PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] **Complete Froyo Bundle!!** FRX05 - "Stable" - Camera!

me again, just updating my android problems to try to find help :S

When I turn off the android (not "off" but just press power to turn off screen), I can't seem to wake the screen back up, the real buttons (keyboard/volume) seem to work since I can hear them but the screen stays off. I have to soft reset it back into windows to be able to use phone again. I looked on xda and found someone suggested changing the pm.sleepmode to something else, and I've tried them all and problem still persists.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
me again, just updating my android problems to try to find help :S

When I turn off the android (not "off" but just press power to turn off screen), I can't seem to wake the screen back up, the real buttons (keyboard/volume) seem to work since I can hear them but the screen stays off. I have to soft reset it back into windows to be able to use phone again. I looked on xda and found someone suggested changing the pm.sleepmode to something else, and I've tried them all and problem still persists.
You should put it to 1 (one).

With that said, do older kernels exhibit this behavior? There was some panel collapse code added, but I thought it would only effect RHOD, not RAPH... Basically the panel on RAPH is not being collapsed at all - even tho it appears off/in sleep, the panel is always sucking power. Brightness is just set to 0 - hence the horrible battery drain.

If you can collapse the panel (along with as much else as possible) you will get much better battery life. This has helped out RHOD a lot, but caused issues with panel wake, timing, etc.

So, perhaps you should try an older kernel from the autobuild service - you won't get all the newest features, but perhaps you can pinpoint which kernel it started happening in, so we can pinpoint which commit broke sleep on your device.

FYI, the panel wake is still an issue on RHOD as well, even with sleep_mode=1. If you put it to sleep and wake it back up, it's usually OK, but still annoying. It's even worse if there's background processes running - for example downloading updates from the Market, etc.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work

hm, I'll try an older kernel... but I dont know how to do this exactly, could you give some steps to this? Since I just downloaded the all in one zip file and dragged it to sd card, I didn't have to set anything up.

hm, the collapse thing might be right, the battery was dying fast and it did look like screen was on but it was dark :S

edit: I think i'm figuring out how to switch out the kernel. I'm downloading new one and modifying the startup.txt. Seems to be working but if I'm doing it wrong let me know

update:tried most of the ones from the autobuild page and they all have same problem with power collapse :S if anyone knows of one that doesnt have problem, let me know and i'll try it. For now I'll use windows again (its reason I liked it before, no bugs with hotspoting/sleeping lol) I'd move to previous eclair but I like having camera. Its also reason I'm not moving onto gingerbread since it lacks camera as well

edit: i decided to switch to gingerbread since i saw camera was working seems like I don't have the power collapse issue. But I wont know till I use it for more than a hour lol

Last edited by EyeB; 03-14-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Ok, I answered some of your questions in the gb thread. I'll try to address your kernel questions here.

There is a how-to in the first post on updating/changing your kernel - did you read it? Because it doesn't mention anything about changing your startup.txt . That is one way to make it pickup the kernel, I prefer renaming the zImage so there is no need to mess with the startup.txt - in addition, you need to be careful about the modules! All of this is explained in the first post...

You comment about trying most of the ones from the autobuild page confound me - there's... let's just say more than a couple. The link to autobuild is on the first page, and there's a ton for you to try. I'm thinking somewhere in November, but not positive. Cam won't work, along with a lot of other things as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Seems like I was doing it right. I followed all the steps except renaming zimage which was why I changed the startup.txt to reflect new zimage

when I said tried most of them, the ones I picked were ones that had more positive than negatives and the ones that mentioned raph800 working.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Seems like I was doing it right. I followed all the steps except renaming zimage which was why I changed the startup.txt to reflect new zimage

when I said tried most of them, the ones I picked were ones that had more positive than negatives and the ones that mentioned raph800 working.
You can certainly modify the startup.txt to pickup the new kernel, it does work either way. For sanity's sake, I usually tell people to not do that - but you there's nothing stopping you from doing it this way, if it's what you prefer.

Just tends to trip people up when they go renaming stuff in the startup.txt - just so long as you're aware to check that if you're not able to boot .

With that said, I wonder if it is the system image... Have you used any older images? Triaging is a pain, but it's necessary to get to the root cause of a problem...
Old 03-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

the only older one i would have would be from eclair :S i don't recall if problem was there or not.

Aside from this recent kernel modification, I havent really touched any of the android files since I dont knwo what im doing
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

KinGanon is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Well... I've tried running this and the Gingerbread bundles and both don't seem to run...

Interestingly enough, both stop at a line of code that says "Unzip your rootfs to the SD card" or something along those lines. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to do?

I'm running a Touch Pro(CDMA) on Sprint for reference...
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinGanon View Post
Well... I've tried running this and the Gingerbread bundles and both don't seem to run...

Interestingly enough, both stop at a line of code that says "Unzip your rootfs to the SD card" or something along those lines. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to do?

I'm running a Touch Pro(CDMA) on Sprint for reference...
Are you running this at the root of your SD or within a folder?

If it's within a folder, you need to set the rel_path= statement in your startup.txt (as stated in the first post).

Without the rel_path= statement, you must have everything at the root of the SD. This is your problem with both builds I would imagine .
Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

KinGanon is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Are you running this at the root of your SD or within a folder?

If it's within a folder, you need to set the rel_path= statement in your startup.txt (as stated in the first post).

Without the rel_path= statement, you must have everything at the root of the SD. This is your problem with both builds I would imagine .
Yep, that would appear to be the problem. Thanks.

Once I got it running, it seems this version crashes a lot more than the previous Froyo I was running...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro