PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46487)

xweaponx 11-25-2008 02:07 PM

Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

Nope.
I didnt mask or peel off the camera lense. Its held in places securely so I didnt want to compromise the adhesive. The pics dont do it true justice. The dyeing is consistent all over and turned out exceptional. I simply heated a pot of water & dye and stirred the cover completely submerged for 15 mins on medium; hot enough to almost burn your finger. I couldnt believe it was that simple. Just rinse with cold water until all dye is gone afterwars. Your new colored battery back will smell for a few days from the dye but smelly-nice stuff will fix that. Mine hasnt faded or blemished and I am completely happy with the results.

Also, the inside of the cover doesnt dye all that well but you will never see it anyways...

The dye didnt faze the camera lense at all! And although the pictures may resemble a charcoal color, it is black. The flash on my camera lightened it up in the photo.

IFMISM 11-25-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreyBeno (Post 541876)
This might be worthy of the essentials thread. Does anybody have the guts to try this out and confirm if this works? If so we may be in business. It would be cool if all of us from this site did this to our Pros if its repeatable. it would be our secret sign to each other out in public when we cross paths.

i have a spare battery cover so i will try it out either tonite or tomorrow and post pics if it comes out good.

No1ustad 11-25-2008 02:14 PM

hmm. i wonder if insurance will toss me a new on if mine doesnt turn out...:-s

think i wonna go with a deep red...

thacounty 11-25-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No1ustad (Post 541902)
hmm. i wonder if insurance will toss me a new on if mine doesnt turn out...:-s

think i wonna go with a deep red...

Get a diamond ;) jk...

Success100 11-25-2008 02:20 PM

im trying this on my diamond.....tonight! i have 3 spare battery covers

xweaponx 11-25-2008 02:24 PM

I think I am going to get the red dye. I have a killer red theme that would really set off with a matching battery cover...

You could also mix dyes to create other colors. I think Wal-mart has:
Black
Blue
Navy Blue
Red

Michaels, Hobby Lobby or other craft stores might have a larger variety such as orange, brown, etc. The dye I used and works well is basic fabric dye...

cordevil95 11-25-2008 02:25 PM

Wow, that looks great!! Pending more success stories I'll be giving this a try!

stevedusa 11-25-2008 02:27 PM

Holy crap that's AWESOME!

Do you happen to have the item number, or the SKU of the dye you bought at WalMart? I don't want to buy the wrong item and ruin my cover.

And I just want to confirm again, all you did is just throw the cover into the pot you mentioned earlier, without covering the camera lens part right? Man that does sound easy.

eptd 11-25-2008 02:30 PM

Looks awesome! Have you tried taking pictures yet? I will do this as soon as someone confirms that it doesn't effect pictures.

cornelious2 11-25-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eptd (Post 541945)
Looks awesome! Have you tried taking pictures yet? I will do this as soon as someone confirms that it doesn't effect pictures.

even without mucking with my back cover, I always take the back off to take a picture it guarentees no last second smudge ruins the photo.