PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you having trouble staying in 3G? Is your VZW TP2 getting stuck in 1X mode?
Yes, I'm getting stuck in 1X AND I used to have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 16 7.27%
Yes, I'm getting stuck in 1X but I did NOT have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 117 53.18%
No, no problems here AND I used to have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 7 3.18%
No, no problems here and I never had a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 80 36.36%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are you having trouble staying in 3G (getting stuck in 1X), VZW TP2 folks?

Well I just reset and lo and behold, I'm holding 3G. Instead of doing my normal soft-reset this time, I fully powered down via the end key and waited about 30 seconds before powering back up. Hopefully it will stick.

How is everyone soft-resetting? Reset button? Software cab? End key? Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the full shut-down and waiting a bit to turn back on does something.

Last edited by janko10; 09-18-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt

RobsOnLine is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko10 View Post
Well I just reset and lo and behold, I'm holding 3G. Instead of doing my normal soft-reset this time, I fully powered down via the end key and waited about 30 seconds before powering back up. Hopefully it will stick.

How is everyone soft-resetting? Reset button? Software cab? End key? Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe the full shut-down and waiting a bit to turn back on does something.
I used the End Key to shut it down. Previously, I just did a soft reset via software cab. This was the first time I tried a shutdown. Well now we have two data points that this maybe a short term fix, but it sure would be nice to find a long term solution.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

This is definitely NOT a signal issue or lack of 3G coverage. Let me give an example. I drove from Seattle to Portland and had 3G coverage the entire way there and the following day. I then boarded a flight from Portland to Seattle and when I landed in Seattle, I powered up my phone and all I could get was a 1X signal. I waited almost an hour for it to pick up 3G and when it didn't I finally did a *228 option 1 to reprogram. When the programming was complete, the phone rebooted and I had a solid 3G connection. When I woke up the next morning my phone was stuck back on a 1X connection. Again I did a *228 and got it back. A few hours later I drove across town, and it reverted back to 1X. I had my laptop with a Verizon aircard with me and it had a solid 3G signal. About an hour later I reprogrammed again and got it back. The image below (IP address edited), is what you should see in field trial if everything is good. It will say 1=Authenticated and you will have an IP address. The HDR session state should be 4=Open State. If these fields say anything else, you are failing to establish an EVDO session.

I did do a hard reset last night and have been in 3G ever since. I'll report back later.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Almost a VIP

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko10 View Post
I thought that at one point also, but I've had the same issue using the End key to shut down/soft reset.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia SCH-i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Kaiser Bob is a n00b

As you've noticed when you are stuck on 1x you are failing AAA authentication preventing a mobile IP connection. Sometimes an old phone still programed with your number and powered on can mess with authentication. It sounds unlikely that applies here though, dropping authentication upon power up/down sounds like something that might need a maintenance release.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZN

FordTaurus is a n00b

Same issue here. No signal issues, etc. Have tried soft reset and END reset. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes not. *228 had no effect for me any time so far. Have been stationary with the phone so not a location issue I think.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:40 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

I also had a Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon. I must say, that I have had a much more consistent Data connection since upgrading to the Touch Pro 2. Maybe it's just pure dumb luck, however, having a Sprint phone previously, seems to have had zero negative impact on my current devices reception.

I even get a signal in places now, where I did not at all before! Sounds like a hard reset may be in order to correct that issue. Surely there may be a less destructive way though, for those with this issue.

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: CDMA Touch Pro 2

sfetaz is just getting started

I maintain a constant 3G connection except when on a call. I assume thats normal
Old 09-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by santod View Post
Sounds like a hard reset may be in order to correct that issue. Surely there may be a less destructive way though, for those with this issue.
Done lots of hard resets with no success. However, I did call Verizon level 2 support on Friday night (again) and this time the guy said he was going to open a ticket with their advanced networking group. He also did another DMU reset. I haven't had this issue since - knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfetaz View Post
I maintain a constant 3G connection except when on a call. I assume thats normal
Yes, that is normal.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

janko10 is keeping up the good workjanko10 is keeping up the good work

Well I had another episode over the weekend on Saturday night. Was using my phone for a bit, all was normal, went back to it later and noticed I was only in 1X. Tried soft-resetting and long end key resetting but could not get 3G back. I checked my wife's pos Q and it had 2 EV bars so it wasn't a tower issue. It was late in the evening so I decide to leave it on overnight in 1X. Still in 1X in the morning. I reset then and I had 3G back. That fact that it's so intermittent and that at certain times certain 'remedies' will work and at other times they won't is just weird.

8 let us know if you hear back from them about the trouble ticket. The poll still seems about half and half with people having issues.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2