PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46487)

aznmode 11-25-2008 02:36 PM

Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

I'd like to know the SKU or item # as well. There's a Walmart next to my work that I'll be going to for lunch.

I'm also concerned about the camera lens. It maybe of different plastic which may be the reason the dye didn't affect it.

jason25 11-25-2008 02:40 PM

Let's here some more success stories, I want to do this...maybe...yeah I do...I think.

Success100 11-25-2008 02:45 PM

the sku off of the dye would be golden

xweaponx 11-25-2008 02:50 PM

Here is the link to the exact dye I used:

http://www.ritdye.com/Powders.28.51.6.lasso

My Wal-mart only had a set of boxed and bottled dye. Any of the boxed dye for fabrics will work as RIt is likely the only brand Wal-mart carries. (Bottled too except its already in a liquid formula)

This is exactly what I did:
1. Remove cover from phone. Wash to remove any finger prints, oil, etc.
2. Heat small pot of water. Must be hot enough just enough to scald you.
3. Dump dye contents into pot and stir.
4. Submerge battery cover completely and still gently for 15 minutes. Use a soft utensil as to not scrap or scratch your cover.
5. After desired dying is achieved, remove and place under sink spicket and rinse until no more dye is seen. Dry and its ready to use!

It really is that easy.

(Of course I dont take any responsibility. I only offer the experience and results shown thereafter in the pics. Please repeat at your own risk)

orlandojumpoff 11-25-2008 02:56 PM

Thanks!
Please let us know if you start noticing any uneven discoloration or blemishes within the upcoming days/weeks though

eptd 11-25-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 541997)
Here is the link to the exact dye I used:

http://www.ritdye.com/Powders.28.51.6.lasso

So is it $1.48 at Walmart? Link shows $2.49. Don't know if I can do $2.49. lol

Compusmurf 11-25-2008 03:10 PM

The dye shouldn't stick to any "non porous" type plastic. Inside, camera lens area. You should be "golden" there.

I've done this "dye" trick on plastic gun stocks, etc. Works very well.

I don't mind the silver and I have the invisibleshield on there and don't want to mess it up by taking it off now.

The only catch here, is occasionally the salt in the sweat from your hand will cause a bit of slight bleed over onto your skin. Also, eventually it will fade from UV, etc as it's dye and not actual pigment embedded in the plastic. Once every 6 months you might have to re-dye it for the deepest coloring. Maybe longer. Just a guess on the timing based on other porous plastic I've dyed in the past.

wooptiewoous 11-25-2008 03:18 PM

Ok So It Looks Good , Now Even Thou U Washed It Off With Cold Water , Just So Ppl Know My Experance With That Die Has Been Staining Aftermath, Question Is To You How Long Have You Held It At One Time And Did The Die Stain Your Hands ??
Im Sure It Did Till Theres Enuff Wear And Tear..

Cause That Be Some Funny Shiznit To Have A Hundred Ppl Running Around With A Stain Here And There , As Cold It Wont Stain As Bad As It Will Warm. (sweaty Palms)(heated Form Long Call)

But At A Sellers Point To Clean It Up Easy Enuff To Pass It Off To An Unsespecting Buyer ....lol

Surly After You Do It Theres No Return , Again I Have Used Those Dies, As Well As Shoe Polishes To Make Things Look Better For Temp Reasons.

But If You Seal It With Some Type Of Waterprofing Solution That Will Stop The Staining

TheDude1120 11-25-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xweaponx (Post 541997)

(Of course I dont take any responsibility. I only offer the experience and results shown thereafter in the pics. Please repeat at your own risk)

if it messes up u owe me another cover for puttin this idea into my head lololol

xweaponx 11-25-2008 03:35 PM

So far I have taken the first step. Those willing to venture the waters please report your own personal findings. I will report myself any issues with the dying process and longevity thereafter.

This has compelled me to purchase more covers and dye them different colors so that I can mix & match with changing themes. Seems foolish but then when you pay this much for a toy/business powerhouse, why not spend a little here and there to continue its luster...

Hmmm. Maybe I should start a sweat shop, dip & dye covers, and sell them on Ebay for $19.95... plus shipping $6.96. ;-)