PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: Why Verizon Crippled the Touch Pro

There's no benefit in preventing users from making their phones work better. Anything that makes the users happy enough to stay is a benefit to Verizon. I don't see this as being their logic. As well, I doubt it would be much of a deterrence, anyway. I suspect the ROMs would work right off the bat without trouble.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

m0nti13 is a n00b

I've just been thinking... And this idea might be because I havn't eaten all day, but...

From what I can find... the only evidence that Verizon is going to cripple this phone is a image of the verizon specs next to the sprint specs... Could this just be a tactic of a sprint fan or even employee to try to get "bad press" for verizon... or even people switching who like the phone?

Basically, I've seen nothing leaked from verizon documents... Am I missing something?

Also... this picture looks like a sprint document... how would they know what verizon's specs are? (that's not sarcasm, i'm actually asking)... Does HTC share that info between companies somehow? Or would it be corporate espionage?

Last edited by m0nti13; 09-25-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

While verizon sure does make their phones ugly (*cough* 6800 *cough*), I still have a hard time believing this. I have yet to see HTC manufacture multiple versions of a CDMA handset for the US besides the outer casing. We'll see but that could just be a total fake. Not that I really care since I am with sprint anyways.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

jmstansell is a n00b

HTC may have made a contractual obligation to Sprint that would keep Verizon from matching the options for Sprint's Touch Pro. Sprint usually gets HTC phones first anyway and knowing that there's would be better than thier main competition, would more than likely secure more tech savvy customers.

Just a thought...............
Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

jeraldoronaldo is a n00b

is it possible (if the less robust verizon hardware turns out to be factual) for verizon customers to just purchase the htc branded model as htc intended it to be and activate it themselves? it seems feasible to me, but most likely expensive.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraldoronaldo View Post
is it possible (if the less robust verizon hardware turns out to be factual) for verizon customers to just purchase the htc branded model as htc intended it to be and activate it themselves? it seems feasible to me, but most likely expensive.
Verizon is a CDMA provider. Original HTC (unlocked) is GSM. How do you propose that's feasible?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

from what i believe to be a good source, the touch pro will be called the xv6850 and the specs for it have not yet been released.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=429429
Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

jeraldoronaldo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Verizon is a CDMA provider. Original HTC (unlocked) is GSM. How do you propose that's feasible?
this may come off as sarcastic but uh..... doesnt htc make the cdma version? or will every cdma handset be branded by its respective carrier and have the pertaining hardware? i dont know how these things work.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO SHIFT 4G

dizidi is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeraldoronaldo View Post
this may come off as sarcastic but uh..... doesnt htc make the cdma version? or will every cdma handset be branded by its respective carrier and have the pertaining hardware? i dont know how these things work.
+1 on that. If HTC can make an unlocked gsm device, can't they also make an unlocked cdma device???
Old 09-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardizidifer View Post
+1 on that. If HTC can make an unlocked gsm device, can't they also make an unlocked cdma device???
There's no market for unlocked CDMA. GSM's a worldwide standard, and all the other countries have unlocked phones. It's a very normal, typical thing to make an unlocked GSM phone as in other countries it's a very normal, typical thing to buy your phone with no regard for what provider you have. CDMA is very proprietary, though. In the US, unlocked phones are still a very new and rare concept. It's too small a market for HTC to support. The only reason unlocked models are hitting the US at all is because they're already manufacturing them for other countries. CDMA doesn't have this support elsewhere, so they'd literally be manufacturing a run of a few hundred, at best, which just makes no economic sense.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro