PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46487)

KaziWingX 02-12-2009 12:52 AM

Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobross (Post 542558)
Well, here's my contribution to this experiment...

This is using Rit's "Sunshine Orange" dye. I simply dumped the whole 1-1/8 oz box into a large pot with about 1-1/2 gallons of water for 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally (add salt and pepper to taste).

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8...e003ox4.th.jpg

The cover turned out very... uhh... orange. I'm happy with the results. However, there is one caveat I should mention. I've yet to determine the reason, but as you can (hopefully) see in this second picture below, something during the process caused some blackening around the inside perimeter of the lens cover that I can't clean up.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3...e002yt1.th.jpg

This discoloration doesn't seem to be visible on any photos I've taken with it since though. So unless you really stare at the back lens cover, it really won't be an issue.

Good luck to everyone else willing to make the small sacrifice that is, their battery cover. I'm off to paint some happy trees and sheds. Bob... out.

dude, your covers came out awesome. i cant wait until i get back into the states so i can get my covers and post them up on here!!! congratz man!!!

KaziWingX 02-12-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobross (Post 542667)
Ahhh... quite the provocateur aren't you. ;) I think I'll leave that for another day. I'd like to enjoy the nice finish for a little while

That leaves me with another item of interest to note (sort of along those lines). I had to remove the "Invisible Shield" that I had on the back to get this dyed and noticed that the underside of the shield was discolored from the original finish on the back cover. This wasn't on the entire shield, but just along the curved edges on the right/left sides (if that makes sense). So, does that mean that the original finish is a simple dye job too? Something to ponder... or not.

@Bob,

the invisible sheild actually gets dirty and tans itself (weird, i know) but that is covered in the waranty if you take it back to wherever you got it done. BUT...make sure you let them take it off next time because that stuff has an insane hold and in my time working for them ive seen many ppl break their covers trying to take them off.

kernel610 02-12-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaziWingX (Post 708098)
it depends on where you are. i was with the company when they first started back in Utah. im in PA now and there's one in the King of Prussia mall and they just opened in Delaware. there are also some in California (Sacremento, LA, and i think somewhere in southern CA), they are opening one in FL, there's one in Vegas and a few more...I will definitely let you know when i find out exactly where they all are.

Oh, btw, it IS possible to TINT the shield but you cannot fully color it without damaging the product. as soon as i get back into the states, I'll post up the pix of my back covers.

L8r

Thanks. I live in the Chicagoland area

kernel610 02-14-2009 02:59 AM

so after dying my cover black, I decided to put the Invisible Shield on the battery cover since I didn't put it on when I put the rest of the ones on the phone since I liked the feeling of the original back cover. it looks A TON better with the shield on with the black. It gives it a glossy look so it matches the rest of the phone better. I'd take pics but not sure if it would show up very well.

Anyways, my new goal is to make a back cover that matches the Sprint TP's bottom buttons (home, back, answer, hang up). They are kind of a grayish color. Anyone have any ideas how I can get this. I think if I could pull it off, it would look amazing. I thought maybe just simply putting it in a little bit of the black for a short period of time, but when I checked my original black, it looked more purple than gray. Also adding some blue might add a little tint to it. What do you guys think? Is it possible/worth the trouble?

coolwhip1220 02-14-2009 03:36 AM

They sell a grey dye.

Droobie 02-14-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 705286)
I did some covers myself! I had acquired a large collection of backs before trying, and these are my results.

-The black one with the liquid black dye, took about 1/3rd of the bottle and maybe 15 minutes
-The gold was a fun one. A whole package of Golden Yellow power dye, about 15 minutes as well. This one came out very unique and I like it. Looks much better in person
-Blue was royal blue power, NOT MUCH POWDER and literally took about 4 minutes to get it to this color and I pulled it. I originally tried and left it in about 10 minutes and it looked too purple, so I just went ahead and made it black.
-Red was Scarlet liquid dye. Took about 10-15 minutes. Really like this one.
-OEM one for comparison. It has a crack in the camera lens, so didn't want to dye this one.

In all cases, I had the water on a "4.5" out of 12 options for heat on my stove. I started with hot water from the faucet and let it get hot enough to let my fingers sit in there a few seconds without feeling pain.

http://i41.tinypic.com/x0w8cl.jpg

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/%5BIMG%5Dh....jpg%5B/IMG%5D

I must say that blue cover is absolutely awesome. Makes me want to call Sprint tomorrow and see if I can get the MIR on the upgrade to the Touch Pro considering I'm on the $30 SERO plan...

Matt 02-14-2009 03:38 PM

Yeah, the blue does look good. Just be swift with it, really it did not take more than 4 minutes and I think its a bit more purple than I'd like. If I did it again I'd use a little less powder and pull it in about 3 minutes.

loren646 02-14-2009 07:19 PM

oh... just the phone cover...

falzon03 02-14-2009 07:37 PM

ok so works flalessly and looks damn good (i did mine black...) only problem is my hands were purple for like a week....i died it and cleaned it and let it sit for the night but i had traffic survival school the next day so while i was in their i was txting like crazy and the phone barely left my hand and when i got out the were seriously purple...took about a week for that to stop happening...now its fine though haha

o yeah also the inside of my back died black as well...and it shrunk a lil but now its just on their strurdier which i like lol

xboxexpert 02-16-2009 02:31 AM

I'm going to try dye on a Xbox 360 White Controller.

bujin 02-16-2009 02:32 PM

I finally took the plunge and dyed my cover black - easy as can be, and looks GREAT!!

bryanthomas007 02-20-2009 08:27 PM

I purchased some Rit Dye and heated it and my cover looks great black. Thanks for the tip. Makes the phone look alot more elegant.

Dorenda 02-21-2009 06:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What color did you use to get that pink? I used a full pack of rose pink and mine came out almost red! LOL, Looks good tho. I'll attach pics of mine asap.

clami 02-21-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorenda (Post 728366)
What color did you use to get that pink? I used a full pack of rose pink and mine came out almost red! LOL, Looks good tho. I'll attach pics of mine asap.

you cant use that much when your trying to get light colors.. wen i dyed mine purple i didnt use that much. like 1/5 the packet :silent:

D/\SH 02-21-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorenda (Post 728366)

thats wine and it comes only in liquid form.... you can get at rits website..... i was lucky and found mine at the local grand rapids walmart.

metahari 02-21-2009 09:16 PM

Glad I found this thread! I really hated that awful burgundy color on my Diamond.

Same general process... Cleaned the cover. Heated about 20 oz. of water enough to get some steam. I transferred it to a small plastic storage container so I wouldn't ruin anything. Put the whole pack of dye in, mixed, dropped in the cover and gave it a stir a few times over the course of 10 minutes. Rinsed under cold water, did a little buffing (hardly anything transferred to the cloth) and now it looks great.

Here's another little tip! If you let the cover soak in some white vinegar after rinsing off the excess, the dye smell is much less noticeable. Also, vinegar helps set dye (I soak dark denim in a vinegar/water mix before wearing so the color doesn't rub off on shoes, etc.) so maybe it will help it last longer.

littlefreak 02-21-2009 10:06 PM

I just did mine "Wine" today. Happy with the dying results not happy with how I did it.... I definately put to much in. Probly just like the people doing dark blue I wanted a realy dark Burgundy, but I ended up with almost Black. Funny thing is when I put a drop of water on it Its just the shade I want it! Do I have dye it a lighter color before trying again? Or can I just try again?

D/\SH 02-21-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlefreak (Post 728835)
I just did mine "Wine" today. Happy with the dying results not happy with how I did it.... I definately put to much in. Probly just like the people doing dark blue I wanted a realy dark Burgundy, but I ended up with almost Black. Funny thing is when I put a drop of water on it Its just the shade I want it! Do I have dye it a lighter color before trying again? Or can I just try again?

you cant go from dark to light.... only light to dark.... you will need to go to your local repair shop and they should have some covers in stock.

airibis 02-22-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D/\SH (Post 728652)
thats wine and it comes only in liquid form.... you can get at rits website..... i was lucky and found mine at the local grand rapids walmart.

I was just at the walmart in GR, and didnt see it; they had purple though; and that came out pretty close

D/\SH 02-22-2009 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airibis (Post 729246)
I was just at the walmart in GR, and didnt see it; they had purple though; and that came out pretty close

really? you talking the alpine location or the one out in cascade....... really it is walker or cascade.... at alpine they had the wine colored and plenty of it only in liquid though.

littlefreak 02-22-2009 01:31 AM

I got a pack of powder Wine and black at Publix... I went to walmart the other day to find this stuff but no luck. Then was grocery shopping today and saw it... SCORE! So anyone in southeast US check your local publix. Unfortainatly it didnt come out as well as his Wine so Im gonna dye it full black and try to get a second back.

kimbrojw2 02-22-2009 02:28 AM

how do i go about getting an extra cover from sprint do i just ask them for one or do i make a story up, like it broke or something.

Dorenda 02-22-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbrojw2 (Post 729448)
how do i go about getting an extra cover from sprint do i just ask them for one or do i make a story up, like it broke or something.

All I did was called and verified that the store had some in stock. They said yes! Picked it up the same day. They asked no questions and I told them no lies.

kennyidaho 02-22-2009 05:36 AM

I did black and it looks great. It came off onto my Invisible Shield though. Doesn't matter but surprised me.

TreyBeno 02-22-2009 08:56 AM

Well its been 3 months since i did my first cover which was black. It has finally started to show some wear around the edges by having a purplish reflection on the corners. A simply re-dye will fix this quickly.

keith954 02-22-2009 12:57 PM

what color is the orange cover? is it a a mixture of two colors?

D/\SH 02-22-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith954 (Post 729946)
what color is the orange cover? is it a a mixture of two colors?

that is sunshine orange with a slight amount of wine added.

keith954 02-23-2009 11:02 PM

thanks

clami 02-28-2009 12:31 AM

ok so i got a few extra Pro covers from my friend!
So i mixed up my own dYe powder (NOT LITERALY JUSS MIXED COLORS B4 ADDING DYE TO POT) So i mixed Royal Blue and alittle bit of Purple and it looks really cool! i changes from purple to blue in diffrent lights! I will post pics later when my gf gives my camera back! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

snigma 02-28-2009 11:13 PM

Awesome worked perfect for me, it even worked on my treo 755 as well

dead.bolt 02-28-2009 11:21 PM

damn... at least telus didn't f up the colour this time and it's stock black... i guess they learned that white lg chocolates... white htc touches... are not big sellers.

datawrhsdoc 03-01-2009 12:39 AM

Finally got around to picking up a spare battery cover from the local Sprint Store and dying it. Couldn't have been easier. Now the back cover matches my TF3D blue highlights. Sweet! Next week, I apply invisibleSHIELDs to protect my $1.48 investment. :)

By the way, if you are looking for the RIT dye packs at Wal-Mart superstores, they packs are actually in grocery near the bleach.

bigge4380 03-01-2009 04:45 AM

I've managed to eek out some great looking Burgandy, Purple, blue and green ones. I use the liquid RIT dye. The powder stuff can leave speckles and uneven color from what I've seen.

dallas3022 03-03-2009 02:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was kind of spectical about trying this because it was the original battery door on my diamond touch pro phone and did not have any extra battery doors to replace but did it anyway to see how it came out GREAT

Instruction that i did......

1. Used "RITE DYE" BLACK #15 (They Do have this at wal-mart in the dish/clothes dedergent aisle ) they do have colors other the black also.

2. Turned on stove at med. temp or 5 depending on the model.

3. Get DEEP cooking POT filled with water up half way up

4. Sat down on stove until it started STEAMING hot not **NOT BOILING** WAIT for steam and then turned down to 3 or in the middle of medium and low .

5. washed battery door with soap and water thoroughly to get rid of dirt and the oil from Hands

6. Place battery door in the pot face down make sure fully submerged

7. Set timer for 10 Min. and stir once every 1 min try to not hit the battery door when siring.

8. After 10 min take out of pot with tongs and raise under cold water (during this part do not touch with fingers) take a microfiber towel or normal paper towel and buff the battery door to get rid of any line or smudges on the door.

9. Let sit for 3 to 5 min to dry and your ready to go

pics at the bottom of mine personal i did last night

ManUtd07 03-05-2009 07:04 PM

I have read through here and I have seen different posts regarding how to do this. My question is should the entire packet/amount of dye be used or not. If not how much? Also, does the amount used depend on whether or not you use the liquid or powder dye? Thanks.

KYarb 03-05-2009 09:54 PM

Anybody tried it with an Innocell Extended Battery cover?

coolwhip1220 03-05-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManUtd07 (Post 755476)
I have read through here and I have seen different posts regarding how to do this. My question is should the entire packet/amount of dye be used or not. If not how much? Also, does the amount used depend on whether or not you use the liquid or powder dye? Thanks.

You do not need to use the entire package or bottle. But this depends on the amount of water being used. I use maybe a 5th of the powder in about 3 cups of water, even less of the liquid. You can start by using just a little, and if it's not dark enough, add more.

poorlyduck 03-08-2009 06:23 AM

I was able to collect 3 covers, I did one of them black and I will dye another to a different color later, I used BSE in top of black cover to give it the glossy look. let me tell you it turned out like it just came out from the body shop, I'm very pleased with it.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1227/picturevww.jpg

[sammich] 03-08-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorlyduck (Post 759255)
I was able to collect 3 covers, I did one of them black and I will dye another to a different color later, I used BSE in top of black cover to give it the glossy look. let me tell you it turned out like it just came out from the body shop, I'm very pleased with it.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1227/picturevww.jpg

=D>
I'd tap that.

ManUtd07 03-08-2009 08:47 PM

I tried searching through here but did not find my answer. After using the pot do you simply clean it with soap and water and all is good or do you need to clean in any extra way or is the pot ruined with the dye? I noticed something about using chlorine but want to know if anyone else has some answers as well.