PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have 1 or more dead pixel on your pro 2?
YES 54 32.93%
NO 110 67.07%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro 2 dead or stuck pixel POLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff View Post
Exil3d... after reading this and the huge post before it, i think the issue could be a little misunderstood. This thread should be closed. We need a new thread/poll, created by a mod would be best, to show people how to test and so we can gather some real information (a link to this thread would be nice just so people can read up on the discovery). The camera thing may be showing an issue with a camera under dark conditions, not with the display as we are currently thinking.

In my opinion... people should be doing separate tests for the camera and the screen itself. Maybe provide black and white images in the original post, so people can check the display (just like the user i quoted did)... also, if the issue is just for the camera with some people, they should actually take a pic and see if there are stuck pixels in the results.

Just honest and simple suggestions. At this point, although i believe there are phones out there with stuck pixels, i think this thread has confused a lot of people, including myself.

Exil3d, if you truly want the best/honest results about the tp2 pixel problem, i think you'd agree to this. Although i don't have problems with my display, i still want to see how many are affected because i will be purchasing at least 1 more. A more detailed poll would be nice too... like the different levels of the issue. The current poll does nothing for us. It doesn't alert people if they'd notice anything during regular use or not. A stuck pixel that shows up with regular use would surely be considered more of an issue than a pixel that only shows up when using the camera under blacked out conditions...

Examples of choices for an informative poll:
- stuck pixels are visible during regular use
- stuck pixels are only visible on very white/black screens
- stuck pixel are only visible using camera test
- stuck pixels show up on both camera and screen tests
- no stuck pixels here

Anyone else think we should redo this, in an effort to get to the bottom of the issues???
Sound like a good idea. But personally I like polls easy for even a caveman. A simple yes theres pixel problems and No, flawless LCd like it should be. But go ahead, start another thread and see how that dat comes out. It wont hurt. Some people might get more angry since they wish not to hear anything bad about the Pro 2 but then again, who cares.. they are the minority.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

I was over at Sprintusers.com and I checked out the Pro2 section. Someone created a thread "Touch Pro 2 problems". And he wrote "Ok.. its been 1 week since Sprint Released the Pro2 and we all have it now. So what problems do you have?" And the very first respond he got was .. "I have 1 dead pixel.".
Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
Sound like a good idea. But personally I like polls easy for even a caveman. A simple yes theres pixel problems and No, flawless LCd like it should be. But go ahead, start another thread and see how that dat comes out. It wont hurt. Some people might get more angry since they wish not to hear anything bad about the Pro 2 but then again, who cares.. they are the minority.
People do wish to hear about issues with this phone, i know i do. ive posted many issues that i dont care for/wish to see resolved. what they dont want is someone finding any excuse to bash the phone without acknowledging the positive aspects. I personally think a more detailed poll would be very beneficial. preferably with information on how best to get resolution per each carrier. you know... something to actually help users. novel idea huh? I know verizon is pretty easy on returns but sprint is a different matter. Perhaps someone could try and contact a regional manager, get his/her info so everyone who has this issue can contact them and express their concern over a possibly serious hardware issue. Someone should also contact the manufacturer. Would people here be willing to create a generic complaint form too fill out and request a permanent production change?

Phone

Sprint
PPC-6600

Verizon
Samsumg i760
HTC VX6800 - Mogul
HTC VX6850 - Touch Pro
HTC VX6875 - Touch Pro 2

Feathered Access -
Free Live Mobile Television On The Go!
http://featheredaccess.com

Last edited by eldersoul; 09-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic
Carrier: Sprint

obamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularobamaftw08 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=85837

what this poll should of been...
Old 09-19-2009, 01:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

delfin2003 is keeping up the good workdelfin2003 is keeping up the good workdelfin2003 is keeping up the good work

Alright guys, so i've got around 30 stuck pixels but no dead ones. However only 3 are BARELY noticable on the dark screen, the rest I had to REALLY REALLY(!!!) look for, it is really HARD to see them. As someone already pointed out, the stuck pixels were green color and some, on my phone, had a slight light green/red hue to them. SO, what I decided to do, it to take a microscope with 100x magnification, and take a look at what this stuck pixel is actually doing! I know you probably think that stuck pixel is a bad one, and does not work, BUT, its is FALSE for the 15+ stuck pixels that I inspected!!! The stuck pixels are NOT STUCK, and they actually DO work !! As you all know, a pixel is a combination of RGB tft transistors positioned really close together. When I looked under a microscope with a phone's screen showing black background (provided in this thread from a zip file) at the three brightest "stuck pixels", I noticed that only about the 1/8 of the red tft and 1/8 green tft emit more light while the rest of the pixel is emitting very low light (that's for the pixel with green/red hue to it. Pixel with green hue had only a tiny part of green tft malfuntion)! So for some reason, a manufacturing defect of some kind, a tiny fraction of the tft transistor (green or red and green) is getting more power even thought the rest of the tft transistor(s) is getting low power and lights up evenly. A good pixel had all of its RGB tft transistors light up low and evenly while displaying this black background. Once I closed the photo album, the "stuck" pixel lit up, and all three RGB tft transistors worked just like the rest on the good pixels on the screen, however I could still see a little bit of uneven lighting on the tiny portion of defective tft. So the only reason WHY you see dead pixels on the dark screen is because while most of the pixel is off, a tiny part of green or green and red tft is lit up more than the rest and you see it stand out. Under normal use, you will not be able to see a stuck pixel unless its really bad, which in my case never is! I also stopped by a TMobile store, and inspected the screen on TP2..sure enough, there were stuck pixels! I think it's just a common thing, so please don't be too freaked out! Remember, you screen has 384,000 pixels and having them all being perfect is nearly impossible. I guarantee you I will find at least several "stuck pixels" for all the users that said they didn't have any in this thread. So, there's my conclusion to the story!

Regards,
Mikhail

Edit, just attacked an illustration of what's happening with a stuck pixel while viewing a dark background. As you can see, most of the pixel is lit up evenly, but a tiny part of green tft or green and red tfts are lit up brighter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whats_actually_going_on.jpg (19.0 KB, 39 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by delfin2003; 09-19-2009 at 01:56 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

docprego is becoming a great contributor

So I guess my current TP2 with 1 stuck pixel is about as good as I should expect from one of these devices?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

delfin2003 is keeping up the good workdelfin2003 is keeping up the good workdelfin2003 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post
So I guess my current TP2 with 1 stuck pixel is about as good as I should expect from one of these devices?
Don't even worry about it!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 AM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

For educational purposes a more scientific approach to this issue: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=85908
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali
Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin2003 View Post
Alright guys, so i've got around 30 stuck pixels but no dead ones. However only 3 are BARELY noticable on the dark screen, the rest I had to REALLY REALLY(!!!) look for, it is really HARD to see them. As someone already pointed out, the stuck pixels were green color and some, on my phone, had a slight light green/red hue to them. SO, what I decided to do, it to take a microscope with 100x magnification, and take a look at what this stuck pixel is actually doing! I know you probably think that stuck pixel is a bad one, and does not work, BUT, its is FALSE for the 15+ stuck pixels that I inspected!!! The stuck pixels are NOT STUCK, and they actually DO work !! As you all know, a pixel is a combination of RGB tft transistors positioned really close together. When I looked under a microscope with a phone's screen showing black background (provided in this thread from a zip file) at the three brightest "stuck pixels", I noticed that only about the 1/8 of the red tft and 1/8 green tft emit more light while the rest of the pixel is emitting very low light (that's for the pixel with green/red hue to it. Pixel with green hue had only a tiny part of green tft malfuntion)! So for some reason, a manufacturing defect of some kind, a tiny fraction of the tft transistor (green or red and green) is getting more power even thought the rest of the tft transistor(s) is getting low power and lights up evenly. A good pixel had all of its RGB tft transistors light up low and evenly while displaying this black background. Once I closed the photo album, the "stuck" pixel lit up, and all three RGB tft transistors worked just like the rest on the good pixels on the screen, however I could still see a little bit of uneven lighting on the tiny portion of defective tft. So the only reason WHY you see dead pixels on the dark screen is because while most of the pixel is off, a tiny part of green or green and red tft is lit up more than the rest and you see it stand out. Under normal use, you will not be able to see a stuck pixel unless its really bad, which in my case never is! I also stopped by a TMobile store, and inspected the screen on TP2..sure enough, there were stuck pixels! I think it's just a common thing, so please don't be too freaked out! Remember, you screen has 384,000 pixels and having them all being perfect is nearly impossible. I guarantee you I will find at least several "stuck pixels" for all the users that said they didn't have any in this thread. So, there's my conclusion to the story!

Regards,
Mikhail

Edit, just attacked an illustration of what's happening with a stuck pixel while viewing a dark background. As you can see, most of the pixel is lit up evenly, but a tiny part of green tft or green and red tfts are lit up brighter.
nice write up man....
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2