PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46487)

[sammich] 12-05-2008 11:26 PM

Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtkxhom3r (Post 562705)
i did both of my covers and i wasnt able to get a dark read (little darker than the diamonds cover) so i ended up with 2 blacks lol anyone want to trade a stock cover for a black one?

I will!

sirdevinster 12-05-2008 11:34 PM

I did everything and I screwed mine up. It warped like crazy and there are little bubbles on the top right and bottom corners.

Sucks! I'm looking for a new one now and it's hard!

TreyBeno 12-06-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdevinster (Post 562731)
I did everything and I screwed mine up. It warped like crazy and there are little bubbles on the top right and bottom corners.

Sucks! I'm looking for a new one now and it's hard!

Evidently people dont read and cant follow instructions very well. We have another victim of high heat warping their covers. And this time somebody actually made the back start to bubble :disgust: lol. Oh well. If u cant follow simple instructions then thats what u get. A f'd up cover and time wasted. And to the guy who wanted red but got black its obvious that u used too much dye and cooked for too long. Its crazy and sad at the same time since myself, nautica, xweaponx,and others just said to not use high heat or too much dye just recently. Im sick of hearing people mess up such a simple task :protest:.

xtkxhom3r 12-06-2008 07:58 AM

lol how am i supposed to know exactly the right ratio of colors to mix my card didnt endup completely black but it is pretty much black

but when i would take water out of the pot to see the color it looked red i guess i just cooked it for to long or something

btw it wasnt een in there for 15 min!!! its all good ill go get another one tomorrow

510jungleboy 12-06-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtkxhom3r (Post 562705)
i did both of my covers and i wasnt able to get a dark read (little darker than the diamonds cover) so i ended up with 2 blacks lol anyone want to trade a stock cover for a black one?

Where can' i find or buy a replacment cover? Or can you ebay one of yours for me. I did some modification to mine and i need another one to finalize my mod. Thanks.

No1ustad 12-06-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 563104)
Evidently people dont read and cant follow instructions very well. We have another victim of high heat warping their covers. And this time somebody actually made the back start to bubble :disgust: lol. Oh well. If u cant follow simple instructions then thats what u get. A f'd up cover and time wasted. And to the guy who wanted red but got black its obvious that u used too much dye and cooked for too long. Its crazy and sad at the same time since myself, nautica, xweaponx,and others just said to not use high heat or too much dye just recently. Im sick of hearing people mess up such a simple task :protest:.

their loss, not ours.... I'm trying to get one half red and half black with a diagonal separation now.. gettin a lil artsy with this..

yearn 12-06-2008 03:48 PM

Does anyone think grey will cover black?

hempy 12-06-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No1ustad (Post 563511)
their loss, not ours.... I'm trying to get one half red and half black with a diagonal separation now.. gettin a lil artsy with this..

Are you masking, dyeing black, then dyeing the whole thing red? Let us know how it goes.

510jungleboy 12-06-2008 07:20 PM

This is how i did mine.

1) boil the water
2) cut the top off of an empty plastic water bottle where it's big enough to put the cover in.
3) pour the boil water in the plastic water bottle and the dye color of your choice
4) put the cover in and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
5) take out the cover and rinse with cold water and wipe it dry

Now it should be perfect with a lil' buffin' with a soft cloth.

drdjdesi 12-06-2008 10:23 PM

Def wanting to try this. I went to a few Sprint stores, but none have had extra battery covers. Anyone have a spare one they want to sell me?

mtnmedic 12-06-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furiousgtz (Post 557488)
I went to get some more black dye and they are out. Went to two different stores..the demand for RIT DYE has gone up

Heh...I decided to try it this weekend so I went to WalMart in Sacramento..one of the bigger stores (in Natomas) and they were all out of black. In fact even blue. Hmmm....may be more Touch Pro owners in Sac than previously thought? Lots of brown, tan, green and other colours but not black.

So I found black at Rite Aid back home in Grass Valley for $3.18 a box (plus sales tax). Man, were did the OP and others find $1.48 RIT dye? Probably some place OTHER than California, I bet.

I also got a box of royal blue for another cover to try. Now just gotta go score a second cover...

Big D5 12-07-2008 12:41 AM

This game is over everyone pick up your bat and ball then go home.

I am reopening this thread lets not have a replay of the previous issue. Play nice or the game will be over here soon. I have deleted all the necessary posts to clean this thread up lets keep it that way

xxballinboi786 12-10-2008 07:10 PM

wooo hooo!! thread is open once again :D

phistyle 12-10-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D5 (Post 564147)
This game is over everyone pick up your bat and ball then go home.

I am reopening this thread lets not have a replay of the previous issue. Play nice or the game will be over here soon. I have deleted all the necessary posts to clean this thread up lets keep it that way

what happened? I only followed this thread when it opened and stopped following it recently...didn't even know it was closed...

hempy 12-10-2008 07:42 PM

Yay! Thanks D!

wjrandon 12-10-2008 08:31 PM

Well I guess I can update everyone on what has happened to my cover. After we setup Christmas lights around our house I wanted to take some quick snapshots with my phone to show family in another state. All my photos where coming out with light streaks and smudges, it turns out the dye had actually did some damage to the lens cover after all. I tried cleaning it alcohol and while that did actually remove some dye it cause the clear plastic to look foggy. Long story short, I ended up going to Sprint and asking for a replacement battery cover.

Yes, it looked better black, but it was too problematic in the long run with bleeding dye and poorer quality images, just not worth it.

sirdevinster 12-10-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjrandon (Post 571099)
Well I guess I can update everyone on what has happened to my cover. After we setup Christmas lights around our house I wanted to take some quick snapshots with my phone to show family in another state. All my photos where coming out with light streaks and smudges, it turns out the dye had actually did some damage to the lens cover after all. I tried cleaning it alcohol and while that did actually remove some dye it cause the clear plastic to look foggy. Long story short, I ended up going to Sprint and asking for a replacement battery cover.

Yes, it looked better black, but it was too problematic in the long run with bleeding dye and poorer quality images, just not worth it.

Thanks for the tip! Question for everyone that received a replacement battery cover from Sprint...did they charge you for the battery cover, or did you get it for free?

I was just wondering if they did charge how much it would be. Thanks!

notrock 12-10-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eb3604 (Post 543238)
could use vinyl dye too.

Yes! It will cost more. But might hold up better. I'd never do it tho.

http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/Vinyl_Dye
http://www.parasolinc.com/dyes_paints.asp

themuffinman 12-10-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjrandon (Post 571099)

I tried this the same day this thread was created and as of now I have had no issues what so ever, no bleeding of any kind and no problems with the battery cover what so ever and this is with moderate to heavy use of the phone. I did exactly what the original poster said to do.

mromblad 12-10-2008 09:24 PM

i think the issues come when someone has the heat a little too hot. i wish there was a set regulated temp to tell what is best, but even just a little hotter could cause the dye to bleed into the lens (make it foggy) and also not apply right.

themuffinman 12-10-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mromblad (Post 571168)
i think the issues come when someone has the heat a little too hot. i wish there was a set regulated temp to tell what is best, but even just a little hotter could cause the dye to bleed into the lens (make it foggy) and also not apply right.

Like the original poster said, the water should be hot to the touch and not scalding hot or boiling hot

[sammich] 12-10-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirdevinster (Post 571131)
Thanks for the tip! Question for everyone that received a replacement battery cover from Sprint...did they charge you for the battery cover, or did you get it for free?

I was just wondering if they did charge how much it would be. Thanks!

Free is the general consensus. They shouldn't charge you for it considering how cheap it is.

Krayziepop 12-10-2008 09:48 PM

Got my Pro exchanged at Best Buy again today and the guy that did the exchange had to look at both covers several times to figure out what was different about mine :p

I ended up keeping my dyed cover in the end, but the guy was very helpful and even though I bought my Pro back on Oct. 26, he was willing to push through the exchange for me with no hassles (I didn't opt for their insurance plan...)

So far I have had no black dye bleeding from the cover, though I did take it off and rewash it with dishsoap one time about 3 days after dying it - and a little bit of black dye came off with that. Still looks just as spectacular as day one though! :)

TreyBeno 12-11-2008 01:45 AM

Yes it has been established that if the water is too hot it might warp or damage your cover or camera lens. Really, I think all u need it low heat anyway.

chronster 12-11-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mromblad (Post 571168)

I'd say set your burner to just above "Low" (normally marked with 1) and after a few minutes that should heat the water up beyond what can come out of the faucet, but not so hot that it can warp plastic.

TreyBeno 12-11-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 571963)
I'd say set your burner to just above "Low" (normally marked with 1) and after a few minutes that should heat the water up beyond what can come out of the faucet, but not so hot that it can warp plastic.

Pretty much exactly what I said in my post. Look up :evil4:

meccadon123 12-11-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 572519)
Pretty much exactly what I said in my post. Look up :evil4:

Exactly, if you think about it, it's fabric dye meant to be used in a washing machine. I've never seen my washing machine water boil.:mrgreen:

TreyBeno 12-11-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meccadon123 (Post 572566)
Exactly, if you think about it, it's fabric dye meant to be used in a washing machine. I've never seen my washing machine water boil.:mrgreen:

I wonder how many times we r going to have to say this but people can do whatever they want. Its just very risky to do so and I wouldnt play the odds now that someone has reported their camera lens has been affected and is messing up their pics.

aznmode 12-11-2008 03:39 PM

The best way to gauge the right water temperature is with your finger. You should still be able to dip your finger in water for about 1-2 seconds. When it gets to that temperature then turn it down to simmer. Otherwise the water will continue to get hot. What I did on mine was after about 5 minutes of stirring I took the pot out of the stove and just set it on the counter and kept stirring for another 10 minutes. Took it out to check the color and that it wasn't damaged. Put it back in and stirred for another 2 minutes.

I think some covers are getting warped or lens getting discolored because you arent turning down the heat after you've reached the right temperature.

Zero_Shadow 12-11-2008 03:48 PM

OK I have called just about every store in the state of Georgia and I have yet to find any extra covers im to the point I would be willing to pay someone who is able to find some and send one too me.

If anybody is interested let me know I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for suppiles, shipping and of course your time.

Yes I know its a simple process to do but working two jobs, going to school and more time is not something I have the luxury of.

TIA

ksemt7781 12-11-2008 03:55 PM

I have back doors for the TP and Diamond. PM me for more information.
Also for those who don't want to do the work themselves I can also provide pre-dyed
back doors for both the TP and Diamond.

Zero_Shadow 12-11-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksemt7781 (Post 572669)
I have back doors for the TP and Diamond. PM me for more information.
Also for those who don't want to do the work themselves I can also provide pre-dyed
back doors for both the TP and Diamond.

Cool Thanks I'll shoot you a PM thanks

e.lamberson 12-11-2008 06:17 PM

I was at work when I tried it. I took an extra back off of a return, went to Wal Mart and got the dye for $1.62, and then I took a bowl filled it with hot water straight from the sink and then I put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. Put the back into the water for fifteen minutes and pulled it out and it was perfect once I ran it under cold water and let it dry. So anyone with any question of temperature try this and see if it works. The microwave was set to high for five minutes, thats all it took.

TProUserOnSprint 12-11-2008 07:01 PM

Picked up an extra at a Sprint Store today. If they don't have them the first time you ask come back in a couple weeks, they will get some especially if you ask for it. Just ask nicely or come in without a cover on and make up a story.

I did mine on low heat with a full bottle of liquid black for exactly 15 and it came out perfect. Buffing is a must but it only took about 5 minutes to buff it. It did shrink a little bit width wise but still fits on the phone just fine. Looking back on it, I wish I had none a gunmetal grey color, that would have matched a little better with the front than the jet black I was going for. I'm going to pick up two more covers and do this again (this time probably with a half bottle of dye instead) one in Tennessee Orange for game days and one in a forest green. I've also got the hook up at the IS kiosk in my mall and I will get a free IS for the back.

chronster 12-11-2008 08:59 PM

I called my local Sprint store. They have 3 in stock, and she said I could have one for free out of courtesy. Then I asked if I could buy the other two and she hung up on me! LOL

TreyBeno 12-11-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TProUserOnSprint (Post 573129)
Picked up an extra at a Sprint Store today. If they don't have them the first time you ask come back in a couple weeks, they will get some especially if you ask for it. Just ask nicely or come in without a cover on and make up a story.

I did mine on low heat with a full bottle of liquid black for exactly 15 and it came out perfect. Buffing is a must but it only took about 5 minutes to buff it. It did shrink a little bit width wise but still fits on the phone just fine. Looking back on it, I wish I had none a gunmetal grey color, that would have matched a little better with the front than the jet black I was going for. I'm going to pick up two more covers and do this again (this time probably with a half bottle of dye instead) one in Tennessee Orange for game days and one in a forest green. I've also got the hook up at the IS kiosk in my mall and I will get a free IS for the back.

Ive beat u to it :silent: ! I already did all those colors and they came out great. Check out my earlier posts.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...8&d=1228064177

meccadon123 12-11-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 573550)
Ive beat u to it :silent: ! I already did all those colors and they came out great. Check out my earlier posts.

I missed that post too, nicely done. Where'd ya get all those backsssss:headbang:

twe90kid 12-12-2008 12:13 AM

hmm how about pure white dye? that would be cool to make the cover pure white

BlitZ 12-12-2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 573550)

those look sick...

510jungleboy 12-12-2008 01:01 AM

Those are nice colors.