the guts to try this out and confirm if this works? If so we may be in business. It would be cool if all of us from this site did this to our Pros if its repeatable. it would be our secret sign to each other out in public when we cross paths.

xweaponx 11-25-2008 02:07 PM

Nope.
I didnt mask or peel off the camera lense. Its held in places securely so I didnt want to compromise the adhesive. The pics dont do it true justice. The dyeing is consistent all over and turned out exceptional. I simply heated a pot of water & dye and stirred the cover completely submerged for 15 mins on medium; hot enough to almost burn your finger. I couldnt believe it was that simple. Just rinse with cold water until all dye is gone afterwars. Your new colored battery back will smell for a few days from the dye but smelly-nice stuff will fix that. Mine hasnt faded or blemished and I am completely happy with the results.

Also, the inside of the cover doesnt dye all that well but you will never see it anyways...

The dye didnt faze the camera lense at all! And although the pictures may resemble a charcoal color, it is black. The flash on my camera lightened it up in the photo.

IFMISM 11-25-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 541876)
This might be worthy of the essentials thread. Does anybody have the guts to try this out and confirm if this works? If so we may be in business. It would be cool if all of us from this site did this to our Pros if its repeatable. it would be our secret sign to each other out in public when we cross paths.

i have a spare battery cover so i will try it out either tonite or tomorrow and post pics if it comes out good.

No1ustad 11-25-2008 02:14 PM

hmm. i wonder if insurance will toss me a new on if mine doesnt turn out...:-s

think i wonna go with a deep red...

thacounty 11-25-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No1ustad (Post 541902)
hmm. i wonder if insurance will toss me a new on if mine doesnt turn out...:-s

think i wonna go with a deep red...

Get a diamond ;) jk...

Success100 11-25-2008 02:20 PM

im trying this on my diamond.....tonight! i have 3 spare battery covers

xweaponx 11-25-2008 02:24 PM

I think I am going to get the red dye. I have a killer red theme that would really set off with a matching battery cover...

You could also mix dyes to create other colors. I think Wal-mart has:
Black
Blue
Navy Blue
Red

Michaels, Hobby Lobby or other craft stores might have a larger variety such as orange, brown, etc. The dye I used and works well is basic fabric dye...

cordevil95 11-25-2008 02:25 PM

Wow, that looks great!! Pending more success stories I'll be giving this a try!

stevedusa 11-25-2008 02:27 PM

Holy crap that's AWESOME!

Do you happen to have the item number, or the SKU of the dye you bought at WalMart? I don't want to buy the wrong item and ruin my cover.

And I just want to confirm again, all you did is just throw the cover into the pot you mentioned earlier, without covering the camera lens part right? Man that does sound easy.

eptd 11-25-2008 02:30 PM

Looks awesome! Have you tried taking pictures yet? I will do this as soon as someone confirms that it doesn't effect pictures.

cornelious2 11-25-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eptd (Post 541945)
Looks awesome! Have you tried taking pictures yet? I will do this as soon as someone confirms that it doesn't effect pictures.

even without mucking with my back cover, I always take the back off to take a picture it guarentees no last second smudge ruins the photo.

aznmode 11-25-2008 02:36 PM

I'd like to know the SKU or item # as well. There's a Walmart next to my work that I'll be going to for lunch.

I'm also concerned about the camera lens. It maybe of different plastic which may be the reason the dye didn't affect it.

jason25 11-25-2008 02:40 PM

Let's here some more success stories, I want to do this...maybe...yeah I do...I think.

Success100 11-25-2008 02:45 PM

the sku off of the dye would be golden

xweaponx 11-25-2008 02:50 PM

Here is the link to the exact dye I used:

http://www.ritdye.com/Powders.28.51.6.lasso

My Wal-mart only had a set of boxed and bottled dye. Any of the boxed dye for fabrics will work as RIt is likely the only brand Wal-mart carries. (Bottled too except its already in a liquid formula)

This is exactly what I did:
1. Remove cover from phone. Wash to remove any finger prints, oil, etc.
2. Heat small pot of water. Must be hot enough just enough to scald you.
3. Dump dye contents into pot and stir.
4. Submerge battery cover completely and still gently for 15 minutes. Use a soft utensil as to not scrap or scratch your cover.
5. After desired dying is achieved, remove and place under sink spicket and rinse until no more dye is seen. Dry and its ready to use!

It really is that easy.

(Of course I dont take any responsibility. I only offer the experience and results shown thereafter in the pics. Please repeat at your own risk)

orlandojumpoff 11-25-2008 02:56 PM

Thanks!
Please let us know if you start noticing any uneven discoloration or blemishes within the upcoming days/weeks though

eptd 11-25-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 541997)
Here is the link to the exact dye I used:

http://www.ritdye.com/Powders.28.51.6.lasso

So is it $1.48 at Walmart? Link shows $2.49. Don't know if I can do $2.49. lol

Compusmurf 11-25-2008 03:10 PM

The dye shouldn't stick to any "non porous" type plastic. Inside, camera lens area. You should be "golden" there.

I've done this "dye" trick on plastic gun stocks, etc. Works very well.

I don't mind the silver and I have the invisibleshield on there and don't want to mess it up by taking it off now.

The only catch here, is occasionally the salt in the sweat from your hand will cause a bit of slight bleed over onto your skin. Also, eventually it will fade from UV, etc as it's dye and not actual pigment embedded in the plastic. Once every 6 months you might have to re-dye it for the deepest coloring. Maybe longer. Just a guess on the timing based on other porous plastic I've dyed in the past.

wooptiewoous 11-25-2008 03:18 PM

Ok So It Looks Good , Now Even Thou U Washed It Off With Cold Water , Just So Ppl Know My Experance With That Die Has Been Staining Aftermath, Question Is To You How Long Have You Held It At One Time And Did The Die Stain Your Hands ??
Im Sure It Did Till Theres Enuff Wear And Tear..

Cause That Be Some Funny Shiznit To Have A Hundred Ppl Running Around With A Stain Here And There , As Cold It Wont Stain As Bad As It Will Warm. (sweaty Palms)(heated Form Long Call)

But At A Sellers Point To Clean It Up Easy Enuff To Pass It Off To An Unsespecting Buyer ....lol

Surly After You Do It Theres No Return , Again I Have Used Those Dies, As Well As Shoe Polishes To Make Things Look Better For Temp Reasons.

But If You Seal It With Some Type Of Waterprofing Solution That Will Stop The Staining

TheDude1120 11-25-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 541997)

(Of course I dont take any responsibility. I only offer the experience and results shown thereafter in the pics. Please repeat at your own risk)

if it messes up u owe me another cover for puttin this idea into my head lololol

xweaponx 11-25-2008 03:35 PM

So far I have taken the first step. Those willing to venture the waters please report your own personal findings. I will report myself any issues with the dying process and longevity thereafter.

This has compelled me to purchase more covers and dye them different colors so that I can mix & match with changing themes. Seems foolish but then when you pay this much for a toy/business powerhouse, why not spend a little here and there to continue its luster...

Hmmm. Maybe I should start a sweat shop, dip & dye covers, and sell them on Ebay for $19.95... plus shipping $6.96. ;-)

gostars9 11-25-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 542106)
So far I have taken the first step. Those willing to venture the waters please report your own personal findings. I will report myself any issues with the dying process and longevity thereafter.

This has compelled me to purchase more covers and dye them different colors so that I can mix & match with changing themes. Seems foolish but then when you pay this much for a toy/business powerhouse, why not spend a little here and there to continue its luster...

Where/how do you purchase more covers?

jason25 11-25-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 542106)

let's try bedazzling it next

hooover 11-25-2008 04:00 PM

does the dye wear off ?

acme64 11-25-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eptd (Post 542031)

ROFL

It does indeed look good, but I still want the original diamond cover :(

aznmode 11-25-2008 04:24 PM

I think if anyone wants to buy more covers to dye, you might as well wait and get the back cover for the Telus which is already black. I couldn't find them online at the moment but eventually I'm sure they will pop up. This DIY is a temp for me until those become available.

InvincibleLiving 11-25-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eptd (Post 542031)

funniest thing i've seen all day!! ROFL

dsibarra72 11-25-2008 04:27 PM

what about dying the cover and putting a skin on, would the skin hold? if it does it might just make the dye last longer?

TurboFool 11-25-2008 04:36 PM

This is pretty sweet. But yeah, where can we buy extra covers?

shaggylive 11-25-2008 04:46 PM

too bad the covers aren't flexible, I could really dig a tye-dye phone.

ScrapMaker 11-25-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornelious2 (Post 541956)
even without mucking with my back cover, I always take the back off to take a picture it guarentees no last second smudge ruins the photo.

You must not take many pictures, because man, you are going to wear out your phone in no time... the battery cover is not intended to be removed that often. That's why there is a clear opening for the lens! ;)