PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: WM7 on Pro2

Just out of curiosity, since Snapdragon is made by Qualcomm even if HTC release a phone with this chipset next year, what makes you think that HTC will buy the drivers needed to make the phone work efficiently?

Is it that Microsoft will dictate to be compliant it has to have minimum 3d frame rates or something?

I figured Tegra would be something to drool over but with HTC's history with Qualcomm is anyone else worried that this will flop too?

What I am missing?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

gutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuff
Re: WM7 on Pro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpoweruser View Post
htc is likely to use the tp2 as a test device for wm7 because it is their flagship phone and will still b in feb so hopefully we will get a leak unless htc has another full qwerty phone in the piple line and if so we haven't i hear about it yet

and it was more than a year between the tp1 and tp2 realese so if wm7 comes in feb it would have to be on the tp2 especially sine htc wants to focus on lower end phones and android so the tp3 is even farther off than that
Do you really think WM7 will be out by Feb. WM 6.5 hasn't even came out yet, The TP1 hasn't got any info on a official update to WM6.5 yet. Here you talk about the TP2 getting WM7 Lol. If HTC wants the TP2 to have WM7 they probably would advertise it instead of advertising 6.5 upgradeable. Upgrading A OS on old phones cost money why would HTC want to spend money upgrading the OS when they can make a brand new phone for us suckers to buy and rack in $$$.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

christr is just getting started

Not sure why people think WM7 will be out in Feb... reports I see show an expected release in late 2010. (even a prior post here mentioned Q4 2010, and a 'touch optimized' 6.5 in Feb 2010).

--Chris
Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Zap! is becoming a great contributor

I heard Q4 2010 as well. And suppose it's delayed until early 2011? All you people worried about the TP2 not handling it think about this: I love my TP2. It's the very best in September, 2009. But no way in Hell will it hold up until early 2011.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3924/signaturekny.png
Old 09-23-2009, 03:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: verizion

aaronpoweruser is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to aaronpoweruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutrrob View Post
Do you really think WM7 will be out by Feb. WM 6.5 hasn't even came out yet, The TP1 hasn't got any info on a official update to WM6.5 yet. Here you talk about the TP2 getting WM7 Lol. If HTC wants the TP2 to have WM7 they probably would advertise it instead of advertising 6.5 upgradeable. Upgrading A OS on old phones cost money why would HTC want to spend money upgrading the OS when they can make a brand new phone for us suckers to buy and rack in $$$.
true but the tp2 will still b used for beta testing so their is still a chance and they might upgrade it because they dont want to spend the money to devolop another top tier phone because they are moving to android which means lower end phones
Old 09-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
true but the tp2 will still b used for beta testing so their is still a chance and they might upgrade it because they dont want to spend the money to devolop another top tier phone because they are moving to android which means lower end phones
one sprint isn't moving away from winmo to android. it is acquiring another os. now it has palm, winmo, blackberry, and android. Android is not built for the business consumer android is built for everyday popular use which is why you are required to have an everything data plan, which means 69.99, 89.99, or 99.99. people with sero will not be able to receive that phone. 2nd sprint doesn't invest too much into making the phone, htc makes the phone, winmo makes the sys, and sprint just adds oems, they do not actually develop the phone, which is why sprint, att, tmobile, and verizon all have the phone. What are you saying sprint is going to stop selling winmo and everyone else will? the tp2 will not be used as a test device, you must have missed these post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflipper View Post
unless HTC makes the BSP packages for the Pro2, then you will not see it, it can not be ported, unless it is realyl hacked together, its not like 6.5 or 6.1, its written in CE OS 7, and everything is brand new. So you would need all new drivers to be written over, you would need all Bootloader to be redone.

Will it run with the specs, sure it will run, but unless HTC makes a last decision move to support it, (<1% chance) you will not see it, unless someone rewrites the drivers and bootloader and everything all over again to match CE OS 7.

It is not impossable, but its very very unlikely it will happen, I have decided to hold off on buying a new device this year,

WM 6.5 End of Life is in February at that time MS is going to only build WM7 builds, and work on that, at that time, D2 and TP2 will not be recieving new SYS upgrades.

WM7 has reached Milestone 6 last I heard, it requires hardware acceleration, because the home screen involves a lot of transparent images, and so without the hardware acceleration, it wont display right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conflipper View Post
HTC Leo, HTC Qilin, Asus Galaxy can all run WM7 right now, they have the proper stuff from the manufactures to run and support it.

Last edited by p-slim; 09-23-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: verizion

aaronpoweruser is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to aaronpoweruser

htc has realesed information saying they ar moving away from the high end market as well as going into android development
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Touch Pro 2 Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 09-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
htc has realesed information saying they ar moving away from the high end market as well as going into android development
you are a very silly man read this article and educate yourself because you have sadly been misinformed
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Just out of curiosity, since Snapdragon is made by Qualcomm even if HTC release a phone with this chipset next year, what makes you think that HTC will buy the drivers needed to make the phone work efficiently?

Is it that Microsoft will dictate to be compliant it has to have minimum 3d frame rates or something?

I figured Tegra would be something to drool over but with HTC's history with Qualcomm is anyone else worried that this will flop too?

What I am missing?
your missing the fact the microsoft now has minimum spec requirements for the WM 7 devices and if you don't meet those requirements then you don't get to buy a copy of the software. That being said those minimum requirements are pretty damn good and HTC almost has no choice but to comply or lose a relationship with the copmany that help put them on the map

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2