PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why Verizon Crippled the Touch Pro

CDMA carriers have to approve the ESN of any device going onto their network. GSM users have the luxury of just popping a SIM card into any GSM device that will run on the network. CDMA carriers right now (at least in the US and I'm sure many other countries) generally do not let unbranded/unapproved devices on their network (except for cricket and probably some other regional carriers).
Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
CDMA carriers right now (at least in the US and I'm sure many other countries) generally do not let unbranded/unapproved devices on their network (except for cricket and probably some other regional carriers).
and soon, the biggest carrier in the US will also allow us to buy any cdma phone and use it with them!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38599
Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

justinm0424 is a n00b

My bet is that Sprint is paying a lot more per phone to get the better one and its not verizon crippling them. But with Verion opening their network and Sprint on the edge of bankruptcy. Sprint is looking more short term trying to attract the customers with better phones where as Verizon is paying less for the phones and planning on Sprint going under so they'll reap the benefits without paying a hefty price for them.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 View Post
My bet is that Sprint is paying a lot more per phone to get the better one and its not verizon crippling them. But with Verion opening their network and Sprint on the edge of bankruptcy. Sprint is looking more short term trying to attract the customers with better phones where as Verizon is paying less for the phones and planning on Sprint going under so they'll reap the benefits without paying a hefty price for them.
Telus already has more or less the same model as sprint, so this really doesn't hold much ground. I'm still not convinced the verizon model will truly be crippled like this as they seem to release the same versions only at most changing (uglifying) the casings, but you probably can't do a whole lot worse than the red sprint one....
Old 10-04-2008, 12:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: .
Carrier: .

PdaOd is a n00b

As Verizon moves to LTE and away from CDMA, what kind of phones will be available to Sprint as the lone CDMA US carrier? By that point it may be a moot point considering Sprint's financial situation. The Sprint Touch Pro may be my next phone, but I can't help but wonder if it will be my last CDMA device. The original 500 min SERO plan is a great deal but may not be worth it if Sprint starts to fall far behind on their offerings. Sprint is probably too committed to WiMax at this point to change directions.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint... wtf is this required?!

willpower101 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBobOneHalf View Post
...but I think I know why Verizon wants to cripple the Touch Pro... ...This time around I think they intend to re-use Touch technology or use different hardware from the Sprint version so that we can't/it makes it harder for us Sprint people to help help out our brothers under Verizon opression.
They have crippled ever pda since back before the ppc-6600.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro PPC-6850
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

JoeBobOneHalf is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdaOd View Post
As Verizon moves to LTE and away from CDMA, what kind of phones will be available to Sprint as the lone CDMA US carrier? By that point it may be a moot point considering Sprint's financial situation. The Sprint Touch Pro may be my next phone, but I can't help but wonder if it will be my last CDMA device. The original 500 min SERO plan is a great deal but may not be worth it if Sprint starts to fall far behind on their offerings. Sprint is probably too committed to WiMax at this point to change directions.
That point I would disagree with you on. it will take a LONG time before Verizon "moves away from" CDMA. It would be like Sprint moving people from Nextel, except there would be no incentive for people to leave CDMA seeing as it's a good network. You're acting as if Verizon will eliminate CDMA in the next year or two. Just my two cents.

m
PHONE HISTORY: Sony Ericsson T61c> LG VX7000 (Charging Port Broke)>LG vx8500 (Chocolate) X5 (Phone was a piece of ****)> LG vx8600> Samsung u740 (I don't even remember by now)> Samsung u740 (No service)> Samsung u740 (10 Dropped calls daily) (Goodbye Verizon) > PPC6800 Mogul)>Moto Q9c> PPC6800 Mogul > PPC6850 Touch Pro (Plus a PPC6900 just for fun)
Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBobOneHalf View Post
That point I would disagree with you on. it will take a LONG time before Verizon "moves away from" CDMA. It would be like Sprint moving people from Nextel, except there would be no incentive for people to leave CDMA seeing as it's a good network. You're acting as if Verizon will eliminate CDMA in the next year or two. Just my two cents.

m
Yeah. There is no way in hell Verizon is just going to flip the switch on their LTE network and shut off the CDMA network... It will be at least another 5 years before they give their CDMA network the kill switch.

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul

nosmohtac is becoming a great contributor

I'm not defending Verizon, in fact I left them for their crippled phones and crippling data prices on PDA phones. But, VZW is expected to get the diamond before the Touch Pro, and their version of the diamond is better IMHO than the one on Sprint. It won't have the built in 4gb of memory, but it will include a MicroSDHC card slot.

To some this might seem like a negative, but I'd rather have the ability to stick one of the new 16gb Sandisk Micro's in my phone.

As far as the touch pro goes, I would imagine the specs will be identical to Sprints, but they may keep the GPS locked so you have to use their nav software. I believe that's what they've done with their version of the 6800.

BTW I switched from VZW to Sprint SERO and hope I don't ever have to go back.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
N00b

nickf126 is a n00b

nosmohtac,
Where are you located, and do you see a difference in service quality?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro